1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWTOR & MMO's

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Andane, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Andane

Anyone here play SWTOR? I'm a pretty avid WoW player, or rather, I was. I've been taking a break from it recently, and will probably go back around the next expansion. In the mean time, I was wondering how this game is. I have a friend who plays it, and I would like to try it, but as of now it lacks a free trial, and I'm a bit hesitant to shell out money something like $40 without knowing much about it. So if anyone here plays it, how is it? I'm particularly interested in PvP too, 'cause I do a lot of it xD Any similarities to WoW? Because for me, that game did a lot of things right.

2. Zanich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been a pretty avid player of it since release, and in my opinion, it's great. It's far from perfect though and definitely needs some love from Bioware. The PvP at the moment is pretty fun but it's getting a much needed touch up on Thursday with the release of patch 1.2. And there is definite similarities to WoW which will make the game easier to jump into because it lacks any sort of tutorial. The game has definite potential. I'd recommend you at least give it a try. There is a little referral system thing where I could send you a 7-day free pass for you to try it out if that's something you'd like?

3. Andane

All right. I think I'll give it a try then :icon_bigg And yeah, I'd take you up on that offer. Although, if I already have an account, can you send it to that email address? Or do I need to create a new one?

4. Zanich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It says anyone that doesn't have an active SWTOR account but I'm not sure if that pertains to an inactive-forum account or just a brand new one. I can refer up to 25 people though so no harm in trying a few times until it works.

Just PM me with your e-mail or something.

5. frostreaver

There was a free trial last weekend i think. The website is below if you want more details on the next few trials.

Star Wars: The Old Republic | Weekend Pass Free Trial

As for the game itself, I played it at launch for about 2 months. The gameplay imo is the weakest thing about it. The skills and such aren't very fun at all and it's gonna be quite similar to WoW. That said, I did like the healing system. It was something different and required quite a bit of resource management.

The quests are the usual mmo-fare with voice acting. The leveling content can be treated as a single player rpg if you like that kind. The new patch is gonna be out this Thursday which would bring quite a bit of content and new features. Still, I would recommending testing the game before buying it.

6. Zanich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Forgot about the weekend pass. I'd recommend giving that a go too if you want. And like frost said, testing it is a good idea. Not sure if they have that this coming weekend but feel free to give me a PM or whatever if they don't.

7. Andane

Yeah, if I end up having to make a new account anyway, I'll just do that. Oh, and apparently I can't PM you since I'm a regular member so I just left a message on your wall =P

8. Zanich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Looks like it's not going to work. Guess you can just wait for a weekend pass. I'm here if not.

9. frostreaver

I'm not the best person to ask about pvp since I stopped playing in January.

But when I did do their warzones (battlegrounds) it was fun, unless they keep giving you the same map when you queue lol. You can pvp at level 10 but you'll automatically have level 50 stats in the warzone but without the skills and talents of a max leveled character. So every character, regardless of level may pvp together. There were calls to have a separate bracket for 50s and I think that's the case now so fights wouldn't be too unfair.

10. Andane

All right, well, thanks anyway :icon_bigg At least from what I've heard, it's a decent game and worth a try. So I guess I'll do that this weekend.

11. Zanich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Plus, they're adding in a new warzone on Thursday along with ranked matches and leader-boards or something. I think you won't be able to play PUGs against a premade anymore which is great.