1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow video loading speed?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by DarkClarity, Nov 13, 2011.

1. DarkClarity

I don't know why but lately it takes really long for videos to load.

Before it would only take a few minutes to load a youtube video and on other sites it would take about 30 minutes to load for example a 20 minute episode of an anime. Now it normally takes over an hour. My internet speed hasn't changed. It's still quite fast. I have plenty of memory on my computer and I haven't changed my routers settings. I've deleted everything I don't need, defragmented my computer, deleted temporary internet files and freed up as much disk space as possible.

Does anybody have any suggestions? If you have had this problem in the past how have you fixed it?

2. djt820

YouTube.

That's not much you can do about it. It's happened to me a few times where there will be a short period where videos will hardly load. It gets better but it's YouTube's servers that are the issue.

3. DarkClarity

Thanks but it's not just youtube. Any website where I try to watch a video, the video takes ages to load.

4. djt820

Do you have a wireless network? If so, try turning off your wi-fi and seeing if that helps (That's assuming you're using a wired connection).

5. DarkClarity

It's wireless.

6. djt820

That could be an issue. Maybe you're getting bad reception. If you can, get closer to your router and see if that helps.

Another issue could be that you're getting capped. And if that's the case, you download too much data.

First of all, I want you to go to your router, shut it off, and unplug the power. Wait a minute and put everything back on. See if that works. If that doesn't work, then I want you to find an ethernet cable and get a wired connection. Wired connections are much more stable and consistent. See if that helps. If that doesn't, then you may be getting capped. Figure out if your ISP is capping you. If that's not the case, then I'm stumped.

I could probably come up with a few other remedies if those 3 don't work but give them a try.

7. DarkClarity

Thank you, I'll try it and let you know if it works.

8. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    I find that Youtube just doesn't always load. It used to be that I'd just refresh until it took. Now it's changed around and it won't play unless I've been on the page after the initial page info download bit (once the page has generated but the video has not yet begun to buffer). Really annoying for playlists -_-

9. Ridiculous

Go here: http://www.youtube.com/html5, and click the "Join the HTML5 trial" option at the bottom.

That will make YouTube play its videos using HTML5 rather than Adobe Flash Player. If you are having problems with videos only, and pretty much all videos that are deployed on the internet use Flash, then you should try YouTube without Flash just to rule it out as a problem.

Also you could go here: http://www.youtube.com/my_speed and compare the speeds to the others listed there.

10. DarkClarity

Thanks, I did what you said and for now the loading speed has returned to normal. But now, for some reason, flash player keeps crashing! There's always something wrong when it comes to technology. :tantrum: My existence is a pityiful and meaningless. Is it too much to ask that I just want to watch some anime in peace?

---------- Post added 13th Nov 2011 at 11:26 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
    I'll try that. Thanks for the link.

#10 DarkClarity, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  11. djt820

Flash player is lol. It likes to crash. It'll go away. Don't worry. You'll probably be asked to update flash player sooner or later anyways. (ALWAYS update when it asks you to).

But I'm glad it helped you. But yeah, the flash crash issue will sort itself out in a while. If it doesn't in a few days, post in this thread.