Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > General Chat > Technology, Gaming, Soft-& Hardware

Technology, Gaming, Soft-& Hardware Chat about gaming, technology, computer software and hardware, MP3 players, gadgets etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27th Nov 2011, 11:56 AM   #1
Artificially sweetened.

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: 100%

Default Laptop Battery

So I've had my laptop for roughly three months and just today, it told me that my battery is on Temporary Failure State, which means it only works while plugged into an outlet. Its a Dell Inspiron, which gave me absolutely no problems until now. I just wanna know what could have caused my battery to shit the bed so quickly. Because I only have a one-time battery replacement and its otherwise $180. If anyone knows anyway to prevent this or had this happen I'd love to hear.
Old 27th Nov 2011, 12:03 PM   #2
Princess of Darkness

Orientation: Lesbian
Out Status: Out to everyone

Default Re: Laptop Battery

Not sure how the consumer laws are in the US, but over here they'd be required by law to replace your battery for free of it broke that soon after you bought it.
Veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Nov 2011, 12:58 PM   #3
This space for lease.

Orientation: I like guys
Out Status: Out to everyone

Likely there is a shorted cell in the battery pack. It happens. I would go ahead and get the replacement. I am surprised that the battery is $180. What model is it?
All the problems of the world could be settled easily if men were only willing to think. The trouble is that men very often resort to all sorts of devices in order not to think, because thinking is such hard work.
--Thomas J. Watson
starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 06:36 PM   #4
EC Addict

Out Status: A few friends + parents

bumper-to-bumper warranty doesn't cover it? Or only covers one over the course of the warranty?
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 07:22 PM   #5
Imperial Gnerd Army

Orientation: Androsexual
Out Status: You must construct additional pylons.

I didn't have an Inspirion, but I do have a Latitude that didn't have a good battery, either.

My guess is that Dell doesn't focus too much on batteries. You might have to drag your power supply around with your laptop
Ryuichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 07:29 PM   #6
Love is genderless <3

Orientation: Lesbian
Out Status: Pretty much everyone

I have an HP and in less than a year my battery did the exact same thing. My friend told me it's from using too many charge cycles, meaning plugging it in and unplugging it too much and keeping it plugged in constantly also messes up the battery.
Sometimes pain becomes such a huge part of your life that you expect it to always be there. Because you cant remember a time in your life when it wasnt but then one day you feel something else. Something that feels wrong, only because its so unfamiliar. Then in that moment you realize you're happy.
Tiny Catastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 10:49 PM   #7

Orientation: Cisnon-pansexual Homoerotic homosexual
Out Status: Most people in my life.

Mine's dead too I have to lug my charger around everywhere now. Can't remember how long it's been dead but it's a dell Inspiron too. They had a warranty on it for a year though? My hard drive broke and I got a new one for free...

"Life is a comedy to those who think, a tragedy to those who feel."
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 10:53 PM   #8
Artificially sweetened.
Threadstarter

Out Status: 100%

Yes, I do have warranty coverage. And truth be told, it probably is from being plugged in too much. Too bad that I can't get a new battery until two weeks from now, as its finaks week at school :/