1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultrabooks

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Hot Pink, Oct 5, 2011.

?

Would you buy an ultrabook?

1. Yep!

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Maybe...

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Nope!

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Hot Pink

If you're not familiar with this term, ultrabook is a notebook (laptop) that is ultra thin. The MacBook Air began this craze and now other manufacturers are throwing their hats in.

Asus is about to release their UX line of ultrabooks soon. There will be the UX21 model, which will be an 11" netbook. Also, the UX31 model, which will be a 13" notebook. Each model will have a variety of different builds. It all depends on what you're willing to pay. Acer also has one coming out called the Aspire S3. Without a doubt, there are others working on their own.

Here's the question: would you buy one?

Personally, I am going to buy an Asus UX31 because it's perfect for what I need for displaying digital work in interviews. It's light and small, so it'll fit into my portfolio case. It's made out of aluminium, so it's durable. It has an SSD, so it'll load up quickly. Plus, it's $200 cheaper than the MacBook Air.

I'm also looking for a laptop to just use while away from home--which means it'll be used a lot. My current laptop is huge, heavy, with very little battery life. I basically need the exact opposite of that for use away from home. An ultrabook fits into my life fine, but I can see how it isn't for everyone.

2. Zontar

I'm waiting for ARM notebooks.

Within the next year or so (around the time ARM Windows 8 comes out), they'll be making notebooks that use the ARM processor instead of the traditional x86 platform. The battery life on these devices will be incredible.

3. TheRoof

MacBook Air is such a joke. It's like thousand bucks, but the specs are utter craps. And the storage space is teeny tiny. It looks pretty and all, but I hardly think macbook air would be enough for actually getting things done.

Also, I'd rather buy iPad than ultrabook/macbook air.

4. Hot Pink

[​IMG]
    The main reason why ultrabooks are a little pricey is because of the SSD's. SSD's are not commonplace just yet, so they're more expensive to manufacture than HDD's. Asus's prices are cheaper than Apple's, though. Their best model is $150 cheaper than the best MacBook Air model and the Asus model is significantly better.

5. djt820

SSDs in laptops just don't make any sense. You're stuck with with that small space. SSDs should only be used as boot drives in PCs until they're affordable enough to replace HDDs.

6. Veronica

Answered "Nope" because I have absolutely no idea what I would use such a device for. Which is also why I don't have a tablet. Just extra stuff to drag around and keep an eye one so it doesn't get stolen.

I have a desktop PC at home and at my office and a cheap laptop for whenever I need to bring a laptop for something. They're all running Ubuntu Linux and work like clockwork and are never ever slow and rarely in need of hardware upgrades.

I used to have a PDA back 10 years ago when smartphones were waaay too expensive. Now my htc does all the stuff I need when I'm not near a computer, which is basically texting and making phonecalls anyway in addition to having a calendar for my daily schedule.

7. Zontar

I always had some sort of electronic organizer, ever since I was a kid in the second grade. The first smartphone I got was just mindblowing.

"You mean I could have internet anywhere I go?? And not just hotspots?"

Needless to say I was, and still am, quite the nerd. =p