1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Research Project Ideas (Computer Science-oriented)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by theJosephDean, Aug 22, 2011.

1. theJosephDean

Hello, fellow ECers!

I come to you today with an inquiry. I have the opportunity to partake in a research internship during this upcoming academic year, for which I must choose a research project to pursue, including writing the thesis, conducting the research via whatever methodology I choose, and presenting it orally and with a completed poster design.

The best part is that I get paid for each task I complete!

As a computer science major, the research that my field conducts is quite different from research in the social sciences, such as psychology. Of course, I could always do a psychology-related project, but I would rather have something more relevant to put on my CV.

At first, I wanted to do something related to the Android operating system, but I've yet to find anything really important. I could write an app, sure, but I have to answer the important questions: "Why is this important? Why should you be given a grant to pursue this study? What makes this stand out from other research proposals?" Just writing an app doesn't really answer those questions.

I'm currently scouring the Internet for famous algorithms that I could play off of or previous studies that I could try to reproduce to test reliability. Unfortunately, my search is so far coming up bare.

If any of my fellow techies on EC have any ideas of what I could pursue, I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks! :icon_bigg

~ Joseph