1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a new smartphone?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by SkyDiver, May 4, 2012.

1. SkyDiver

What's your favorite smartphone, and why?

I REALLY want an iPhone 4s. But they're SO expensive.

2. Jessica816

Right now I have a Evo 4g and ill be upgrading soon to the Galaxy S 11 in a month or so

3. Dalmatian

Galaxy S III and One X look great, but there is no way I am going to spend that kind of money on a phone. Actually, I'm thinking of taking my old Nokia and return to once-a-week charging. This daily business with smartphones is ridiculous, they are mobile only in the sense that they can live through the trip from one outlet to another.

4. Mobiusponder

I have a Windows Phone 7 with keyboard. OMG. Keyboard IS THE BEST. I just wish the phone's RSS apps worked without making the phone reset every 15 minutes, but other than that [and the problem with the internet not working for my carrier] it's the phone that I want.

5. starfish

I have a Motorola Atrix 2. I have been very happy with it. My only complaint is that I wish Motorola would hurry up and release Ice Cream Sandwich for it.

6. I'm gonna be honest, I'm getting an iPhone. I know they're expensive, but everyone in my family has one (except me) and nobody has problems with theirs. The phone is gorgeous, intuitive and downright lovely to use. There's no 'what software' bullshit, there's no concern about your apps not working or being not what you thought they were...

I know the arguments against the iphone...But, you know, the user experience apple is giving me for all my other apple gadgets really does speak to me moreso than the arguments against their products.

7. Lewis

I have an iPhone 4S, but really really wish I got a Samsung Galaxy. The iPhone OS is really...boring.

8. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Get a Samsung Galaxy Note! A friend of mine has it and it's A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. I want one too, but here it is super expensive, almost 800 dollars.
    And I agree with Lewissss, Iphone OS is boring.

9. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    From my own and my friends' touch-screen smartphones I can conclude the following:

Blackberry Torch - mine - good for typing with physical qwerty keyboard, syncing emails, internet access and some apps (useful ones like train times and weather, not so much games). I can't stand typing on a screen keyboard and I need the phone for work and networking, keeping in touch with family and friends, not playing games on.

HTC One - boyfriend's - the cheap iPhone as intuitive and a lot of apps that work, not just the work-y ones. Emails good.

Samsung Galaxy - best friend's - A more fiddly touch screen, I find it too fiddly myself. Don't know about emails or apps. Seems nicely customisable though. There's the interesting way of typing by swiping over the letters rather than pressing them. Seems to work rather well and is a lot faster than conventional typing.

10. houseofcards

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    HTC Incredible 2. Got it for free on Black Friday and LOVE it.

11. Mellowish

i have a Galaxy SII and it's been working for me pretty well for a droid phone haha

12. evortis

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Love HTC phones better because of their build quality.. Samsung phones are too plasticy. Really like the Samsung Galaxy Note, tho, HUGE display.

this^ :grin:

13. SkyDiver

What's boring about it in comparison to other phones?

14. SA Boy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have a sony ericsson xperia mini, it's ok, not exactly a top of the range phone. The processor and camera are good but the screen is too small and quite a low resolution. If i had to choose the phone i most wanted it would be the sony xperia S. The first phone i liked was a sony so i'm sticking with that make.

15. provehito

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a Blackberry Bold 9900.
    I love it dearly and its my only connection to the friends I've made over the years that are now living in different countries and such (apart from facebook).

16. Lewis

I just find it really, simple. I like phones in which I find new features all the time and interesting things I can modify, i'ts really not customisable (not sure if that's a word) at all. You basically see what you get, which I find quite boring. It's hard to explain, it just lacks something, that something that can keep you enthused about your phone for longer than a couple of days. I like to work new things out all of the time and not know where everything is in like 5 minutes of having the phone. If you like simplicity, the iPhone is definitely for you, but if you like complexity and feature-fullness, then it's not.

17. BleedToLoveHer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Personally I do Smart Phone Tech Support for HTC and I would definitely recommend the Evo 4G LTE that is coming out from Sprint. (Also known as the One X from ATT or One S from T-Mobile.) This phone is INSANE. It has the most amazing camera I've ever witnessed on a phone and the phone over all is just great. It's the second thinnest phone in the world as well. Which could be a positive and a negative. But the battery is huge in the device even though it's internal like in an iPhone.

Personally I have an iPhone 4S but it IS really boring compared to Android phones. I'm thinking of getting an HTC Inspire. I find that you can personalize Androids more and they have more options/features .. they are just so fun !

18. qboy

The Sony Xperia S is awesome - brilliant screen, can do neat things (like watching programmes recorded on my satellite tv box (to the usb stick) plugged into it via a cheap adaptor, or connecting to the TV via HDMI and watching the same video on the TV), is really really fast (esp when compared with my two year old Android), good audio quality and the like. Brilliant camera. The GLONASS (Russian GPS) support means that the navigation stuff locks on pretty much instantly, even indoors (but near windows), and seams to be more accurate than GPS alone. The FM radio tuner isn't too bad either - manages to get Stereo reception (but hissy) of one local station which other radios often can't get.

Only slight drawback is the iffy battery life - can't seam to get through the day (do bare in mind that I listen to music on it throughout the day and for the last couple of days Google Music keeps randomly downloading albums draining the battery a bit more - the constant switching between four mobile networks can't be helping either (T-Mobile GSM, T-Mobile 3G, Orange GSM, Orange 3G)). It would also be nice to have digital radio on it too - just four FM stations is a bit too stingy.

I don't mind charging my phone every night, but I would rather have a slightly heavier phone that would see me through the day! I carried round a cassette walkman for years so am used to it.

The Micro SIM is an annoyance (can't pop it in my old handset should it develop a fault), and the battery isn't removable (can't easily replace it) - the lack of an SD card is less annoying (especially as I can plug a USB stick in with a USB On-The-Go adaptor and get 50GB of cloud storage for free, for life, from Box.net (hint the FolderSync app can sync to that account automatically - or you can set it to automatically sync with your NAS drive when connected to your home WiFi)). Oh, and Sony (Ericsson) being Sony (Ericsson) have swapped two of the most used buttons around again - every fscking upgrade for the last decade now! The charger is also really odd - the first plug I have ever come across with moving parts and it really doesn't fit in plug sockets properly (the UK Plug socket being weird doesn't work well with the strange layouts manufactures keep trying - only Apple make a good UK power brick - the Iphone 4 one)

I love customising things to my desires, and because of that the Iphone would annoy the hell out of me (and the screen is tiny!). Speaking of which Tasker is awesome - can get my phone to do exactly what I want when I want it - some of things I have it set to do are

• When I get in the car and it connects to Bluetooth - it turns WiFi off, disables auto sync, diverts calls to voicemail, and sets the SMS notification volume low (no need wasting battery on WiFi and no distractions from calls and texts)
    • When it sees the works wifi network it sets itself on silent
    • At bedtime it puts itself on silent and turns the volume on at wake up time.
    • When I plug my headphones in it lowers the volume automatically so it doesn't deafen me.
    • When I plug the charger in it turns on WiFi (as many of my apps are sent to only sync when on charge and wifi).
    • When I press the satnav button it turns the screen backlight to full, turns on the GPS unit (well did, I haven't rooted my new handset yet!), turns WiFi off, turns the volume to max the waits 15 seconds (to let the GPS unit initialise) and finally starts my SatNav app
    • When I tap "Save Battery" (or the battery level drops below 15%) it turns WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, and auto sync off, and dims the backlight.
    • When I tap "Standard Settings" it puts all those things back to my standard settings
    • When I tap "Dinner Time" it sets an alarm for 60 minutes from now reminding me my dinner break is over.

Try doing that on an Iphone!

#18 qboy, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  19. TheRoof

I want iPhone but I hate how the smartphones have ridiculous monthly bills. I might finally get one though since I have a part time job now.

20. aeva

I love my Droid, and have an ongoing Droid vs iphone point system with every one of my iphone-owning friends. Gotta say, droid is winning every battle.