1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Into Fighting Games??

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ShadowDragon, May 5, 2012.

1. ShadowDragon

Im just curious how many people like fighting games.. It doesnt seem like the fighting game community is that big comared to other gaming communities.. I love fighting games <3 Right now on my PS3 i have Soul Calibur 5, Tekken 6, BlazblueEX, Skullgirls (Which is my favorite game right now), Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition, Arcana Hearts 3, and Mortal Kombat. Also what's your favorite fighting game and how good are you at them? I find my self really good at them some of them a lot better than others.. Oh and one more question! Have you ever been to fighting game tournaments? I havent because theres none in my area sadly :/

2. vyvance

I play them probably more than any other genre. King of Fighters XIII and Street Fighter 3: Third Strike are neck and neck for favorite game. Play SSF4:AE more than anything else though, since most of friends play that.

3. ShadowDragon

Ive never played KOF before but ive heard its pretty hard.. I have 3rd strike but just like SF4AE I suck at it... I kinda gave up on SF lol..

4. Pilgrim is hot

I quite enjoy fighting games, currently own super smash bros, Tekken 6, Street Fighter 2 and trying to get into Blazblue as the visual are stunning but the gameplay is way too complex for me.

5. Bolin

My. Favorite. Genre. Tekken is by far my favorite series, followed by the Marvel vs. Capcom series. I'm pretty good, and none of my friends can ever beat me. xD I've also played (an like) the Soul series, Street Fighter (Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Street Fighter III: Third Strike are my favorite from that franchise), SNK vs Capcom, Mortal Kombat (Mortal Kombat Trilogy ftw!)...I've played Virtua Fighter, but I don't like any of the ones beyond Virtua Fighter 3. I think King of Fighters is terrible, honestly. I actually downloaded the demo to Skullgirls today, and it's very Marvel vs. Capcom 2-esque. I haven't played BlazBlue, but I intend on getting it when I get some extra money.

As for non-traditional fighting games, The Super Smash Bros. series, Power Stone (for Dreamcast) and the Dragonball Z Budokai and Dragonball Z Budokai Tenkaichi series are my favorites.

6. ShadowDragon

I love Blazblue.. I did really good with Rachel and Platinum.. It is very complex but once you learn all the basics and stuff it becomes a lot funner... I didnt like MVC games they werent as complex and advanced as other fighters.. oh and X Factor was broken.. I was never really into Dragon Ball Z same Naruto idk why... I get to Salty when I play SF... And im not very good at it.. Btw has anyone heard how SFxT is? I wanna get it...

7. Bolin

MvC 2 is complex. XD VERY complex. And broken. xD The third is a lot more user friendly. Also, I heard Street Fighter x Tekken got mostly positive reviews, but I'm mostly waiting out for Tekken x Street Fighter, since I'll feel more at home with that, I believe.

Also, I can't wait for Tekken Tag Tournament 2 coming out this fallllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jun Kazama makes her return to the Tekken franchise! <3

8. vyvance

SFxT is broken. So many bugs and infinite combos. Plus 12 characters locked on disk to later be sold as "dlc."

I enjoy Blazblue, but I would much rather Arksys make a new Guilty Gear than a new Blazblue.

9. trunks

Surely Street Fighter x Tekken is the one!

10. BudderMC

I play SC, but I haven't tried any since III. I also remember liking Capcom vs. SNK II (waaaay back when you could rent video games xD)

11. ShadowDragon

Ive never played Guilty Gear but ik there putting it on psn soon... Ill most definently get it.. One of the main reasons I dont like Marvel VS games is everyone uses the top tier characters and never really changes it up.. All about Sentinel or Storm or whoever... Tekken Tag 2 team looks so good! Idk if Tekken x Street Fighter will be good.. It doesnt seem right for Street fighter to be in Tekken.. What are they going to do about projectiles and some of the specials? It doesnt seem like it will flow well... As for SFxT that seems pretty greedy that they already have 12 chars on the disc and a game should not have bugs in final production or at least a lot of them... Doesnt sound like they put a lot of effort in the game or as much as they should of.. I haven't play much of the old fighters for obvious reasons xD

12. vyvance

Capcom self admitted that SFxT was a rushed product that they wanted to get over with as quick as possible, freeing them up to focus more on the new Darkstalkers.

On the topic of tiers, people will logically gravitate to the top tiers to increase their chances of winning. MvC2 is worse than most though, since the top 4-5 characters are way above the rest of the cast in strength.

When I am just playing casual matches online with friends I will use whoever, but I am guilty of counter-picking/being a tier-whore when I am at the arcade/local tournaments. Money on the line > not being a tier-whore.

Also @ShadowDragon: If you like Blazblue, you will like Guilty Gear. Blazblue borrows lots from Guilty Gear in both gameplay and character design.

I.E.
    [​IMG]

#12 vyvance, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  13. Bolin

Funny thing is: I can never use Sentinel. xD I don't know why. I'm a Storm whore, and she's in almost all of my main teams in 3 (I don't use her that much in 2). Besides, I've never competed in a tournament, but I do play with tier characters in arcades when fighting random people and such. Same with Tekken 6. xD

14. vyvance

Some Tag 2 footage for you Allegro.

[YOUTUBE]BvH3spYF9wk[/YOUTUBE]

15. Bolin

I'm downloading this right now. I played the Tekken Tag 2 Prologue that came with the Tekken Hybrid release, and I loved it. The first Tekken Tag is my favorite fighting game, like, ever. Hopefully this one tops the first becomes my new favorite.

---------- Post added 7th May 2012 at 03:20 PM ----------

Guilty Gear and BlazBlue are one of the few popular fighters I've actually never played, along with Killer Instinct.

Tekken games have projectiles (i.e., Alisa's head-bomb...thing..., the original Devil and Devil Jin with the lasers, Azazel's laser beams, "Devil" Jinpachi). I'm guessing the specials will look less cartoon-y than in Street Fighter since Tekken is much more realistic in terms of the way character models move (like, maybe Ryu and Ken's Shoryuuken will look more like Kazuya's Demon Uppercut, perhaps?).

Also, about SFxT, honestly, it's pretty low on my priority list. I know the Tekken characters have the four-button attack system like the normal games, but the inability to sidestep is painfully reminiscent of Tekkens 1 and 2 where the sidestepping/8-way run system hadn't been developed yet. At least 1 and 2 had the "infinite arenas" to make up for the lack of side movement, but Street Fighter is so closed in.

Another one that's pretty low on my priority list is Soul Calibur V. I don't really like the fact that literally all of my favorite characters don't appear in the game. Apparently, the "story" mode sucks also.

16. djt820

It's all about Tekken 3
    [​IMG]

17. Dauntless

Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't played a video game I liked in over 10 years, until I was introduced to Mortal Combat a few months back. Never played it before and I kicked ass. Now if only I knew how to play just about any other game out there.

18. ShadowDragon

So are any of you excited for Person 4 Areana! It looks sooo good.. I mean Ark System+Persona OST and Chars= Best Gamer ever!! Im pretty excited for it!! Idk I dont really like Tekken as much as other fighters... And yea if your in a tournament its ok to pick tier characters cause you playing for money.. But like online on unranked matches its ok to switch up a little bit... Soul Calibur 5 is really good! The story mode was pretty bad but really who plays fighters for stories (Except Blazblue that had a decent story). I dont think they ruined the game by getting rid of some character.. The only bad thing is they had 3 characters that were mimic characters.. The projectiles in Tekken 6 were not very spammable like it is in SF.. Oh and how is KOF? Ive never played the series before? Im contemplating wether I should get into the series or not..

19. Andane

Hell yeah I'm excited! =D I beat the game a few months back and just started watching the anime, which now has me itchin' for more Persona action :lol:

As for other fighting games, the only ones I really play are Dissidia Final Fantasy and Super Smash Bros. (If those count =P). Although, I have played Arcana Heart for the PS2 and thought it was rather fun, but it was at a friend's, so I don't own it.

20. vyvance

Persona 4 fighter footage

[YOUTUBE]HUb8PROacuE[/YOUTUBE]

KOF XIII is a great game. The netcode for it is terrible though.