1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interested in RPG making?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Rinto, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Rinto

Rinto Guest

I know I may sort of sound like I'm gaining attention for an advertisement but no. I just wanna know if there's someone here who is interested to make an RPG.
    Like:
    1. Are you interested in making an RPG?

2. If so/ not so, why or why not?

3. What part of RPGs do you enjoy the most?

I personally am making one (yeah, a wannabe ^_^"). But hey, I guess there's nothing wrong with that. I'm so interested because I feel like I could break all laws of nature and defy regulations to rewrite a new life. Wouldn't that be wonderful ^_^? What forced me to go RPG making are the stories from other RPGS. They touched me so much that I felt like doing it too to others.

So, what do you think? If, by any chance, this topic is inappropriate for any kind of discussion that should not belong here, please feel free to remove it.

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would love to make an RPG one day! :grin:
    However, since I can't do the programming, all my characters and stories are relegated to Word documents and notebooks.

I do hope to get into game translation/localization in the future, though, so I guess that's as close as I'll ever get...

3. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

There's absolutely nothing wrong with or inappropriate about your post.

I've been interested in RPG making in the abstract sense, since I've always been interested in video game design and RPGs are among my favorite kind of games. However, being that I know nothing about coding or modding or anything like that, my interest has never gone beyond extensive ideas in my head that sometimes make it onto paper.

What do I enjoy about RPGs the most? They usually have pretty good stories, and I love games with good stories, but I think what I enjoy most is the evolution of the player-characters. Not in a story sense, but in the sense of them getting more powerful, getting new abilities, and generally changing as the game progresses. It's that sense of discovering new things about a character, new abilities and such things, and seeing a character evolve and the gameplay itself evolve as the character does, that I miss the most about RPGs (being that I haven't played one in a while).

Heeder, out of curiousity, what are you using to make your RPG? An RPG-making program? Coding from scratch? Pencil and paper? And since it's stories that got you into RPG making, I'd imagine yours has a good story, too; what's it like?

4. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love to make one too.

Why? who wouldn't. I would love to make one of the series of novels I'm writing. The world there is so rich, it would a space flying world visiting, warring GP where you sometimes have to be like a thief in the night to hide, other times be loud mouth gun shooting crazy to clear your way to your ship so you can get off.

Some missions would include to find a object that's hidden on certain worlds, find a being on a space station, get info from some, to kill some to get way and search for your home world. And the kick ass part is that the the one main character would be a ship and is your sister, while you can choose between 3 characters to play. The ship, the lost high king or the half elve half human, the last two male characters have a love relationship going on, so i think it will satisfy every one LOL

I love the puzzle solving part, where you have to be like a thief, and also like the once-you-start-shoot-you-don't-stop-until-the-end parts.

@Nazo there are various software you can use to develop your own games without having to program a single line!

here below is a few websites you can check that has these software free to download

Alexander's RPG Maker List
    Lists lots of game development software in various genre

Game Creation Resources
    Similar to the above, but includes others that are not there.

Platinum Arts Sandbox Free 3D Game Maker | Award Winning Open Source Easy To Use Game Maker
    This i my favourite tool, i screw around with this software quite a bit and has loads of tutorials

Video Game Develoment Software
    Also list a few software, both free and commercial

Hope this satisfy all your needs LOL

---------- Post added 14th Aug 2011 at 08:45 PM ----------

Oh and yeah the absolutely must is the story line like Half-Life, God of War, Prince of Percia and so on

5. kem

kem

I'd love to make an RPG (I have some ideas, too) but I can't write game code. :frowning2:

6. Emberstone

I am a avid storyteller, so I would love to be a storywriter for a RPG. I think it would be a fun way to tell stories through a different media.

7. Dominoflare

Dominoflare Guest

Well i'm a film composer and sound designer, which means i compose cinematic music for films/games/trailers etc
    i personally love video games, and love all aspects of the creation process, especially the music and sound design =)

8. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm I wonder, maybe we should all work together and create a kick ass game...

Dominoflare is our sound guy, so you can help compose the music and help with the voice castings for the dialogues.

Nazo, Emberstone, and i could work on a very nice story lines

Morphim, Gamer I Am, Heeder13 and I can work on ideas, methods, the worlds, characters and so on

So you see we almost got a full team here... so what do you guys say?

---------- Post added 15th Aug 2011 at 01:16 AM ----------

Just imagine a game coming out of the Closet so to speak LOL

9. Dominoflare

Dominoflare Guest

sounds like a great idea!!

10. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

OMG I love RPGs :grin:,Maybe one day I would make one XD I'm a pretty creative person. The RPG I've most liked would have to be the whole Mother( Earthbound) series! especially Mother 3. Never had I played a game with such an amaizing story that left crying my eyes out for hours when I finished it, it had amaizing music which was different for like every single battle so it had like tons of songs :slight_smile: and I instantly fell in love with the characters :grin: If I could create something as awesome as that it would be fantastic!

11. Ridiculous

I am inept at writing storylines.. I programmed almost everything for one (character control, movement, enemies and allies AI, pathfinding meshes, HUD including inventory and all that sort of thing, even drew and animated about 60 different weapons) and then gave up once I realised to go further I'd have to write some sort of context for things to happen :lol:. And it was in Flash which is becoming a bit deprecated now that HTML5 is superseding it for Internet use.

So instead I've been writing a side-view sandbox-ey type of thing, but I've only got random terrain generation and water simulation working so far because university went back and I've been focused on that instead.

If any of you do go and develop any of your ideas, please don't use one of those terrible 'RPG-maker' programs. They may be easy to use but you are limited to doing what they are designed to let you do.. which means that pretty much every game they make turns out the same, just with different graphics.

12. Rinto

Rinto Guest

I'm using an RPG making program. I'm not the coder actually, more like the game designer and the writer and eventer for the whole story. ^_^ Since having interested in making one, I guess my story would count for a good one, at least.

It's kind of complex actually. I'm not just the kind of guy to write something so common like magicians and ogres fighting, but I guess I may have went a little bit far that I still go to areas that I shouldn't like quantum physics and such.

My story is comprised by a complex system of time travels, time-space distortions and the like together with some triggering stories I based from a whole lot of research and RL surveys. I really would like to tell you the whole thing out but I guess what's in my mind could not that concrete yet. That's all I can tell, I'm sorry.

That would be great~! I really would love to but we need some sort or orientation first and gatherings for those who want to participate~

_____

Back at an outside forum where I used to go, I always talked about this stuff with them but I guess they don't mind me that much... I'm really glad that at least there's a bunch of people that likes this kind of thing too. Everybody's welcome^w^

#12 Rinto, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2011
  13. Dominoflare

Dominoflare Guest

Well i'd like to participate lol =D as sound designer & film composer

14. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell me what kind of RPG maker software do you use? Sandbox is brilliant, but doesn't matter how different you try to make the game, it just comes out more or less the same as other sandbox games with only little difference being the character design, world design and so on.

I would love it if you can expand on this. You see the idea of what I have is based on the series of novels that I am writing. The parts of where you are in space, you can use a "singularity drive" that is based on a system with pre-set singularity points within a planetary system or galaxy. If you wish to travel over large distances, you may have to end up using several such points to "jump". You also have a kind of Ion drive and so on. I have more ideas on this, but i'm still researching it a bit to see how it will work.

If you want to know more how the singularity system works, it is based on the novel series of Brain & Brawn series of Anne McCaffrey. The ship/sister character is also based on the character design from this series.

As for that, we do not necessarily need to meet in person. We can use either EC to start a threat specifically for this. But it would be best to create a website that one can use a blog feature such as EC, with chat functionality and video conferencing. Have a look at the following site: Nebula Vasa

This is a company that is involving the world wide community into developing different aspects of the game. From weaponry systems to characters, story line and so on. They break it down to little bits, which they ask the community to develop. If you develop say a specific gun or weapon and it gets used in the game, you get paid for that specific item plus you get your name in the credits of the game.

it is possible if we develop a site similar to this. In that regard, i can help, I can even help to get the best host (which i have and is in the US and for as cheap as chicken eggs LOL) I use this host with all my corporate clients and they truly offer the best value for money.

So you see this is indeed possible!!!!

---------- Post added 15th Aug 2011 at 04:07 PM ----------

@deminoflare: it would be awesome... we can use you in the cut-scenes and to compose the sound tracks, back tracks and so on.

what software do you use to compose? Mixcraft, Garageband, fruity loops?
    as for the film composer, what software do you use? I know of premier, after effects, final cut pro but that is just editing software.

15. Artemicion

O_O This sounds like what I did for two of my courses. Making a RPG for an university level class. And yes I do have great interest in making fictional worlds...especially fantasy ones.

First one was more of an exploration in multilinear storytelling:
    Our team used Ragnarok Online as the base game and we recorded it live (with like 5 actors with script) then stitched the entire thing together using Flash an controller. ANYWAYS the main point is it ended up writing an entire story for an RPG for an online game driven with characters and plot.

Second one was a bit of an expansion to the first one it was literally a playable RPG we used Game Maker 8 for its ease of use but took graphics from RPG Maker and RPG Maker VX (search it up! it's a very good tool for making RPG games!! and you dont need to know a lot of coding to get it to work! comes with rpg-like graphics already!) Anyways, it was up to 2 players and a month of work, it was half baked i say when we handed it in, but it worked to illustrate our concepts.

If anyone....is interested in peeking at the 2 works above PM me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But last but not least, I'm interested, but I don't know how much time i can help with me having a full time job and juggling schedules at the moment :S

16. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @ThinksTooMuch: You don't need to devote allot of time on this. say if you want to work on a specific project of the game development, then you only need to do that and I think the deadlines will be quite reasonable, especially because most of us are already working and juggling difficult schedules. That is if we set deadlines. Preferable I wouldn't cause i know it can take years to develop a game even if you devote your full day schedules entirely to the project.

17. Rinto

Rinto Guest

@thylvin: I'm not actually saying we need to have orientation in person^^". I really meant a meeting here in EC, since we all can see each other here.

I'd rather check Wikipedia for some idea about singularity points. I'm really sorry but I really hate novels. Haha

@ThinksTooMuch: I use RPG Maker VX actually. It's almost like a toy to me now since I can maneuver easily around it. The only problem I can't figure with it is the script making. I tried to do some research on how to make a script on RMVX but I guess it's too complex for a senior high school ahaha.

I'd like to see your works sometime^^ Maybe after I could finish my requirements too.

____

I'm thinking that if we guys (and girls) are really up for this, we may need a programmer-like kind of person for the project. It's always amazing to have a person knowledgeable in programs around. ^w^ Yay, hooray for us~!

18. Artemicion

@thylvin: Ah...i guess Ill see what I can do then. After all, I do try and get on EC on a daily basis...hehe it's a bit of a sanity check for me...XD

@Heeder13: Ah...script making hrm...I didn't get that far I believe (for RMVX anyways), but you need a concept of computer programming before you can really script, otherwise i believe its more like pressing buttons and giving it events, conditions and actions in RMVX...I did more programming with Game Maker 8...

And yes...I can program, but I don't like doing it. It's quite a brain wracking thing for me by the time i'm done my brain would be fried by keeping track of all the variables and little functions, conditions and error catching...

Oh and on the side, I love multimedia stuff so...i'm a bit of an jack of all trades but master of none...

19. Rinto

Rinto Guest

@ThinksTooMuch: I'll be sure to ask for your help if we're really going to make it a 'go' here. Ahaha your words are just so promising

20. Artemicion

Ha..don't get your hopes to high. I'm not that good.