1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop Battery

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Paper Heart, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Paper Heart

So I've had my laptop for roughly three months and just today, it told me that my battery is on Temporary Failure State, which means it only works while plugged into an outlet. Its a Dell Inspiron, which gave me absolutely no problems until now. I just wanna know what could have caused my battery to shit the bed so quickly. Because I only have a one-time battery replacement and its otherwise $180. If anyone knows anyway to prevent this or had this happen I'd love to hear.

2. Veronica

Not sure how the consumer laws are in the US, but over here they'd be required by law to replace your battery for free of it broke that soon after you bought it.

3. starfish

Likely there is a shorted cell in the battery pack. It happens. I would go ahead and get the replacement. I am surprised that the battery is $180. What model is it?

4. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    bumper-to-bumper warranty doesn't cover it? Or only covers one over the course of the warranty?

5. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't have an Inspirion, but I do have a Latitude that didn't have a good battery, either.

My guess is that Dell doesn't focus too much on batteries. You might have to drag your power supply around with your laptop :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Tiny Catastrophe

I have an HP and in less than a year my battery did the exact same thing. My friend told me it's from using too many charge cycles, meaning plugging it in and unplugging it too much and keeping it plugged in constantly also messes up the battery.

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine's dead too I have to lug my charger around everywhere now. Can't remember how long it's been dead but it's a dell Inspiron too. They had a warranty on it for a year though? My hard drive broke and I got a new one for free...

8. Paper Heart

Yes, I do have warranty coverage. And truth be told, it probably is from being plugged in too much. Too bad that I can't get a new battery until two weeks from now, as its finaks week at school :/