1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is gonna sound really stupid (laptop keyboard)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by AngelicDemonic, Aug 4, 2011.

1. AngelicDemonic

But I managed to get wax inbetween some of the keys and the speakers on my keyboard.

Um. It's not effecting function and i scraped a lot of it out, but is there any way I can get the rest out w/o ruining my computer?

Yes, I'm retarded. No, I'm not putting teacandles on my laptop again.

2. Gaetan

Google your computer make and model and something to the effect of "keyboard removal" or the like. If it's a common machine, you can probably find guides on how to safely remove, clean, and reattach the keyboard.

3. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it is not a laptop, simply unplug the keyboard (if it is a usb) and turn it around. on the bottom you will find lots of screws, take that apart and remove the back cover (take note a few screws might be hidden behind stickers, and or the rubbery parts that stops the keyboard from slipping on smooth surfaces. Do not worry if its glued on and that you have to completely remove it. Just use super glue when you put it back together.

Most keyboard makes, the keys are attached to the top part of the keyboard... in that case just simply wash it off, let it dry for about an hour in the sun and put it back together.

If not, take the keys each individual, place them in the order you take them out (like making a keyboard of just the keys) on a flat empty surface on the table. When you put it back together you will know where each button comes. Also not that large keys like the "space", "enter", "shift" etc. might have little metal bars that attach to the fitting.

Some keyboards, the layer just after the actual keys has a plastic membrane that is either one on a sheet or lots of little rubber type of buttons. The function of these is to push the keys back up once you pressed it. you can clean that with normal soapy water and let it dry.

Next get electric contact cleaner that is certified for electric circuits and clean the last layer (usually either a board similar to a circuit board or 3 layers of plastic sheeting that are stuck together)

Once all of that is done you just need to put it back together and plug it back in.

I would advise you to check the warranty issues first because taking it apart violates the warranty!

If you are not sure on how to do it, check the name and model number of the keyboard (usualy underneath the keyboard) and google (cleaning make model keyboard) There might even be a video clip on youtube that shows you exactly what to do and how to do it.

---------- Post added 6th Aug 2011 at 11:48 AM ----------

If it is not a laptop, simply unplug the keyboard (if it is a usb) and turn it around. on the bottom you will find lots of screws, take that apart and remove the back cover (take note a few screws might be hidden behind stickers, and or the rubbery parts that stops the keyboard from slipping on smooth surfaces. Do not worry if its glued on and that you have to completely remove it. Just use super glue when you put it back together.

Most keyboard makes, the keys are attached to the top part of the keyboard... in that case just simply wash it off, let it dry for about an hour in the sun and put it back together.

If not, take the keys each individual, place them in the order you take them out (like making a keyboard of just the keys) on a flat empty surface on the table. When you put it back together you will know where each button comes. Also not that large keys like the "space", "enter", "shift" etc. might have little metal bars that attach to the fitting.

Some keyboards, the layer just after the actual keys has a plastic membrane that is either one on a sheet or lots of little rubber type of buttons. The function of these is to push the keys back up once you pressed it. you can clean that with normal soapy water and let it dry.

Next get electric contact cleaner that is certified for electric circuits and clean the last layer (usually either a board similar to a circuit board or 3 layers of plastic sheeting that are stuck together)

Once all of that is done you just need to put it back together and plug it back in.

I would advise you to check the warranty issues first because taking it apart violates the warranty!

If you are not sure on how to do it, check the name and model number of the keyboard (usualy underneath the keyboard) and google (cleaning make model keyboard) There might even be a video clip on youtube that shows you exactly what to do and how to do it.

4. GuardianKitten

You are a pyro, and an idiot.

You already "borrowed" my tech cleaning goo stuff - would you put that back by the way? - did that help?

@Thylvn, um. Laptops have the computer parts under the keys I believe. Washing it sounds like a good way to destroy a $500 piece of machinery that's still under warranty.

5. QuestionMark

QuestionMark Guest

If you haven't already fixed it....this is sort of different, but once I spilt orange juice on a Mac Aluminum keyboard. My dad's really good at this stuff, so he basically took a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol on it (NOT water, water is bad) and wiped the whole keyboard, including in between the keys. Then, using a knife, he actually popped the keys off, prying gently from the bottom of each key with the knife. I know this sounds like you're basically destroying your keyboard, but if you wipe gently under the keys you should be able to get all the matter off without harming the computer. However, I'm not sure that this will work with wax due to its consistency.

6. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't know it was a laptop it wasn't specified... if it was though, then he's screwed. You can not easily take the keys of and put it back on, it has little itsy bitsy parts that will break easily and you can't get it fixed. The best in such a situation is to take it back to the place it was brought.

The most you can do however.. if it is out of warranty, is to take it apart, get a blower and blow most of the stuff out. use a ear wipe and get all the stuff out as much as you can. You can even use a tooth pick. but I have to warn you, taking a laptop apart is pretty much like a large laser printer you always have a few extra screws you don't know where it should go. Ask me, i have taken my laptop apart twice... first for cleaning (and then I was left with 3 screws) and afterwards to fix a sound problem due to a little wire that got loose and the 3 screws i had over i used again and now i miss 1 screw. so it is vital important to know where you take the screws out.

Most laptop's keyboards are screwed in from the bottom, so check everywhere, also not where all the wires are when you take it apart, chances are you have to remove a few components and wires t get the keyboard loose.

Check on youtube if someone hasn't made a vid on how to clean your particular model and make.

7. QuestionMark

QuestionMark Guest

*she

and she said 'I'm not putting teacandles on my laptop again,' so I'm pretty sure it's a laptop xD

8. Steve712

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Laptop keyboard was specified in the title, too.

9. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eek: i didn't see this part... or it was the Jerry Springer show that desturbed my concentration on reading it :lol: