1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mass Effect 3 backlash: why gamers should be ashamed

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Level75, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Level75

Sigh...

Mass Effect 3 backlash: why gamers should be ashamed | Official PlayStation Magazine

EDIT: Double sigh...

http://www.thegameeffect.com/news/fans-slam-mass-effect-3-on-metacritic-with-anti-gay-reviews

I shouldn't be surprised though. It's always the insecure ones who feel anything courting gay people is threatening. And other gamers are more insecure than most, always going around trying to apologize for their hobby or scream from the hills that it's all art and that commoners just don't understand.

#1 Level75, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  2. Cascade

And the human race sinks to a new low. They were fine with female Shepherd having lesbian sex, but male Shepherd having gay sex? Inconceivable!

I think this is what we call a double standard.

3. Ridiculous

Interesting they didn't complain about the lesbian options that were pressed on the player in the first two games. Actually, not interesting, because we all know exactly what these kids are like - thankfully they remove themselves from society of their own accord... we only have to put up with them on the Internet.

4. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Mass Effect is a huge franchise. I really doubt anyone is going to be swayed to not purchase the game by some random commentators on an anonymous forum at this point. They can complain all they want but my Shepherd will be as gay as the day is long, thank you very much.

5. Shevanel

The only backlash I've thus heard about ME3 is about EA and their bullshit moneygrabbing schemes. The sex scene bs has been around since the 1st Mass Effect (and any other BioWare game that involves these types of romantic options), so yes, they actually did give a shit about the lesbian scenes too.

6. unknownerror

Wait? I've only had a chance to play for about 4 hours so far (my roommate has like 40+ hours lol) but there is an option to play my Shepard as gay? that's awesome...though I'm not sure it seems entirely fitting to the character (at least as I've played him through the first 2 games)

Its funny because I very nearly started over with the first game as a female the other day since I was just starting to come to grips with myself. (but that would mean putting off playing the new game for way too long :lol:slight_smile:

7. adam88

As I can't stand the voice actor for the male Shepard (Jennifer Hale as female Shepard... swoon:eusa_danc) I've had queer options since Mass Effect 1. :grin: Liara, Kelly.... mmmmm. :slight_smile:

8. Mogenar

Ah, Jennifer...

Yes, I love my FemShep. I wish I was FemShep.

Also, I hate Mark Meer almost as much as I hate homophobia.

Actually, no. I hate him more.

And while the endings of the game were all at least partial bullshit (not because they were sad, mind you, but because they were ridiculous deus ex machinas), the game overall was amazing.

TL;DR: FemShep is better, but props to BioWare for including Gay!Shep.

9. unknownerror

yeah I really really want to play over from the beginning as female. but that would mean waiting to play the new game and not following up on a hefty investment of hours :icon_wink

I guess I know what I'm doing next :wink:

10. Zontar

EA ruins everything they get their hands on. I've heard from friends that Sims 3 is getting a lot of social networking bullshit shoved into it; wouldn't surprise me.

11. Mogenar

Not true. You could romance Bastila/Carth in KOTOR, but there was only a kiss. Though a sex scene in a Star Wars game would've been a bit weird... and it was rated T. But still, there was limited romance in KOTOR, and no sex scene. Just sayin'.

12. unknownerror

and the options in Jade empire were all over the place (and a bit silly to think that you could get 2 woman interested in sharing you...but hey it worked for Robert jordan....)

13. Mogenar

14. unknownerror

Were you asking about Robert Jordan? he was the author of most of the wheel of time book series. (he passed away a few years ago and another writer is finishing the story from his extensive notes)

the reason that I mentioned it, is because the primary character of the series has 3 women that are all quasi mutually married to him.

15. Mobiusponder

Have done the female shepard les thing for a while now. I was only able to play for like 30 mins as male shep, was just ... worse.
    Ridiculous that this wasn't in the first two games. Wasn't it? I always kind of assumed.
    But ... yeah. People are stupid sometimes.

16. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was planned for ME1, with dialogue and cutscenes still in there (except for the one where they actually do the deed.) but it was dummied out in the release version, IIRC.