1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet not working properly

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Mogget, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Mogget

My computer's been having a problem with internet for some months. Whether it's plugged in via ethernet cable or connected via wifi, it randomly disconnects from any where from a few seconds to a minute, then reconnects. The problem's definitely in my computer, as other people are able to connect to my internet without any difficulty. I have a PC, Windows 7, and no idea what to do about this.

2. Kyllani

I'd run a virus scan just to be on the safe side, but I highly doubt that's your problem.

It's could be a problem with your NIC. Is it a wired/wireless card or do you have separate cards for each?

3. Chickzak

Tough going, I've been having the same problem -not sure whats wrong with the internet connection but its a little slow. I agree with Kyllani, maybe there's a virus in the computer thats causing the whole thing to slow down? Or maybe theres way too much programs running at once, or even limited memory for all your files?

Hope you work it out, I know how frustrating it is when you want to get something done.. and the internet is making you so slloow!!

4. Mogget

What's an NIC? I'm fairly sure it's not a virus, as I run a virus scan on my computer regularly and nothing turns up.

5. Kyllani

A NIC is your Network Interface Card. It regulates a lot of your internet stuff. You can run a command window and then type ipconfig to find out your IP address. Then ping it through a command window. It should ping back a few times. That's the best way of testing your NIC that I know of.

6. Mogget

7. djt820

Your ethernet port/card could be going out.

8. Kyllani

Yep. NIC/ethernet...same difference.

To ping your IP...open a command window (you can just type cmd in the search bar and it should be the only thing that pops up), then type ipconfig. That will show you your IP. Then type ping and the IP address. It will "ping" the address 3(or 4?) times, each time should be around 1ms.

That's the only way I know to test your card.

But anyway, all that crap aside, it's probably your card. Can't quote labor, but a new card could come as cheap as 20 bucks depending on what you put into it.

9. Ridiculous

How regularly does this happen? Is it common enough that if you, say, used it for an hour you'd be able to tell if the problem was fixed or not?

You could try running your computer in safe mode w/ networking, which will disable any extraneous programs from starting up, ruling out a situation where something is interfering with your connection somehow (it doesn't have to be a malicious program - it's possible that it is something innocent that, for example, routinely checks for updates but in the process breaks things).
    However unless you can determine pretty easily whether the problem is fixed this may not be very useful. If it only happens once a day then you can't really tell whether safemode fixed it or you just didn't have a disconnection during that period you were testing.

If it is a laptop then you could try going somewhere where you can connect to an entirely different network, to rule out if it is a problem with your network configuration.

It could be a problem with your NIC, but there isn't anything to say that that is definitely the problem. Pinging your own address won't prove it because that would also fail if either of the above issues were the cause.