1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soul Calibur

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Choucho, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Choucho

Alright, so my friend got a Wii a while ago, and he gave me his game cube. Along with it was Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (I shun it), Baten Kaitos (I've had to start over so many times it makes me cry every time I look at it), Pokemon Colosseum (Don't have enough room on my memory card to even start a new game), and Soul Calibur 2.
    Now, I received the game cube the day after Halloween. I don't know why, but I just never played Soul Calibur at all. The art on the front of the box is a bit lame, the screen shots on the back of the box is a pathetic show of what the game is capable off, and the instruction booklet is little better. I just told myself I'd play it someday, and ignored it for a while.
    I ended up playing it the day after Christmas. I've been sick for three weeks, and wasn't really in the mood to be out talking to everyone.
    Well, I can say that I was very impressed with the game once I finally played it. The characters are really unique and interesting, the moves look cool, the graphics are amazing. It's really fun, and it's the first fighting game I've played in a long time. Between boxing day and about two days ago, I unlocked every weapon and costume in the game, as well as all the special modes/extras etc. In other words everything. Well, almost. I haven't unlocked Lizardman yet, because I haven't completed every mission, and... well... I hate him.
    So anyway, through my process of loving this game, I was surprised to find out that every person I know has played it as a child. I had never even heard of it before.
    So! Back to the point of this topic...
    Who likes Soul Calibur? >.<
    I think Kilik is hot, in the costume with his yellow jacket with the fur collar... *dreams*

2. Alex89

I'm looking forward to Soul Caliber IV on Xbox 360 and PS3. The screenshots look amazing!

The 360 version yets Yoda as an exclusive character, and PS3 gets Darth Vader.

Generally, I'm more of a Dead or Alive person. =)

3. CrimsonThunder

The GC front cover version of SC2 was epic... IT HAS LINK ON IT.

And you'll find that you can download the other consoles exclusive character Alex. (it would be the smart thing to do)

4. Jerr

I have the playstation version where a character from Tekken was on it. (So prolly not spelling that right or his name.)

Hiachi? Sound it out... that isn't how you spell it but meh its close in sound. lol

I liked it a lot. I thought Ivy's weapon was a very interesting thing.

I really liked the story and I really never got into soul caliber 3. They changed some of the moves of the classic characters... once you play for so long knowing how to work a character and they completely alter their moves... it gets a bit confusing.

I'll probably purchase 4 for the PS3 because hell I beat my other 3 games for it and I need another. lol

5. Alex89

It's weird how there now seem to be only 4 (3D) fighting game franchises...Dead or Alive, Soul Caliber, Tekken and Virtua Fighter...

I wish Rare would hurry up and make Killer Instinct 3.

6. CrimsonThunder

What about Street Fighter. :O

7. Steam Giant

Soul Calibur has been on and off since Soul Edge (that was the first game, right?) I think they lost a lot of their fan base with Soul Calibur 2, as some of their revisions made the game completely unbalanced. They fixed a lot of these issues with Soul Calibur 3, and the create a fighter thing was totally sweet ^^ but I still feel that they rely too heavily on "they will play versus matches with their friends until the end of time" for their gameplay.

As far as the latest installment, I know nothing about it, and so cannot comment.

8. Choucho

Yeah, I've never really even heard of Dead Or Alive. o.o What about Mortal Kombat? That one is huge. And yes, Street Fighter. There's a new Street Fighter movie coming out, apparently it centers around Chun Li. I miss all those games... a Killer Instinct for PS2 would rule (I don't have a PS3, and don't really want to get one...)

9. Alex89

Street Fighter is 2D, remember? Lol. I meant 3D fighters. I forgot about Mortal Kombat. It's kind of just turned into an "endless sequels" franchise...

Choucho - Dead or Alive is Xbox (and 360) exclusive, so that's why you might not have heard of it. Same makers as Ninja Gaiden (the main character is a fighter is DOA!).

It's currently also the best-looking fighter out. The detail, costumes and animation are mind-blowing!

10. smartguy

i love dead or alive, but i have a ps2 so ive on played doa2:hardcore
    soul calibur 2 had to be the best, 3 was ok though.

im interested to see how number 4 comes out. darth vader and yoda are in it wtf lol

11. Skeleton

sorry guys and gals. but Tekken 2 Is the best fighting game EVER, FACT!

To say anything else is just fooling yourself.

But I'm sure the gfx are nice

12. smartguy

the game i had the most fun with was either tekken tag tournament or dead or alive 2 hardcore

13. CrimsonThunder

Ew, no. >_>

Greatest fighting game ever is Smash bros. :confused:

14. Skeleton

thats only because when Tekken 2 was released you were 8 years old :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    (just guessing)

15. smartguy

how could i forget this god of all games!

can't wait for brawl!

16. vinylsoda89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :thumbsup: you hit it on the nose.

17. CrimsonThunder

Amen sister!

18. Alex89

Official screenshots for Street Fighter 4 are out! =O And it's 3D cell-shaded with a weird parchment sort of style.

IGN has pics.

19. CorporalPie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Soul Cal on the gamecube was pretty sweet and Vader and Yoda being added in SC 4 seems Rly cool to me.

I'm pretty sure 1up.com has street fighter 4 pics & videos too, they did a special SF 4 preview just b4 chirstmas. The new style is kinda funky but I like it, it's something new and different.

20. Javi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ughh i love dead or alive im a fan of the game i have the original sega saturn that never came out in the US , which came from

Dead Or Alive Ultimate [ which comes with part 1 plus i more enhanced version of DOA 2 Hardcore which originally came out 4 ps2 alongggg time ago ]

n plus i have the original unenhanced PS2 version n DOA 3 & 4

im a big fighting game fan

as 4 soulcalibur i have [ Soulcalibur 1 that came out 4 dreamcast , plus all 3 versions of Soulcalibur [ PS2, Xbox & Gamecube ]

the onli one i dont have is Soulcalibur 3

dont get me started with StreetFighter i luv that game !! there are gameplay videos out right now of it [ i think its on 1UP.com ] im positive

and also Tekken im a big fan [ cant wait til Tekken 6 comes out ]

as for Mortal Kombat N Virtua Fighter [ those im not really a HUGE fan of but i like them ]