1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 8 beta

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by giantsteen, Feb 21, 2012.

1. giantsteen

So the Windows 8 beta officially comes out to consumer on February 29th for free to use for about a year. Who here is eager to try it? It's so much faster than Windows 7, but I am unhappy they got rid of the Start Menu, but I have a tablet PC so I think the start screen will work just fine!!

2. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

I might just have to try it out. I like the idea of not having a start menu.

3. Emberstone

so what happens at the end of the year, does your computer just stop working until you buy windows 8?

4. giantsteen

Well yeah, but the Release Candidate should be out by the summer, which is more updated than the beta, and I think they give some people time to try out the RTM (the finalized version). So yeah it'll be one wild ride! Can't wait for its release!

5. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

...Wait...What??

6. giantsteen

No actually it just shuts down every 2 hours. I wouldn't worry about it.

7. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

Okay. Whew. I can live with that.

8. BudderMC

Is there any way to revert back to Windows 7 after I test out 8, if I don't like it? (at least without repurchasing it)

9. giantsteen

There is no way to go back to 7. I'd say that you should make a seperate partition to test Windows 8 on so you can dual boot your primary OS and Windows 8.

10. Adam

I am a nerd and always love trying out the Windows betas! Windows 8 is going to be really different and going to be awesome I am sure

11. BudderMC

Hmm, thought so. Got a link of some sort of preview on what the changes are like?

12. giantsteen

Well right now Microsoft has the Developer Preview out, which was released in September, but I don't reccomend installing it now since it's so old and the beta comes out in a week, but here is a video of something I made a while ago

WinBeta Guides: Sharing Internet Connection in Windows 8 - YouTube

Windows 8 is DEFINETLY a tablet operating system but it works OK on laptops and desktops too. The start menu is gone, and the start screen has replaced it.

The boot times are amazing, and there are so many other things it's amazing. I suggest reading the Wikipedia page because there is so much information on it.

#12 giantsteen, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  13. BudderMC

^ Sweet, thanks! I hadn't heard about a new Windows until well... now, so I figured this was some breaking news kinda deal :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. starfish

I already have the developer preview running on my Acer Iconia Tab. I am very impressed and am looking forward to the beta.

I have been very impressed with it.

15. giantsteen

I am running the Developer Preview on my Dell Inspiron Duo tablet. I do have to say, Windows 8 was made for tablets. I reccomend those with laptops and desktops stay with Windows 7 unless they really wanna try Windows 8 for themselves.

16. BudderMC

The Start screen reminds me of the menu thing on the XBox 360 (I don't own one, I watched my friend once). I assume that's intentional in some way... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. giantsteen

Yeah it's called "Metro User Interface." It's seen on Windows Phone, XBOX's, Zunes, and now on Windows.

18. starfish

I agree that Windows 8 really is optimized for touch screens. I postulate that in the next 18 months most mid and high end notebooks will have touch screens.

I should also say the thing I like about Windows 8 is the Metro interface. Instead of a bunch of dumb icons that sit there looking pretty, they not present useful information to me. So now my menus become part of my workflow, presenting the information I need without having to look for it.

#18 starfish, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  19. giantsteen

I can't wait for Office 15 to come out in beta this summer, and Windows Live Essentials for Metro.

20. Emberstone

I have a pc netbook/tablet combo, and this looks like, since it is made with multi-touch in mind, it will beat window 7, which sucks with touch.