1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BeOS

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by thylvin, Aug 4, 2011.

1. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

I would like to know who of you know this Operating System or has used it before.

Just a little lowdown on it.

co-founded my engineers of both Microsoft and Apple. it is according to me the best OS built for multi-media there is. It is build on the Unix platform with Apple's multi-media capabilities and with windows vastly customizability.

You can open several movies at the same time, yet it never hanged and which ever movie screen had the focus, that sound is streamed to your speakers, change the focus to another movie and that sound is streamed to your speakers.

i once opened 50 movies at the same time and never once experienced a lag.

Unfortunately the company did close down so development on it was stopped. Several other companies grabbed the source code and developed their own version of the operating system but it never was like it's original. The personal edition R5 is free to download and can be installed next to windows on its own hard drive or live inside a single file on the same drive!

If any of you know this please let me know, i would like to get hold of a OS that is as good as BeOS and if any of you actually own the full version of R5, i would like to take it off your hands.

2. Zontar

You can try Haiku.

3. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thx i'll check it out

4. starfish

BeOS, haven't thought about that in years. Back in the day I really wanted a BeBox. They pop up from time to time, but they go for crazy high prices.

Though I didn't think that BeOS was UNIX based. I thought it was a completely new kernel design.