1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Cleanup!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BudderMC, Mar 28, 2012.

1. BudderMC

So, I'm planning on tonight being my 'tidy up my computer so it'll hopefully run a bit faster' night. The only things I know I should do are:

- disk cleanup
    - disk defrag
    - delete a whole bunch of unnecessary crap on my desktop

Obviously I'm not expecting a massive increase in speed, but a little bit might not hurt. Anyone else have any other suggestions, tips, or apps or something that would help in this process? I'm running Windows 7 by the way. Thanks guys!

2. djt820

It's smart to defrag your PC at least once a month. Are you using the Windows Defrag program? I'd also recommend a program called CCleaner, and run the cleaner and the registry fixer every so often.

3. NickT

I recommend using soap and water *nodnod* :grin:

4. BudderMC

Yep, running Windows Defrag. I just downloaded CCleaner, and am gonna run that too. Thanks!

Maybe as an absolute last resort :rolle:

5. TriCube

With Windows Uninstaller tool you can uninstall programs you haven't used in a long time (it will tell you the last date used), or bloat ware that comes preinstalled that you don't use. But that will mostly free up space on your hard drive.

Another thing you can do is tell certain programs to not automatically start when you boot up windows. You'd be surprised at the programs that automatically start and run in the background without you knowing.

6. Brandon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know this is an old thread but I'm running Windows Vista, it's been running a bit slow lately. So I downloaded a program MyDefrag and it's a lot better than the Windows Defrag because you just run the program and you have no IDEA how long it's going to take or what exactly it's doing. But with MyDefrag it tells you the what files it's moving and you can do a weekly, daily or monthly disk defrag and it's made my computer a lot faster.

Then you can go through the SERVICES that run on your computer and go through them and turn them off, if you are unsure I would search Google.com to see if you need to have that service running it will cut down on all the clutter that is running on your computer.

Then with what TriCube said to do the startup process get rid of any programs that you don't want opening up and it will increase your start up time by a great deal. CCleaner is a great program too but I usually just find it useful to get rid of registry errors and cleaning up my Browser content.

7. Charni

Charni Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    how can you stop programs from running on start up?

8. Ridiculous

If you are on Windows, type "msconfig" into the search bar in the Start menu. Select msconfig.exe.

The "Services" and the "Startup" tabs list all the processes and programs that run automatically; they can be disabled by unticking them. A great deal of them are important though so don't turn something off unless you know what it is.

9. Tim

Tim

And certain programs, like Avast! Antivirus cannot be disabled through such ways. They're made to stay on for a reason. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Surprised no one suggested he run an anti-virus program, or something like Ad-aware, Malware Bytes, etc. Viruses or Ad/Spy/etc-ware can slow down a computer massively.

10. Brandon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He listed

- disk cleanup
    - disk defrag
    - delete a whole bunch of unnecessary crap on my desktop

So figured that he was already up to date with keeping his virus situation clean from bad nasty bugs.

I don't even think I use Ad-aware I think I deleted it after using Malware Bytes since it basically is the best program I've ever used way better than Spy-Bot Search and Destroy that program NEVER wants to pick up any thing. But then again maybe my computer is just very clean.