1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by WeirdnessMagnet, Jan 1, 2012.

1. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Who never got the point of social media? I mean this or that friend periodically invites me in, I make a page, then forget the password, because I never log in there anyway.

It's not even that "you're part of the product" thing, - gah, Google and half a dozen ad agencies probably could find out everything there's to know about me in 30 minutes if they ever bothered, it's just that I find SM pointless. I don't hate them, I just couldn't care less about them.

I sometimes follow Twitter, but don't have an account there. Even feeling "left out" when people discuss their FB pages and their uses, or assume that of course such a nerd as I must have been on Facebook, or, maybe, Google+, doesn't make me tempted to go there and make an account.

Are there any fellow facebook-indifferents in the world?

2. Sunsetting

Sunsetting Guest

Funny thought, I shut down my facebook account because I was getting too distracted, I barely use my twitter account, but I now I'm addicted to my time here and this is a social media site lol. I think it's because it means something to me and really hits my heart :/

3. nerdvain

I'll admit, I do use Facebook; it actually is a decent way for people to stay connected when used in its most basic form. When it comes to the excessive updates/pages/whatever, however, that's where I lose interest. It becomes a rather pointless way for people to vent or say things about which no one really cares.

So yeah, I do use Facebook...but save for that, I can't really see the point in having more than one social media outlet.
    Well, unless you count this place.

I do empathize with you, as every day I'm tempted to shut down my Facebook.

4. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's probably it... I'm of a "never IM if you can text, never text if you can make a phone call, never call if you can visit" type with anyone important for me. And FB used this way is basically glorified texting.

And although this site has some SM features, it's still (for me) mostly a discussion forum, - quite a different thing. I really like that OP/Follow-ups dynamics more than Article/Comments of a blog or a news site. It's more participatory, more engaging, makes one's brain work, sometimes in unusual directions.

#4 WeirdnessMagnet, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  5. nerdvain

Pretty much. I'm basically the same; communication on more personal levels is, I find, generally better communication.

You're right, there is a lot more involvement in any forum than in your average social networking site. Not to mention generally more...intellectual people.
    If it were possible for me to easily leave Facebook for good, I'd do it in half a heartbeat.

6. Personally, I have a facebook and a twitter account because of being in college. There are a lot of cool on and off campus things organized by students that I get invited to simply by being a part of that page or feed.
    I also use facebook to quickly share links or videos or photos with my friends. That's pretty much it. And that's just because it's faster and more visible than email.

7. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Why would I want a Facebook? If I know you in person, then I'll either talk to you in person, over the phone, or via email. If I only know you online, then I'll talk to you through whatever site I know you from or send an email.

I suppose FB could be useful in that I could post what I'm up to, and any friends or family that are interested can follow my life without my having to talk to them independently, but that just seems so impersonal.

8. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only really use Facebook and Tumblr.
    Facebook lets me keep in contact with friends and family who live out of state since I hate texting and my phone has limited minutes. Emailing feels less personal.
    I use Tumblr to post things I would never dream of posting on Facebook and to talk to others who share the same interests as me.

Facebook is only as useful as you feel you can make it, really.

9. Hana Solo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'd delete my facebook probably, if it wasn't for the fact that I can keep up with friends who I can't see on a day to day basis for free, as opposed to texting, which costs money. It's a tool.

I also get some really cool pictures off pages I like, mostly Potter pages, and love that, but do little else on FB.

10. Ridiculous

Facebook shunners, UNITE!

I have a Twitter account but that's just so I can follow other people, none of which I know personally.

11. Luxord

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i barely do anything on facebook. it's more just to talk to my friends that i havn't seen in 4 years.

12. SweetGirl28

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't rarely social networks, have accounts, yes, use them, rarely. I see them as kinda pointless and a wast of time and full of drama and bs. Somebody talks to me about their FB and I am like whatever. I don't feel left out.

13. Mogenar

I don't have ANY of those. No facebook, no twitter, no myspace, no tumblr, no nothing. I kinda want a facebook, but really only because everyone else I know wants me to get one.

14. b0i70y

I use facebook to keep in touch with my friends who I can't see anymore. During highschool I was all, "this is pointless, dude," but afterwards, everyone moved to go to college. I'm one of, like, ten of my friends who still lives in the same area as me.

I was never really good at making friends to begin with, so I don't want to lose anymore.

15. Vesper

I've got FB, Twitter, and Google+ profiles, as well as a blog I keep private. I do know at least one person who has no social media presence, as far as I can tell, and several who have social networking accounts but rarely use them. Of course, there are plenty of other (and arguably, better) ways to communicate with friends.

#15 Vesper, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  16. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

I have a Facebook account but I rarely use it.

17. kellymporta

I have no facebook, no google+, and no twitter. I only have skype and msn messenger and I only use those when needed (when working on a group project).

18. scooby

When you're older, and you have nieces, nephews, grandchildren, and their wives/husbands/kids - when your friends from childhood and high school and college and previous jobs are spread across several states and countries, and it's not always easy to remember who's who, you will understand how wonderful it is being able to click on a name/photo and know who's related to whom and what they do for a living and what their kids are up to.

It's also much easier to just type in "I'm thinking about a move to a new city" and getting responses from everyone instantly, rather than calling each of my 70 family members and 150 friends and asking their opinions.

I had a best friend in 6th grade who was my twin, my rock. The adventures we had could've been a movie. I loved her to death and when she moved across the country I was devastated. I moved a few weeks after that and so neither of us had the other's address. I always wondered what had happened to her and even considered hiring a PI to help find her - her last name would have changed so who knows how I would have found her again had it not been for Facebook. Just typed her maiden name into the search box and checked each person's given elementary school. Took two minutes. After twenty years. And rather than waiting until she replied to my message I was instantly able to see pictures of her growing up, her prom night, her ugly bratty kid sister (who turned out super hot!) and pictures of her parents and her wedding day. I also instantly found out what her husband did for a living, where she went to college, and that she still played piano after all those years.

#18 scooby, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  19. maverick

I'm so extreme on the spectrum of introversion that I never understood the appeal. I have no desire to know what my old friends from high school or college or whatever are doing now. I don't have Facebook, Twitter, nothing.

I do have a blog, but I don't advertise it to my friends or family, it's just for keeping in contact with other writers.

20. Emberstone

if you dont use social media, why are you on empty closets... this forum is in essence a form of social media.