1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Souls <3

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Shevanel, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Shevanel

Here is where fellow gamer ECers will discuss Dark Souls. The awesome fucking amazing spiritual sequel to Demon's Souls.

[​IMG]

So yeah. I fucking love it. The amount of times I've cursed and yelled has so far started to hurt my throat xD

Let's try to keep any kind of "spoilers" (Not like there's much story, but I'm sure you can figure out where to hide things at your own discretion.) hidden with spoiler tags, but let's definitely discuss where we are so far and such.

I'm currently stuck in the beginning of Undead Parish >_> I cannot figure out how to get past that armored bullpig thing >_> So I'm going to see if I can backtrack to the beginning and see if I can actually get past those fucking skeletons.

By the way, be very wary of the skeletons >_>

ALSO we should all post what our current character is :3
    My character is a Knight, level 16 :3

Also, did they totally do away with Item burden? Is it only equip burden now?

2. SolitaryKnight

there is so much to figure out about this game. Like what is the detriment to death, there is one, but its not as explicit as it is in Demon's Souls. The ones I know of are losing souls and humanity, but you become 'hollowed' and I don't even know what that means yet.

I haven't been able to play much because of work and other stuff, but I'm getting my handle on things. I've only made it to the Taurus demon in the Undead Burg. I have a Warrior Lv. 15. (I've been grinding a bit xD)

And I can't tell if I like using a spear (as I did in Demon's Souls) or a sword. The sword seems better here for some reason, the spear isn't as strong or fast as it was in the predecessor.

3. Shevanel

Shoot the tail of the dragon after the Taurus Demon area, by running straight to the right past his fire (it'll be safe if you're fast enough, and the fire will kill all the enemies you just ran past too). That will get you a Drake Sword after enough arrows into it's tail.

The Drake Sword is quite powerful for an early game weapon, but it's only wield-able with both hands and if you use the Strong Attack with it a lot, the durability runs down quite fast, so I recommend only using the regular attack, as it's probably more powerful than the Strong Attack, which is somewhat like a way smaller version of the Sword of Storms in the Storm Ruler section of Demon's Souls. :slight_smile:

4. SolitaryKnight

I got the sword, and I've been saving up for some of the stuff from the merchant. Plus I made it to the Boar, but didn't face it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Instead I ran up the tower, only to be murdered by the Black Knight there xD

This game is brutal xD But so worth it. I wish I had more time to play.

5. Artemicion

I want to ask how's the loading times for this game...like..if you die is there a long load time to get you revived again? Because in Demon souls it was kinda long....

6. SolitaryKnight

Its not that long, it pretty well keeps the pace of the game going.

My progress thus far:

Finished the Undead Parish and rang the Bell of Awakening! And I'm Lv. 32 I think xD

The Bellfry Gargoyle was a pushover with the Black Knight Sword :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And I killed the bridge Wyvern too, he is a bit glitchy. I took out his tail and got the sword from it, but later on when I would see him, his tail kept appearing and disappearing. And when I was pelting him with arrows, his health bar never seemed to move for the longest time, then all of a sudden its near empty and I killed him... very odd :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#6 SolitaryKnight, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  7. CrazyAntFarm

I really want this game. I already finished Demon's Souls, and I really want to give this a spin. I've been hearing that it's pretty much the same game, but from the posts I'm reading from you guys, I don't think that is true. I will definitely be picking this title up soon!

8. SolitaryKnight

It uses pretty well the same mechanics as Demons Souls, but it changed some things. Like no more losing half your health bar when you die! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I find the combat more fluid than in Demons Souls. Plus there is more variety of enemies, bosses and areas to traverse. And it is much harder than Demons Souls, a new area is completely frightening because it always seems impossible at first, but then you learn the enemies and the tactics needed to beat the area.

I've finally beaten Anor Londo yesterday and today just killed the boss of the Catacombs. Slowly but surely, the game will be conquered!

9. Shevanel

I couldn't get passed Sen's Fortress =/ I felt like the enemies in the beginning of it kept getting harder, and that cunt stole my firekeeper for Firelink Shrine, so it just got like so much harder. So I restarted xDDD I'm gonna try to not make the same mistakes I made last time. Plus, this time I started as a Pyromancer, level 1, meaning more levels to level up with :3 My other character was pretty badass too, but oh welll..

10. SolitaryKnight

You get the Firekeeper's soul back later if you kill the guy who took it.

Oh and if you kill the Moonlight Butterfly you can create and absolutely amazing shield (that has the most powerful attack I've come across, makes Titanite Demons fall like ants xD). Oh and if you are lucky, you could get a Black Knight Sword, its really strong, even more so than the Drake Sword. I've been using the BKS since I got it in the Undead Burg.

I just took out the Stray Demon (with my awesome Crystal Ring Shield).

11. SolitaryKnight

Hell's Yes!!! I just beat it! Take that Dark Souls! I beat you!!! With no soul levelling trick, no online help either! HA!

phew*

Now to start NG+ :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Obsidian

This game is so:***: hard...
    Stuck on Kapra Demon lol
    Lots of fun though

13. Shevanel

Dogs first, then use the stairs a lot. Falling attacks work well too :slight_smile: AND BLOCKING if you can xD

14. sanguine

if you have a master key you can skip it completely and go through blight town via new londo ruins, i did that with my sorcerer first run through, i didnt really put my any vitality or end (stupid me) but ive made it through thanks to online co op anyways

15. Shevanel

Skipping? That ain't fun :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. vyvance

Love the game. Pyromancy needs to be beat with the nerf-stick in pvp, but no real complaints elsewhere.

17. sanguine

LOL its not fun AT ALL getting your ass handed to you from the stupid dogs, its bad enough the area is so dam small, so i just skipped to blight town, was able to one hit everything with soul arrow, and i found quelaag was WAAAAAAY easier to kill then the Capra demon, all i did was run around shooting her with soul arrow while maneater mildred took all the damage, then i came back to kill capra demon when sens fortress was too hard.

---------- Post added 10th Mar 2012 at 09:55 AM ----------

i think pyromancy is pretty balanced, you dont get many charges on the good spells like chaos fireball, easy to dodge also, and the other spells like combustion isnt worth going up close when a guys holding the weapon in both hands

#17 sanguine, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  18. vyvance

Maybe I just suck, but I always get beat down by pyros. Seems like they just stack poise, then every time I go to attack, I eat a spell to the face because I can't make them flinch.

19. sanguine

im guessing he cast iron flesh? you can pretty much stand still and take every hit while taking little to no damage, oh and if you have the wood grain ring it makes things easier to dodge, or even a fog ring