1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My whole family now suspects//That playing Sims has side-effects.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by WeirdnessMagnet, Apr 6, 2012.

1. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok. Not really. But, strange thing, the moment when I really felt I'm not straight and don't want to be straight was when I did something I was afraid to do for years... I loaded Sharpes (From TS2 UNI) and did "the right thing," basically reversing their official story - kicked Roxie out (she wants a dorm life to have a lot of sims to flirt with) and gave Edwin some fitness training and a fabulous makeover that let him win Jonah's heart (because they're so cute together.)

I noticed there is quite a lot fellow simmers here, so I just wonder if anyone else had an easier time accepting their queerness because of The Sims? Or should I get out more? :grin:

2. TheLadyPrince

Haha, I know what you mean. I remember how when Sims 1 was still out how I used to hook up the girl Sims with other Sims. I did it with the boys sometimes too but mostly the girls. I was only about eleven or twelve so the whole concept of being gay was kind of alien to me. Either way, I also think that the Sims helped me come to terms with what I was interested in because I was exposed to same-sex relationships at such a young age and in Sim world it was treated as no biggy so I got it in my head that being gay or bi or whatever was no big deal and made it easier for me to come to terms with what I was.

Also, I haven't played Sims 3 in nearly a year and had finally thought I'd gotten over my addiction but readng this thread makes me wanna play again. Damn it, I've fallen off the wagon! D:

3. Pain

Pain Guest

Yeah actually... haha.. Even though I only have the Sims 1 with a couple silly expansion packs, I was interested by the idea that you could make them have same-sex relationships and stuff... I thought (because I was younger and still kinda afraid of stigmas, taboos, etc.) that it would have been something big and foreign, but no, it was like any other Sim relationship. :slight_smile: It actually did make me feel a little relieved at the though, looking back on it....

4. Vesper

The Sims games have had side-effects on me, for sure. They have gotten me thinking more about marriage and family stuff than I had before. I lived vicariously through my Sims; my self-Sims were always highly successful, wealthy, and fulfilled in their relationships. They were also thin, owing to the fact that Sims can dump about 50 lbs. in a few hours on the treadmill.

I made quite a few lesbian Sim couples in the years that I've played Sims, and got quite attached to them. These facts should have clued me in that I wasn't straight.

Same here. It's just that it's such a hassle to get everything in working order--the custom content, the mods, the patches--that it's more time-consuming to do THAT than to actually play. One of my favorite savefiles got corrupted, meaning I have to save every Sim; record every detail about their relationships, skills, memories, etc.; save each of their houses that I'd customized; and transfer all of them to a new neighborhood that I find suitable. How am I going to find time to do all that when I have exams to pass and a job to find?

5. Subwoofer

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My sisters were always into the sims. But whenever I played I just made a bunch of big dudes and that was it.

6. Lewis

I used to create a whole family, put them in a house with no fire alarms/phones and get them all cooking - what does that say about me?

[​IMG]

7. Subwoofer

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    your mean.

8. Lewis

:icon_twis

9. Abayomi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yup... Done all of the above! Everything. Including killing off my sims in house fires :grin:

I created and played through a really messed up sims 3 story... It was awesome. I should play again..............

Oh, btw, for those who play sims 3. There's actually a hidden feature in Sims 3 where there are in game stocks that you can buy and sell. It's a working stock market! Yep! You just search on google, sims 3 stock market and then download the custom content that enables it and soon you'll be making hundreds of thousands of dollars being a daytime stock trader. My sim went from living in a shack with a computer to owning a 750,000 dollar car in about 1 in game week. The car was custom content btw :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My friends think I'm a loser -.-

10. LimePopsicle

LimePopsicle Guest

Never really thought about it until now, but yes! I would often want to be a guy in the game, but then my family would start saying that I'm a girl and stuff. So I played a girl and would secretly let her like BOTH genders. It was...I guess I should have guessed something because I would often wish I was my sim when she was kissing a fellow female sim :lol:

Edit: Reading the stuff above makes me want to play. It's not possible right now because our computer that holds all the games is broken. Oh no....so much for not having the urge in over a year...

#10 LimePopsicle, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2012
  11. Just Passing

I loved The Sims series, definitely one of the best game series ever made. Bizarrely though, I barely played the gay side of the series. If I ever get around to playing TS2 again, I think it's about time I made my honest Sim self. :grin:

12. cheshire

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hah I would do the same or flood their homes or just see how sad I can make them in general, I'm such a meanie

13. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

I haven't played the Sims in awhile. That game is the reason my homophobe of a step father knows I'm into ladies. I guess it's my fault for pretending I was in a relationship with a woman on a game.

I kinda wanna play now lol.

14. GayJay

Yeah i used to make myself in a relationship with a Sim lookalike of my crush at school.
    It wern't my game though so when i give it back to my friend he was like erm... i have something i want to ask.. ahahaa

This has made me want to play the Sims!

15. secretguyX

I'll admit, I may have started fires/floods in a Sims house one or twice... :rolle:

But yeah, I seemed to have more gay/lesbian couples with my characters than straight couples, never really thinking much of it.

16. Ichi42go

I WAS JUST TALKING TO MY FRIEND ABOUT THIS!!! I recently realized (after being addicted to the Sims for years) that I would spend hours working on the families, buuuuut, only a few minutes on the female members. Even when I was a preteen I would work so hard to create the perfect male sim XD.

I'm pretty sure that at one point I even killed off a wife and got the husband a new one because the son they made together looked funny..... (HOW did I not know I prefer men?.........) <<< I am considering this my first "ignored" sign.

17. Vesper

I was (and still am) the same way, except I would spend much more time working on female Sims, and definitely paid much more attention to them than to the males. I was also more attached to the female Sim children.

Add those to the fact that I created several lesbian Sim couples to only one gay Sim couple (Nervous Subject and Pascal Curious) that I didn't play much, and I realize that my Simming habits were one gigantic sign that I didn't give much thought to.

#17 Vesper, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  18. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I own all three tho the first two went neglected upon the third's arrival. I played some of the "stories" every so often, but often would give myself a hunky boyfriend or what not. Or I'd make my family, and then somehow make me fall in love with another boy. Then we'd get married, have our own house, though at one point I think I died, and then my husband wound up marrying the female roommate who had moved in...man I was weird for some reason lol. But yeah it's fun, I like being able to bargain with death a bit more now than just "oh look Death is here, bye loved one!" now it's more "well what if this happens, will you then not take him? Or if I just beg and plead?" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I haven't got any of the expansions though, though for Sims 1 I wound up getting all the expansions except for the Makin' Magic one. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. DJT

DJT Guest

I used to play the sims 3, but I would make a man and a woman because I wanted a family :3 ... Then, when the family was all grown up, I would get bored and figure out different ways to KILL THEM ALL :evil:! Mwhahaha! .. But in a nice way :redface:

20. Luna

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Actually, The Sims made it easier for me to accept that I'm lesbian. :slight_smile: It might sound stupid but I couldn't exactly google private stuff on my parents computer when I were young and I didn't own one myself… So I felt a little bit better about myself when I discovered that you could have same-sex relationships in The Sims. Yeah, I know that it's "just a game" and that you can do crazy stuff there, but I still felt more normal because someone thought about adding same-sex relationships to the game.