1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista vs XP

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by panda, Nov 27, 2007.

1. panda

When I try to delete a photo from a folder on my new laptop with Vista it takes at least a minute maybe two.This is annoying if I'm trying to delete 10 or 12 photos .My old laptop with XP does it immediately.Is there someway to fix this or do I have to pay the $70 to install XP?:confused: :icon_sad:

2. Ty

Ty Guest

Upgrade RAM?

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Vista tries to be too clever with file operations, such as calculating how long they will take in advance. Dealing with files is basic stuff for any operating system, yet Microsoft seem to have managed to mess up this basic functionality with Vista.

Hopefully Service Pack 1, when it comes out next year, will sort out some of this stuff, but I wouldn't bet on it.

The choice of anti-virus software seems to have a greater effect on Vista performance than on XP performance with file handling too. One machine I look after for a small local company has Norton Internet Security on Vista and the result is painfully slow even though it's a decent spec PC. My laptop is lower spec and runs Vista fine with NOD32 anti-virus having no significant impact.

How much RAM have you got? You need at least 1GB of RAM for Vista to run sensibly, despite the claims that it will run in 512MB. 2GB would be better. You also need a decent spec PC generally. If it's 2-3 years old and you've upgraded it form XP to Vista it may just be too low spec to run it properly.

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You definitely do NOT have to pay any extra money for XP... Vista licensing covers an XP license. You just need to find some CDs with XP on them. You can probably even order them from Microsoft.

5. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, the more well-known/bigger anti-virus software packages have always been huge resource hogs on systems, so consider switching to something more lightweight, like AVG.

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Agreed. I set up a Dell laptop at work today which came with Vista Business and McAfee Internet Security Suite. The PC has 1GB of RAM and performance wasn't too bad, but my similar spec Dell laptop again with 1GB of RAM running Vista Home Premium and NOD32 anti-virus is certainly more responsive.

The free anti-virus programs do not include on-access scanning for adware and spyware, only for viruses. There are free scanners for adware and spyware available but they usually need to be run manually or scheduled; they don't check every file as it appears. It is worth paying for an inclusive anti-virus and anti-spyware/adware package for the full protection. For Vista I would suggest either NOD23 or AVG. You can get a 30 day trial of NOD32, and there is probably one for the AVG paid-for products too.

From my experience I would steer well clear of Norton Anti-Virus or Norton Internet Security for performance and stability reasons.

7. sdc91

Vista screwed up my old PC. I liked XP a lot better. Also, my dad just ordered a new laptop to replace his 4 year old one, and he is having XP installed at the factory.

8. kuzmaster

Yeah... well, my dad has Vista on his PC and it runs fine.

My mum has Vista on her laptop and it runs fine, but it stutters a bit when you use the flip-3D thing...

But my dad offered to get Vista for me, and I just said no.

It is a cool operating system, and does have a few improved features (i love the networking in vista), I just seem too attached to XP

9. kuzmaster

Interesting...

Where is this mentioned. I looked through the product agreement thing for Vista, but I didnt see any mention for XP?

10. nisomer

just go with a mac :wink:

11. CrimsonThunder

They should have fixed up XP before they released Vista.

12. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmn... okay, it might be for volume licensing only.

Oh, no... not completely: http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9040318

So if you have one of the two top versions of Vista, you can downgrade for free.

13. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My newest computer is a 24" iMac and I love it but sometimes you need Windows, usually for specific software. Plus switching operating system paradigms isn't actually as easy as Apple would have you believe, although maybe it is if you're not a power user.

14. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also... found this via Google after I tried to find it from Microsoft's site. I should have known better.

15. panda

Thank you all for the information.I have a Gateway MT6452 which is refurbished with Windows Vista Home Premium which I believe makes me SOL as far as the free XP downgrade.
    My RAM says 894mb and has a rating 2.7 Windows Exp.Index,whatever that means.
    My computer guy says the problem is with the whole Media Centre with too much info.
    I try to talk to him about my problems but he lives on a much higher plane of computereze than I do.
    The amount that I understand is far outweighed by what I don't understand.

16. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is so not enough RAM to run Vista. You should get someone to put XP on it, even if it costs. Or super up the RAM... that might be a better idea in the long run, although doing both would probably be even better.

17. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, the Windows architecture is rotten from deep inside, but ignoring that...

Vista lasted 2 hours on my computer. It is nice looking but soooooooooooooooo resource-hungry... and I never use Windows anyways.

18. panda

More Questions.My computer guy says if I remove "Aero Glass" that things would improve.
    Also, do things like "RegCure" actually work or other cleaners like it.
    At the moment I don't ask a lot of my PC.I take pictures,put my memory chip into my PC,get folders,edit pictures,print pictures,A bit of internet stuff,E-mail,Napster, and that's about it.
    I was happier with XP.

19. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, turning off the Aero Glass interface will cut down on usage but you just can't reliably run Vista on less than a gig of RAM. I would get yourself back on XP. Is this a new computer for you that came with Vista? Find a computer-savvy friend and get them to help you set up your computer with XP... and consider getting at least another gig of RAM. How old's the computer? You said it was refurbished but there's a big difference between a computer that's 2 years old and one that's 4 years old, for instance.

I looked up your model number on Google and it seems like originally the computer came with 1GB of RAM, so I'm not sure why they would downgrade that.

20. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Some of probably shared with the graphics (128MB I think) - that's quite common with on-board graphics chipsets.

What anti-virus software are you using. If it is one of the "Internet Security" packages such as Norton or McAfee you'll either need more RAM or a lighter weight anti-virus package for Vista.

For your purposes though, I think getting Windows XP installed would be the simplest and most satisfactory option.