1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 keeps freezing?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by DarkClarity, Feb 11, 2012.

1. DarkClarity

As the title states, my xbox 360 keeps freezing. It's makes a horrible sound and then the screen goes funny and the controller becomes unresponsive so I have to turn it off using the button on the console. I've plugged out everything to make sure there wasn't any dust, I've opened the window so there's fresh air and the room is cool. It's nothing to do with the memory unit because it still froze when it wasn't plugged in. It's worth noting that I've had it for 5 years now and it's one of the earlier models, I've never had any problems with it before and the 'red ring of death' has never flashed. Any suggestions or do I have to accept that it's just knackered and I have to get rid of it?

#1 DarkClarity, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. Kernel Panic

it sounds like it might be the fans on the way out,to be more specific,it sounds like it might be the heatsink fan because of the immediate disturbance to the xbox.

the box needs opening to get a look,but if doing a DIY investigation make sure to read up on how to do it all,safety dos/donts and definitely how to ground self.

am in no way a skilled person on this but if it is the fan causing the trouble-the best solution might be just that the fan needs a good blow out,there are tins of air which can be bought from PC repair shops,no idea if hoovers and the type woud be safe or not.

-have got several laptops which can be evil sometimes with their fans,rarely they will without any warning make this incredibly violent grinding noise,end up doing a hard shut down and doing some serious fan blowing plus tipping them at different angles seems to help to.

#2 Kernel Panic, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  3. vyvance

Don't know much about the xbox, but I know a friend was getting similar problems and did something called the "penny trick". Works fine now. Might wanna look into it assuming he wasn't fixing some other problem than the one you have.

4. DarkClarity

@ vyvance: No the penny trick won't address the problems that I have with the xbox but thanks anyway for the suggestion.

@ Kernel Panic: I check it out and there was dust all over. Gave it a good clean. Put it back together. The 'red ring of death' appeared. Turns out that I didn't put a piece back in properly so I'll have to take it apart and put it back together again. :bang:

5. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What is the red ring of death?

6. Emberstone

have you considered wrapping it in a blanket so it doesnt freeze?

okay, in all seriousness, if it is 5 years old, it might be that the hardware is starting to wear out/degrade. Even if you dont use a computer/console too heavily, things break down naturally with time.

7. sanguine

its when the ring around the start up manual button on the xbox goes red instead of green to show how many controllers are in

and i agree with kernal panic, you probably need a fan

8. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Get a PS3 so me and you can play online together :slight_smile:

That is all.

9. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I do have an Xbox but I have never heard of it. Is it just like a blue screen of death with computers, leave it for a bit and it's fine?

10. sanguine

nah its not like a computer LOL red ring of death is prety much the end of that xbox unless it was because it was overheated, i have one of lucky xbox's that didnt go down with the red ring of death those years ago :icon_bigg

11. b0i70y

Unfortunately, it's time to say goodbye to your XBox. Next-gen game consoles are built using performance hardware, and that means their lifespan is severely diminished. Five years is quite a long time to keep that stuff going, and in all honesty a very, very good lifespan for a classic 360. That's like a dog living to twenty.

Your hardware is just waring out.

Sorry. :frowning2:

12. Tiny Catastrophe

I have an elite for a long time and it did something similar but also wouldn't read discs. I would suggest just getting a new one because I don't think it can be fixed. My friend and I took mine apart a ton of times and couldn't fix it. I would suggest getting a refurbished elite (if they still sell them) because in my opinion the newer xbox's are crap. There's a tiny hard drive in them and it's internal so you can't use the memory from your current xbox with all your saved games and stuff like that. That's what I did when I got a new one plus it's half the price of the newer xbox's.

13. b0i70y

It's not crap. It actually runs smoother and cooler than the old ones.

Also, you can transfer your old data onto it using a transfer cable.

And, it doesn't have to have a tiny hard drive. You can get one with 250 GB like I did.

14. Tiny Catastrophe

Yeah and it cost like $400. All of my friends that have the new ones have so many issues with them.

15. b0i70y

It costs 300$. Which is still a little much. I think it comes down to luck of the draw, as it does with any game system, because no one I know - including myself - has had issues with them. *shrug*