1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downloading Streaming Video

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Katelynn, May 6, 2012.

1. Katelynn

Hi all!

Recently, I discovered a great site for making it possible to download Youtube videos to my HD, called videogetting.com. While it has worked great for me, Ive hit a couple snags - 1. it only lets me dl clips around 10 to 12 min in length & 2. It only works on Youtube videos, other streaming video such as video clips found on Bing or Google or other streaming video sites will not work with videogetting.com.

What Ive been doing with all these video clips (you may be wondering) is making concert video DVDs out of assempled clips. There are also amazing full-length concerts that are anywhere from 15 to 20 min long to 2 or more hours long on Youtube as well (there is a Roger Waters concert from last year that I really want!)....

What I was wondering is if anyone here on EC knows of a site where I can download the Youtube or other videos I want & save them to my HD without time or site constraints or if Im stuck with just videogetting.com. Any help would be much appreciated!

2. Phoenix91

Well I have used clip.dj which turns YouTube videos into mp3 or mp4. I dont know if this is what you are looking for. Hope it helps :slight_smile:

3. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If you have the Firefox browser, there's a great little addon called "DownloadHelper" that will do just what you need without going through some external website.

I know it works for YouTube (but don't know what others)...

4. BudderMC

I use a program that I've downloaded called DVDVideoSoft. It lets you download and convert a whole range of audio and video files. I personally only really use it for downloading clips off the Internet (or ripping the audio). It only works with YouTube though, as far as online content is concerned. It's all free though, so it might be worth a shot!

I've also come across a FireFox add-on (it might exist for other browsers too) called Ant Video Downloader, and it seems to work with other streaming videos (not just YouTube). Might be worth looking at as well.

5. Katelynn

Im giving the DownloadHelper a try in Firefox to see how that works out to begin with. If it works on a half hour clip, Ill give it a try with longer concerts!

6. Bolin

I've been using the DownloadHelper add-on for years now, and it's really excellent. The biggest streaming video I've downloaded was probably around 2 hours long, so it definitely works for lengthy clips and videos. They're also pretty quick to fix bugs and such. If you download a lot like me, it gets kinda annoying because after every 100 downloads, they'll ask you if you want to donate, haha. But I doubt you'll be downloading lengthy anime, so you shouldn't get that message too much. But all in all, it's a really good add-on. Probably my favorite on Firefox.

7. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can also vouch for DownloadHelper.
    It's invaluable, but they don't seem to think so. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Couple years ago, there was a batch-download program that worked for Youtube and a bunch of other sites, called "a-tube getter" It was freeware and you could input a whole bunch of URLs and it would capture the whole batch flawlessly and convert to whatever format you wanted.

But I switched to Mac, and it was a PC only program so I haven't really looked in depth for anything for Mac yet and mostly use the Download Helper Firefox add-on.

9. Katelynn

OK the DownloadHelper in Firefox worked great! Only issue now is that I cant get it to work in Windows DVD Maker (I prefer that program for making DVDs; straight-forward & simple) Ive tried to convert the video to an avi & an .mpeg now, but cant seem to get it to work...

10. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    DownloadHelper will grab it straight off YouTube so it'll be in in MPEG-4 format. I'm pretty sure DVD uses MPEG-2 (with a resolution of 640x480), so try converting to that.

11. Katelynn

OK I think I got it figured out. Using DownloadHelper in Firefox, I got the 35 min file (Rush live at Sarstock 2003), then dl'd it to my USB. Then I converted it to an mpeg file using avi to mpeg program on my desktop computer & then back onto my USB to burn the DVD in Windows DVD Maker. Hopefully this works! Thanks all for the help! :grin:

12. vyvance

Downloadhelper has built in conversion features. Just click the download and convert button if you don't wanna use multiple programs for the process.

13. ArcaneVerse

There is also Orbit downloader, it has a feature to download video files like you want. But if the Firefox addon is working for you i would stick with that.

14. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try RealPlayer from RealPlayer® - Free Video Player for Downloading AVI, MP4, FLV. It works with both IE and Chrome now. On the video you want, make sure you select the right quality and let it start to play for a few seconds. When you hover you mouse over the video, a button just atop of the video appears, which you click and it will start downloading. It works with 70% of the websites that serves streaming videos.

15. SlickyPants

Even though it's already mentioned, and you've already given it a try, DownloadHelper (for Firefox) works great.

Right on with Roger Waters too. I've been to his Dark Side of the Moon show, The Wall (2010) and I'm going to see the Wall again in a couple weeks. It was an amazing show and I've checked out some of the youtube concert edits with multiple camera angles. You may or may not have seen this but check out this clip from The Wall. It is from a show in London where David Gilmour made a guest appearance. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUYzQaCCt2o[/youtube]

I'm going to try to catch Rush this year too. Hopefully I have some spending money then.

16. adam88

Wow, nobody suggesting the FlashGot plugin for firefox. It's quick and works pretty good... I'll give download helper a try too, in case it's better.

17. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have heard of FlashGot but never used it (found DownloadHelper first & it did what I needed LOL)