1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you remember or can you imagine a time where.....

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Paul_UK, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Many of you are of an age where you have had a lot of technology around you for the whole of your lives so probably take it for granted. So as a quick comparison to life when I was 16 back in 1980, do you remember or can you imagine a time where....

- There is no internet.

- Computers were vastly expensive and used only in limited numbers by big companies. The early 80s the home computers were just starting to appear with things like the Sinclair ZX80.

- There were no CDs. You bought your music on vinyl or cassette.

- There were no iPods or other similar small personal audio units. A cassette walkman was a new must-have gadget.

- There were no DVDs. You rented or bought films on VHS or Betamax tapes..... if you could afford a video recorder.

- There was no satellite TV and only a few areas had cable. Most people in the UK had a choice of just 3 TV channels.

- Quite a lot of people still used black-and-white television sets because colour ones were so expensive.

- There were no mobile phones. In fact there were not even many cordless phones in houses, many homes had just one phone in the hall.

- In the UK at least the main radio station that teenagers wanted to listen to, Radio 1, was on AM only. It sounded fairly bad (especially at night) and was mono only.

- Digital watches were an expensive novelty.

We've come a long way in the last 28 years.

2. jroakwood

oh ew. i would die.
    sorry. i would.
    i love all the shit we have. hahah.
    im so glad im 16 in 2007-2008, instead of 1980.

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Remember though it is only by looking back and comparing that we realise what's changed. I bet if you were to look back in 20 years time you'd think what we have now is limited.

We obviously didn't know what was coming in the future so what we had seemed fine at the time (well apart from Radio 1 being on AM only - we knew that was crap).

The thing that would have helped me most back then would have been an internet connection and a site like EC.

I should have added too that there were no games consoles. You could get basic bat-and-ball TV games like this though....

[​IMG]

4. xxAngelOnFirexx

yeah i think about that then i look at all the junk the tiny tots today have! i would have loved all these little robots. i had like one when i was older of a cat and it was very... low tech and boring. yet i loved it. lol like i didn't already have many real cats. but yeah things have changed. i keep getting jelous i didn't group up later as to experience these new things. when i was little skate shoes where rare on not as popular now i can't walk through the mall without those damn kids skating into me! its so and it always will be. my neighbor is 96. she's been through both wars and war born not to long as cars were invented! of course she didnt update so she never really seem much. once i took my razr phone over adn was showing her what it did and stuff. it was really cute. i can imagine me at almost 100 marveling at like hoverboards, personal jet backs, and all this stuff i read in this futuristic magazine article. of course by then (as it said) people can live to like 150, 200 and have antiaging so a 70yr old mother looks the same age as her 30 year old daughter! crazy crazy techno stuff. when i was little i never had no video games i ran around outside! and i was the only kid in my class who wasn't chunky.in like 1-3 grade.

5. sdc91

Uh, my house circa 1993?

Well we had television (basic) and radio. lol

But I barely watched or listened, and I didn't have a video game system or anything until I was about 7. I just played around with Hot Wheels and stuffed animals.

6. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well. When I was like 4, I remember that:

* We had a VCR (VHS-based) and it was like, wow, a VCR.

* We had a TV set, no cable (it didn't exist back then in Uruguay)

* We didn't have a computer, but sometimes I got to use my uncle's. It was 386DX-based, running at 33 MHz and with (I think) 2 MB of RAM. It ran DOS and Windows 3.0. It had a VGA video card but a monochrome monitor.

* We didn't have an audio system. Just a little radio. Not even a walkman.

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I remember the WOW! feeling with being able to record television programmes for the first time. Video recorders were revolutionary machines when they were first released (despite initially being quite poor quality and going through several standards before VHS won).

I also remember the amazement of colour television. It seemed so futuristic, and we had one in our own home (even though it was rented and it was forever going wrong).

I don't think the technological advances have that sort of "wow factor" to the same extent now.

Another one to add to the list.... No digital cameras. Cameras used film and you had to take the film for processing to see what the photos were like.

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I remember one of my friends getting HBO and how cool it was to go to his house and watch relatively new movies on TV! Paul, the name of that game was PONG. I remember being addicted to it! lol

9. InaRut

You what though...I'd tottaly choose to live in the 1960's then now.
    The music was empowering, the fashion was desirable, and the sex was wild.

Now we have hateful music, some really sketchy fashion, and sex that is a little too wild.
    Haha

Just looking back what we have is the second worse generation (pop culture wise) next to the 80's at number 1.

10. sdc91

What, you didn't like the 80's music or clothing?
    :roflmao:

11. InaRut

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K4iTh1TL9g[/YOUTUBE]
    *ahem*
    Although the 80's had some great television...
    Fashion...
    Music...
    Nahhh

12. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Id either probly go mental or go die of boredem

13. Étoile

I still don't own a cell phone or Ipod/MP3 player. I've still got my trusty Walkman lying around somewhere in my house. LOL

When I was younger circa '97-'98 we only had one cordless phone, one computer with no Internet connection, one of those A/C that went into the wall, no heating and air system, and countless rats and roaches. Surprisingly, I had my two trusty Sega Genesis and Playstation with hundreds of games. I was happy.:icon_wink So many things have changed in 10 years. Just think about how things will be in 2018.

14. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

I would be DEAD.
    I mean, seriously, what am I suppose to do when I'm bored or when my friends are like busy and can't hang out with me? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to do a lot more reading back then, and I still regret I don't do more now.

Anyway, I was watching Bill Moyers' Journal on PBS the other day (everyone should watch that show... it's SO interesting) and he had a guest on talking about how capitalism is broken and one of the reason he thinks that so is that so much money and effort is thrown into marketing stuff, creating needs that we don't really have, while meanwhile needs that capitalism could be fulfilling and making money from go unmet. And while I love gadgets like cool cellphones, computers, mp3 players, and digital cameras... they are DEFINITELY things that when you get right down to it none of us really NEED. Why do we know this? Because as Paul pointed out, 20 or 30 years ago we didn't have them and people then didn't think "Oh my gosh my life is over because I can't instantly send a message to someone on the other side of the world" or "Geez I can't call up so and so RIGHT NOW."

Not to say they are evil things or things that haven't in some ways enhanced our lives but they're not the necessities that they are made out to be in advertising, much of it directed at teenagers (and younger people). And of course, somehow it never gets brought up that probably 90% of the world's population has no access to any of this stuff. We tend to think that technology drives society but really society tends to drive technology just as much, so we get cool gizmos that are neat but aren't really fulfilling any higher purpose... or that we're not using for any higher purpose, since technology can be used productively or just as a time-waster.

Anyway, that's just some of my anti-marketing/anti-out-of-control consumerism speech. Advertisers don't want us to think, they just want us to WANT without any restraint or consideration.

16. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    I am old enough to remember good old VHS cassettes, and recording programmes off of sky box office, before they encrypted it - lol. But I have to admit now that technology controls my life.

I remember a day of massive power failure around this area, couldn't cook, couldn't clean, couldn't watch tv to pass time or go on the internet. Even at work we had to close because without computers banks cannot function... It was totally crazy.

That being said though, I'd love to get away on a holiday somewhere without these mod cons and I love going camping out in the Yorkshire dales. So... I could survive if all these things disappeared. But I'd need time to prepare... and exchange telephone numbers with people :wink:

17. Steam Giant

First of all, I loved pong ^^

Second, I remember quite a few of those things, because I was very interested with technology at an early age. I can still remember a text-based internet, our good-ole Commodore 64 that my dad used for writing sermons (it would regularly take 30 minutes to print!). We played attari, games on the commodore 64, on the commodore amega, and were absolutely astonished by the capabilities of the Nintendo Entertainment System, which we picked up very early on.

It did take us a very long time to get into the computer scene, but when we did, we made sure to pick up something top of the line that would last us forever... a pentium 800-something with a whopping 4 gigs of harddrive space (my brother's tech-savvy friend had a 1.6 gig)! That sonofabitch cost us $2000.00, heh!

Oh, and my very first CD had instructions on how to care for this "new technology" written on the back, heh.

18. Steam Giant

The Commodore Amiga first appeared on the scene during 1985, and quickly became known as a gaming machine due to its graphical/sound capabilities. It was the most popular in mainland europe, and stayed popular there a long while after the world forgot it ever existed. Some modern-day video game companies can trace their origins to programming for the Amiga.

Oh, and nintendo first released its gaming platform in 1983 :thumbsup: which was first considered to be a network-capable family computer, capable of running advanced (for their time) video games.

So gaming consoles started appearing very soon after the year you're reminiscing about ^^

19. CrimsonThunder

Yeah it does, its just not enough companies are trying to push things further. Take the Wii for example its the only console to do something different, 360 and PS3 only went for graphics, wii made me go WOW.

With the iPod touch I went WOW because its awesome. Nothing new but its awesome.

20. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can beat you there: our first computer THAT ACTUALLY HAD a hard drive had a 40 MB one. Note: megabytes. Not gigabytes. Megabytes!

Of course my mum worked for IBM in the late 60s and fed their computers code on punch cards, so everything is relative. :lol: