1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPad - Good for students?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lady Gaga, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Lady Gaga

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am staring college in January and I am trying to find a good way take and save notes.

So here is my train of thought. I could buy a cheap laptop, that would only be used for school and nothing else. The plus of that is, I can take notes more easily and quicky. The downside is that I would be spending so much money for something I would use so little.

But what about the iPad? I am good on touch screen keyboards so that won't be an issue so couldn't I just use that for notes? Also, what I would probably end up doing is taking notes on paper and transcribing them onto the iPad (since writing things down is how I remember things, it'll help me study too.)

Basically, would the iPad be good for a student?

2. adam88

I'd say so. I love my iPad. Useful to a student - 10-hour battery life means you don't have to lug a laptop charger around. Plus, if you don't like the touch keyboard, you can use any bluetooth keyboard with it. That and a copy of Pages or another notetaking app and I think you're set. :slight_smile:

3. Artemicion

I suppose the iPad could be a good choice out of the several options. There's a new thing by wacom but...not out yet (mid october i think)... called the Inkling. What it basically is it attaches itself to normal paper and digitizes it automatically to the likeness of your writing...so basically what you write/draw on paper gets turned into an electronic image which you can later put on the computer. Search it up :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I think it costs around $200?

However, if you're confident with typing notes...a laptop or ipad i suppose...but i still find lugging anything over 1.5KG annoying. Maybe a netbook? unless you think the screen is too small...

4. Ben

Ben

Paper on its own is a pretty good option as well, when accompanied by a couple of folders to organise stuff in. :wink: I'd say see how it goes at first without technology, and if you can't keep things in order that way, either splash out on an ipad/laptop/whatever or just use the computers at your college's library.