1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any budding graphic design artists out there?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by -Michael-, May 22, 2012.

1. -Michael-

Sorry if there's a thread similar to this, i'd search but i've never been a fan of the EC search function haha.

So who's good at graphic design and alike.

I'm dabbling in website design at the mo' and it's slowly killing my brain cells.

It'd be nice to share tips and ideas. :slight_smile:

2. Jordash

I intend on going to a Tech type college to be a Pixel Artist for a video game company. Does that count? lol :slight_smile:

3. -Michael-

I imagine is would if i knew what is was haha

What does it entail?

4. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a graphic designer, i specialize in print production and motion graphics including 3d modelling and animations.

@Michael, you should check out World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) there are loads of tutorials, training and sample codes for free. if you are stuck how ever, you can always ask me. i also do web design for a living.

@Jordas, you have to be prepared to fork out a bit of cash for the right software. Those guys are pro and they use pro software, not the freebies you get on the net like gimp. they use things like photoshop, 3d studio max, maya, cinema 4d and a whole list of things. But as a student you will get huge discounts on the packages though the school.

5. -Michael-

Yeah I can set up and design a simple website. But it just takes so long because it's not something i do often.

I'm setting up a website at the mo, feel free to take it off my hands!! haha

6. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    what software do you use?

7. -Michael-

Dreamweaver.

8. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Which part do you have problems with? is it the coding or style sheets or which?

9. -Michael-

All of it really.

Don't get me wrong.

I can do it.
    I have to do it visual because my coding is about as good as my walking on water.

It's just so time consuming and get the graphics made and cropped to the right size.

I hate it so much lmao.

I might just get a template and see what I can do.

10. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well to come up with the look and feel of the site can always be time consuming. i know that all too well. You can look at some templates and see which one would be more suitable for the site you're doing. the net is full of templates. Then you just customize it a bit to fit the image of the site.

if I may ask, like what is the main subject of the site?

I myself don't use templates, i usually create a site from scratch.

if you want you can have a look at a site I've built for a company.

www.s5ph.cu.cc

11. -Michael-

See, I can do that no problem.

But it just takes hours.

I'll stick to a template for now haha.

12. BudderMC

I fiddle around with Photoshop (which reminds me, I've got a list of sigs waiting to be made...), though by no means am I a pro or anything. I do it for fun, when I'm bored, when I'm inspired, whatever.

13. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's how I learned Photoshop as well, well back then it was like Photoshop 5 LOL

14. Ridiculous

Oh oh I have a question.. is there any nice way to style the first word in CSS? I know there are the pseudoclasses :first-line and :first-letter, but I wanted to do the first word (first 3 words actually) and just resorted to surrounding them with a span and styling that.
    My very brief search seemed to suggest using javascript, but I didn't feel like getting too involved as it was a very small project.

It is beyond the point where I can actually change it, I'd just like to know for the future.

15. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you should check out World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). If it can be done, it should be there. But I think that function sin't yet in CSS3. So put them in a span. I myself haven't done that what you are asking. Either I make it the first letter which is common practise or the first word. Maybe you can edit the first word function to include 3 words instead of just one.

If you are using Dreamweaver, it should be easy as Dreamweaver has thousands of build in functions just for that and which can be customized as per user's preference or website preference. I'd rather advice you to use JavaScript as little as possible cause there are major rumours that Sun Microsystems is going to discontinue Java and Java script. If that is done, it won't be long before service providers (hosters) will disable JavaScript functions, plus JavaScript has a major flaw, if you use input boxes created by JavaScript, a hacker can insert a string of code in the box and when submitting it, force the servers to run the script, effectively giving them full access to your site. Have you looked maybe at a python script?

---------- Post added 23rd May 2012 at 12:38 PM ----------

Oh I found this on wc3, hopefully that is what you're looking for.

Selectors

---------- Post added 23rd May 2012 at 12:42 PM ----------

Sorry about this, but here is the best option for you.

Use Span class

So creat a class called bold and wrap first word in the class.

.bold {
    font-weight:bold;
    }
    Then

<h2><span class="bold">the</span> brown fox</h2>

So instead of spanning one word, you can span as many as you need, and not just necessarily just in the beginning.

16. ArcaneVerse

I know a fair bit about Photoshop and a bit of lightroom. Illustrator I want to learn more of but I'm way too lazy. I dont know anything about coding though, design is my expertise. I don't have the brain for coding, that my brother got.

Do you actually like Web design? as it doesn't sound like your enjoying having to do it?

17. Ridiculous

Yeah that's what I did resort to doing. I was just using a text editor by the way because I am cheap oldschool.

Also, Java and Javascript aren't really related in anything but name. I don't think either of them will be going anywhere any time soon, although Java for web applets is being pushed to the side somewhat (along with Flash) because of HTML5. Even if support was discontinued browsers would still continue to process it correctly simply because a great deal of the web would break if they didn't. And then of course you've got the situation with JScript, which makes it impossible for Oracle to just say "ok, we're not supporting this any more" because they aren't really in a position of control.

18. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah that's what I did resort to doing. I was just using a text editor by the way because I am cheap oldschool.

Also, Java and Javascript aren't really related in anything but name. I don't think either of them will be going anywhere any time soon, although Java for web applets is being pushed to the side somewhat (along with Flash) because of HTML5. Even if support was discontinued browsers would still continue to process it correctly simply because a great deal of the web would break if they didn't. And then of course you've got the situation with JScript, which makes it impossible for Oracle to just say "ok, we're not supporting this any more" because they aren't really in a position of control.[/QUOTE]

Actually Java and JavaScript is kinda like family. More Java is the mother and JavaScript is it's offspring, that never grows! JS is a web friendly version of Java.

And yeah html5 and css3 are making it obsolete as well as Android that is being put into more and more devices instead of Java. There are plenty of people that are redesigning their websites in favour of this. Also more and more people are weary of JS with all it's security problems. Now a days, JS is disabled by default on all new installations of operating systems. So chances that your website's JS would work on a visitor's computer has gone down from 98% to about 70% and still dropping fast apparently!

19. adam88

I'm a graphic designer. I work at a sign shop and do vector-cut vinyl, large-format digital print output and medium-format thermal output.

I'm also very well-versed in Photoshop and Illustrator (the latter due to vectors is crucial to sign design) and used to do some web stuff - no longer as I hated coding. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I can also (if I feel like dusting my skills off) do decent page/text layouts through Indesign (I was trained in Quark :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

20. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @adem88, I remember quark, then you should remember pagemaker pro, just before indesign came out LOL I don't like illustrator, i find the way to manipulate lines into curves a bit slow, if they have done it the way coreldraw did it, I would switch and immediately.

Oh and by the way, I also do signs, I worked at a sign shop for some time. Now I do it for my current work and part time LOL