1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does laptop construction take forever?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Emberstone, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Emberstone

I last friday ordered myself a Dell Inspiron Duo netbook/tablet, but today, over a week latter, they still are building it. The computer is not one you can actually upgrade its componants, so why dont they just build some so they can ship it when people order it, instead of making us wait a week.

I have never had issues with my dell computers, which have always been great for what I ordered them for, and nor have I ever had to wait two weeks to get them. They are saying that it should arrive on the 18th, and I ordered it on the 4th.

it just frustrates me, because by the time I get it, the class I needed it for will practically be over.

Can't computer companies learn that in the world of high speed internet, 4g smart phones, and other instant gratification, that even 20 years ago, waiting two weeks was unheard of.

2. djt820

1. Dell
    2. Non-upgradable

I think you answered your own question. Also, it might be where you ordered it from. But Dell is low-tier when it comes to service (and computers). You could have ordered an ASUS from Amazon and got it in 3 days.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The other thing that is in vogue these days is "just in time" delivery. Years ago, companies kept huge stockpiles of computers in their warehouses (and some companies still do.) But to trim their overhead at a time when the PC marketplace is extraordinarily competitive, many companies are doing build-to-order. The problem with this is that if they suddenly get a spike in orders, "just in time" turns into "out of stock, wait while we build more."

It sounds like that's what happened to you. And I agree with Dylan, Dell has really gone down hill in terms of service quality in the past few years.

4. Emberstone

I have always had good experinces with my dells, so I never had to deal with their service department.

last time I got a laptop from them, it was quick. last time I got my desktop, i just bought it on sale at best buy.

it was kinda annoying. I can't complain about the price, because I ordered it during a big sale on dell laptops, and got a periphial included that usually is another 100 bucks, plus it was 464 for everything because it was a extra sale on top of it... but I did not think it would take two weeks.

the thing that really frustrates me: the one I ordered claimed 'Ships Fast'. they said it would ship to me on the 7th (having ordered on the 4th). its now the 12th, and it still hasnt shipped.