1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac OS X Lion on PC

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Hot Pink, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Hot Pink

I'm looking to buy both Mac OS X Lion and Windows 7 for my new computer. I've never had a dual-boot system before, let alone personally owned Mac software, and I don't know if I need to buy Snow Leopard in order to install Lion. Lion is only $30, so it makes me wonder if the one on the Apple Store is simply the upgrade version. Can someone help me, please? Thanks!

2. someguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well you would need to get a copy of Snow Leopard first, don't get the upgrade disc either. The copy of Lion they are selling are only upgrade versions. You should do some Google searches on hackintosh too.

3. reallyrandomguy

Honestly, it depends on the computer. Macs have Boot Camp, so you can switch between the two. I'm not much of a PC person, so I'm not sure if there's a Windows equivalent.

It might be easier to Google how to do it, as someguy said. I personally have never built a hackintosh (let alone a PC), but if you just Google "hackintosh," the first couple links look like they are reliable sources.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

#3 reallyrandomguy, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  4. someguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The ability to dual boot or multi boot has been around for the last 20 or so years, the abilities of Boot Camp isn't anything new to the computing world.

-----------
    Make sure you look at some HW compatibility lists before you purchase anything. There are also patched kernels out there to look into for better compatibility, you don't always have to run a vanilla Mac OS X kernel.

5. djt820

Hackintosh, as its been said.

/thread

6. adam88

Yeah, Hackintosh. Boot Camp, however, means it's easier for a non-techie to install windows on a Mac than it is for them to install OSX on a PC - this is the direction I went when I got upgrade-itis concerning my Macbook Pro 13". :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

New RAM, new Seagate 500GB hybrid HD, new Windows 7 64-bit install. :grin:

7. Hot Pink

Macs are a bit out of my price range, plus I want more horse power than Macs offer. I'll look into Hackintosh a bit more. Seems like I might need one of my friends who are more versed with advanced things like this handle installing it. Hopefully by the time I build it, Mac OS X Lion will have resolved its issues with Nvidia GTX 500 Series cards.

8. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you want to dual boot, the smoothest option is to buy a Mac and dual boot.

Hackintosh is not for the faint of heart.

9. Hot Pink

One of my friends has done it on multiple occassions and he said he'd do it for me. He says it's fairly simple, it just takes a long time, but simple for him may be difficult for me. That's why he's doing it. lol

10. someguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Its rather simple to set up, I have done it the past. Its like installing Windows or Linux.