1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future consoles?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by DarkClarity, Mar 30, 2012.

?

Will stationary consoles like the PS3 and Xbox 360 eventuallly die out?

1. Yes, they will.

14.3%
  2. No they won't.

28.6%
  3. I don't see it happening for a very long time.

50.0%
  4. I'm not sure.

7.1%
  1. DarkClarity

The releases of both the 3DS and PS Vita show how handheld consoles are becoming much more advanced and stationary consoles like the PS3 and Xbox 360 are becoming more slim and compact. Also wireless technology is getting much better. There's Kinect and the Wii U. So I was wondering do you think that one day that stationary consoles will die out? I honestly think that one day they will.

2. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I haven't been paying as much attention to games as I would if I could afford them, but I don't think stationary consoles are gonna disappear for a while. The fact is, they're much more powerful than handheld sytems, and that is what will draw gamers. Yes, handhelds have grown pretty freaking awesome lately, but stationary consoles have even greater potential because they have more space to store the data that makes the games so good. Besides that, One console and one screen (plus multiple controllers) are more convenient for multiplayer games than everyone getting thier own copies of everything (which could get expensive).

However, with the ever-increasing awesomeness of handheld systems, not just in terms of graphics and game size, but also in terms of general technology and what the system itself is capable of, along wioth the general convenience of handheld systems (such as the ability to play on my DS while my PS3 is loading) handheld systems are definitely becoming a greater part of the market.

While I don't see stationary consoles "dying out," handheld systems are definitely becoming a major part of the market now. But I have to remind you that MMOs are too big to be run on handhelds (for now; I'm sure a handheld MMO will appear someday), and whatever a handheld can do, a stationary console can do better.

3. CrimsonThunder

I hope all consoles die out soon, they're just holding back PC gaming.

Handheld consoles are quickly being replaced by phones, because you can play games on phones and that means theres no need for a dedicated handheld.

4. Zontar

They're shooting themselves in the fucking foot with this activation, no used games DRM shit. Basically blew away my last thought of ever purchasing a console again. $60 for every game I buy? Go fuck yourselves, Sony & Microsoft.