1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fun things to do with Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Ty, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Ty

Ty Guest

Im on my ubuntu partition today and im wondering, anyone know any fun upgrades i can give to it? its pretty plain atm since i havent used it since......august?

Thankkkks ^_^:slight_smile:

2. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ummm... Compiz. Desktop effects.

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I think changing the background picture and choosing a different theme to get away from the drab browns would be a good first move. It'll make it feel more like YOUR Ubuntu, which is a good way to get started with an operating system.

Are yo using version 7.04? If so updating to 7.10 will get you the 3D effects etc. It's a worthwhile upgrade, and if you haven't done much with 7.04 this is a good time to do it with minimal risk.

Personally I don't like Evolution so I installed Thunderbird for email through the package management thing. You can also add the Lightning add-on for Thunderbird which gives you a calendar and to-do list.

What do you want to use it for? Have a look through the packages in the package manager. There's a lot of stuff there, some good, some not-so-good.

I tend to avoid installing KDE-based apps as they need a load of KDE stuff adding which messes up the programs menu and just seems to trample all over the system. So I avoid programs whose names begin with "K".