1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hard drive problems

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by darkcheesse, Dec 6, 2011.

1. darkcheesse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i've just got an old emachine because both of my computers have died, rather not get into that. so the old computer runs windows of pata, and when i put in my 500gb sata in windows get to the safe mode choice screen, then when i pick any option, the computer stays on but all get is black screen. i've left it running for 15 minutes to check if it was slow but no it does nothing. any advice?

2. Veronica

Not sure I understand what it is you're asking. Your sentences are a bit ambiguous.

So, you are trying to boot from a SATA drive in an old computer, but the OS was previously installed on an IDE drive?

3. darkcheesse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    no my computer works fine with old ide in, that one my os is installed on. i use my sata drive for storage only. my computer will boot up fine, when only the ide is plugged in. but if i plug in my sata the computer won't boot futher than the safe mode choice screen, i hope thats a little less ambigous

4. Veronica

Ah. Check your boot priority in BIOS.

What Windows is it? If it's older than Vista, it may lack SATA drivers.

5. darkcheesse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    nope, i've already checked that the master is the old id, i checked that first. then i made sure that hard drive was first in boot prority and i'm at a loss, like my other computers that died, why do i never get normal computer problems grrrr!!

6. Veronica

What about my second question?

7. darkcheesse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ohh sorry my bad it's xp, and it already has those drivers installed i have them on a floppy

8. Veronica

Have you run last service pack on XP? Without the SATA drive plugged in ...

9. darkcheesse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    nope i havn't tried that, cheers i'll try it tomorow, thanks!!

10. Veronica

Well, that may be it. XP is pretty outdated driver-wise. It is scheduled to be dropped by MS support next year I think.

After experiencing Vista and 7, I completely dropped Windows, so I don't know much about what's happened the last 2 years :slight_smile:

11. starfish

Windows XP went out of mainstream support back in 2009. It is in extended support until 2014. Basically that means no bug fixes only security patches.

I find it odd that the system hanges a black screen wafter the safe mode menu. There is and option on that meu for a verbose boot (Don't recall its name off the top of my head). THat will list everything it is loading. It can be helpful to see where the boo hangs at.

12. Veronica

Ah, they've extended it to 2014? Good. I still have a copy running in a VirtualBox :slight_smile:

The NT5 kernel is the best Microsoft have ever produced. NT6 has been a huge disappointment. Especially Vista, but also Win7. I worked with Windows professionally from NT3.51/Win3.11 up to Win7/Win2008. I switched to Ubuntu about 2 years ago now, and haven't regretted it for a second.

As for the black screen, there is too little information to make a call. I think it is a driver issue, which is why I suggested running a service pack. It usually takes care of compatibility issues. Modern SATA devices are a lot newer than the original XP.