1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New laptop time

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by starfish, Dec 27, 2011.

1. starfish

I currently have a 2007 15" MacBook Pro. It works well enough, but I would like something smaller.

Ones I am thinking about so far, in no particular order.

1. Lenovo x120e
    2. Lenovo X1
    3. MacBook Air
    4. Toshiba Portégé Z830
    5. Chromebook of some sort
    6. Lenovo ThinkPad tablet with keyboard portfolio.

I mostly just use my laptop to surf the web, and listen to music. Anymore I use my desktop to do they heavy lifting. I like the Chromebook idea, but they seem over priced to me. I like the x120e because it is small and low priced. I also get a pretty discount from Lenovo, but I'm open to others.

I don't follow the consumer space much anymore so I have no idea what is coming down the pike. I'm note in a hurry so I don't mind waiting. I like the idea od a ARM based laptop, but there does not appear to be any viable systems out there right now.

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pricewise I'd say don't do the Air, you bought a Macbook, you know how expensive they can be. I would go with the Lenovo or Toshiba.

Functionalitywise, Macbook Air.

3. TraceElement

I had a Lovono thinkpad (the 07 version) and I was not as impressed with it as I wanted to be. My main thing was the screen would occasionally freeze shortly after I would start using it.

4. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're just surfing the web and small things like that you don't need anything expensive, you could probably get away with just a cheap laptop.

This one is only $450 and would be more than powerful enough to run even some of the games that are light on the graphics card. You could easily surf the web with under 2 gigs of RAM, while this one (and most other laptops) has 4 gigs. As with many of the cheaper laptops the keyboard is a bit iffy but otherwise looks fine, just don't bang the keys like a Korean gamer and you should be fine ^.^
    Newegg.com - ASUS A53E-EH91 Notebook Intel Pentium B950(2.10GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 320GB HDD 5400rpm DL DVD±RW/CD-RW Intel HD Graphics
    _____

This one is slightly more powerful, and a bit more (luxurious?) It even comes with a fingerprint scanner. at $490 it's a fairly decent laptop, with cute little things like drains in case you spill something on the keyboard or anything like that. The graphics card is just a crappy integrated one so don't expect much gaming potential from it, other than that it's a nice laptop as far as I'm concerned.

Newegg.com - HP ProBook 4530s (XU015UT#ABA) Notebook Intel Core i3 2310M(2.10GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1333 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi Intel HD Graphics 3000
    ____

Remember, you aren't looking for anything with an amazing graphics card or a quad core 3 GHZ CPU, sub $500 will be MORE than capable of just surfing the internet, you could probably go dirt cheap and grab a $250-$300 laptop for just surfing. I could look some up for you if you'd like but if you want to do it yourself Newegg is a fairly nice place to start :3

Good luck! -Evelyn

5. Hexagon

Macbook Air!

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, now that I've gone Mac, I would never go back to a PC. But perhaps that's just me. :slight_smile:

You might consider getting just getting a smaller Macbook that's a couple years old used off of Ebay or somewhere, and selling the one you have. It probably wouldn't be much out of pocket.

7. starfish

I wouldn't feel comfortable selling my MacBook Pro. The silly thing has had so many problems over the years. The only original part on it is the case. Though since I replaced the LCD and logic board it has been problem free.

The main reason for getting a new laptop is to get something smaller. When my back flares up carrying around my current one can be a bit difficult.

8. There are actually some decent quadcore laptops around for less than $500. My mom got a decent quadcore Acer on amazon for $399.

Give a look at the 11.6 inch Acer TimelineX.
    http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-T...QDHW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325932488&sr=8-1

I got one a couple months back, but with a Core i3 instead of the i5 on this one. It's serving me quite well. I was a bit hesitant at first because the Acer brand didn't scream quality a few years ago, but now I think they make great machines.

About ARM processors in laptops... I don't think I've really heard of any before in mainstream systems.

Personally, I couldn't live with a Chromebook. I don't like the cloud. Local storage is much more useful to me. Being tethered to the Internet just doesn't sound super.

9. Mitchell

I got a good deal on a new laptop 2 months ago, I'd say shop around... see what deals are going on that month.

I got a deal on a quad-core with 8GB of RAM... just see what's on sale that month.

10. ashish

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    It will be very good if you can give the budget and here are some suggestions which I think will be best suited for you.
    1.Toshiba Ultra book
    2.Dell Alienware 17X 2nd Generation.
    3.Sony VAIO S Series VPCSA26GG Laptop.
    Laptop Prices in India

11. Nero

Macbook air beacuse there cute!!!

12. someguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I recommend Asus for their build quality and support.

#12 someguy, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  13. epsylon427

England yeah that cloud covered rock by Europe
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    is it me or does it seem that these comments are a bit late ?

14. someguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :bang: You are right, I didn't even read the date of the original post.

15. starfish

That's ok I still haven't bought a new laptop.

I bought a tablet, so that alleviated the immediate for a new laptop.

I think I am going to wait for the Ivy Bridge laptops to make a decision. I am hoping Apple will release a MacBook Pro with support for 32GB of RAM. The current ones max out at 16 GB.

I have a ThinkPad W520 running Fedora Linux at work. It has some quarks, so I am thinking I am going to stick with a Mac.

16. Mobiusponder

I have an x100e that I've undervolted. It's fantastic. Keyboard is great [great!! And that trackpoint], it was really cheap, and it runs for ~4 hours on a charge. Occasional odd sleep problems and I can't seem to change screen brightness at points when off of the charger but other than that pretty smooth sailing, and I've heard the x120e is much nicer/faster.
    ... So I'd say the x120e is a pretty safe bet, probably.

17. epsylon427

England yeah that cloud covered rock by Europe
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Man what are you even going to be do on the laptop run crysis 2 in 4 different windows !

18. starfish

I run lots of virtual machines for my labs. They eat up ram in a hurry. Especially when you have nest VMs.

In the past I could not use a laptop due to the I/O subsystem performance, but SSDs have resolved that.