1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New headphones!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by JaeScheisse, Apr 14, 2012.

1. JaeScheisse

Out Status:
    A few people
    So i bought new headphones, these are the second pair i bought this month. (th first pair were having the same problem so i returned them)
    so about th problem the left side seems louder than the right side. i tried them on my 3rd gen ipod and computer. same problem. i dont have a hearing problem annnnddd.. yeah they just seem louder :S is there anything i can do? or should i just return em' again. these are 'theSPECKED' by PHILIPS | O'NEILL in-ears (buds)

cheers for any advice~

2. BudderMC

I dunno, the first thing that comes to mind is maybe your hearing is off, if it's happening in multiple music forms and with two different pairs ._.

Maybe get a friend to check them out and see if they have the same issue? It would at least rule out for sure that it's the headphones and not your ears.

3. Harve

4. ThatCoopKid

Go Skullcandy. They're good headphones, last about six months or so if you don't blast them all the time, and have amazing bass quality for your favorite music.

P.S. - Make sure that the headphone jack doesn't have a broken pin in your iPod/computer. If so, then it'll explain why one side is louder than the other.

5. djt820

Don't go Skullcandy. Go Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, or Sony. Skullcandy is garbage.

Also, most people can hear better with one ear more so than the other. I know I hear more with my left ear. Test your hearing with other headphones and if you experience the same effect, your left ear just picks up more.

6. vyvance

Sennheiser is the only way to go.

For your loudness problem, depending on your audio player of choice, you can manage volume per channel to equalize it.

7. speedracing22

+1 for Sennheiser. Bought them for my dad and he said they are the best.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sennheiser (and BeyerDynamic, but those are even pricier than Sennheiser) have been the industry standard for recording studios for decades. You can't go wrong with either of those, and I've also had great luck with Sony and Audio Technica.

But to your immediate problem... this may sound dumb, but have you swapped the earbuds (or whatever they are) to the opposite sides to ensure it's a problem with the headphones themselves and not with your hearing? If not... try that.

Then, if the problem moves with the headphones, it's clear that one side is louder than the other. And you've already tried them on multiple devices, so that rules out the plug on the ipod or whatever you're using them on.

If you've had two or three with the same problem, you're probably looking at a manufacturing defect, and it's entirely possible that the whole run of stock they have has the same problem. So that's why I'd consider a different brand. I do remember reading that there were a couple of brands that did have a run of bad headphones with the same sorts of problems you're describing, so it isn't unheard of.

9. secretguyX

All of my headphones break within the first month. I've had some Sony ones since October, and they still work perfectly. I recommend Sony.

10. intp150

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was going to offer the same suggestion as Chip: try putting the left earbud in the right ear, and the right in the left ear, and see if that makes a difference.

I recently bought a new set of earphones myself, the distinguishing feature being that they're Bluetooth and so will pair automatically with my iPhone. It's rather nice to be cordless. Only complaint is that the darned earbuds tend to fall out of my ear (usually the left) while I'm jogging. Other than that, they seem pretty nice.

11. JaeScheisse

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey I tried the left on my right ear and right to my left year but to no avail so.. my hearing's fine haha (I hope O.O) My dad just tried em' on. He says they're lousy too :S
    which is a disappointment cause' I paid AU$28 for em' after a 30% discount :l

12. Kidd

Kidd Guest

13. adam88

If you're looking for inexpensive in-ears, get the JVC air cushions. Fairly tough, cheap and very comfortable. For a bit more (about $100 here in Canada) there's the Klipsch Image S4 which isn't quite as comfy but much clearer sounding.

But yeah, I'm used to $350+ Grado 325is and Senn HD650s at home so my standards for headphones are a bit high compared to most.