1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minecraft mining

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Charni, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am having trouble in Minecraft. I am mining fine,I am finding plenty of recourses, but I keep getting lost in massive mines with many intersections. How can I stop this?

2. starfish

I've never played minecraft. In other games with a complex paths, I would make map on paper. That way I could find out how to get back if I got lost.

3. Eponine

Place torches on one side of the wall when going deeper and deeper. When traversing caverns, you can use the side it's on to tell you if you're moving forward or backward. You can also use signs at intersections and point at the way towards the surface or something if you get confused.

4. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Great idea! Thanks!

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

The problem with the torches idea is that it restricts your ability to light up a cavern, especially one with huge rooms that have many caves leading off of them. What I do is make arrows on the cave floor like this.

[​IMG]

In the process of exploring a cave, I usually find myself with excess cobblestone, gravel, and/or dirt, so whichever one I have the most of, I'll use it to make arrows on the cave floor that point me to the exit. I make one whenever I encounter a part of the cave that forks off into multiple paths. It can seem tedious at first, but when you're trying to make your way out of the cave, you will be so thankful to have them (I am).

The great thing about these arrows is their verstility. You can make them face in any direction you like, including diagonals, and even up and down, so you can always use them to find your way out of a cave. I swear by this method of cave exploration.

Attached Files:

6. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks! I'll do those things together, torches on one side in small cave and the arrows in larg ones.

7. adam88

I use the torches-on-right-side-only trick in corridors and narrow passages, and place a cluster of torches by exits of caverns.

Hmmm... I haven't played minecraft in a while. This is tempting me to pick it back up.

EDIT: Redstone, if you have a lot of it and don't make circuits is great cuz you can draw red arrows and paths on the floor. :slight_smile:

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never played this, but if it's anything like minesweeper, I'll own you all!!!!

9. Emberstone

it isnt. they are vastly different games. sorry to burst your bubble.

10. Friendly ghost

The arrows on the ground will work, as long as gremlins don't turn the around! lol it reminded me of the labyrinth

11. Friendly ghost

I hate you guys, I finally decided I would download it after this post, and now I can't stop playing it.

12. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

It has that effect on you. That's why this shirt exists:

[​IMG]

13. paper person

UGH Now im hooked again. At least my freinds havent made a new server yet.

14. Friendly ghost

Oh god it gets better when other people play with me!? Seriously though, I've have just burnt way too much of my weekend digging holes and making picks to dig more holes. Though, I do enjoy building things...

15. paper person

You do a bit of Diggy diggy hole?

16. Friendly ghost

Oh yeah, I made a few intricate houses underground, along with my intelligent mining methods, lol, it gives me too much control. There is so much I can do! YES! I will spend 45 min. digging a hole and clearing obsidian just because I wanted that wall black... I've built a few normal structures, including a tower I am quite fond of, but I think I am subterranean by nature. Plus it is somewhat fulfilling my dream of owning a renovated nuclear silo. lol

17. Emberstone

I just bought it, finally. my world has this really really cool rock formation next to where my spawn point is. it is kind of like half a natural stone arch. I am going to build on top of it, and make that my house.

I am however playing 'peaceful' at the moment.

18. stumble along

Lol Diggy Diggy hole,

Minecraft is fun, though I personally just bought for the building purpose, I've made some pretty neat stuff
    How do you post pictures on EC?

19. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You have to go post reply, click upload picture and choose what one you want to upload.

20. Metal

As soon as you can access the nether, try to get glowstone and use it to mark your main path so you can identify your primary tunnel easily.

Nether is also a great travel system with multiple portals, and signs near each portal telling where to find the others (axis numbers).