1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Else Have This Problem?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Mike92, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a MacBook Pro and I love it for the most part. But the problem I'm having is that it gets really hot. Like, if I leave it on my lap for a half hour or so it really overheats - even with a cooling pad. It gets pretty hot on other surfaces as well. When it gets hot, it runs slow as hell and I can't do anything until I re-start it. I've only had it for about four months.

So, I was wondering if anyone else owns a Mac and has experienced/is experiencing the same problem and if there's anything I can do to fix this? Any idea what the problem could be?

2. justchris

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've also got a Macbook Pro (2010 13" edition).

According to Apple and various support threads, as long as your Macbook Pro isn't shutting down while in use, it isn't close to overheating (The Official "My MacBook/Air/Pro is overheating, what do I do?" Guide. - Mac-Forums.com)

One of the reasons it gets so hot is because there is no fan/ventilation built into the body. And because the body is aluminum, that also tends to make things warmer than usual.

The only tips I would have would be to not rest it on your lap, on a carpet/rug (if you are on the floor), or on a blanket if you're using your Mac in bed. I was using a cooling pad as well (Targus brand), but I found it didn't really make a difference. Instead, I have a box fan that I keep pointed at the upper left side of my macbook pro (where I notice it gets the hottest) and that tends to keep things on the not-so-hot side. Also, if you are playing video games, maybe bite the bullet and lower some of your graphical settings.

3. davidroberts

i had the same problem . after some time it started switching off by itself while working. it was the problem with the cooling fan . i got it repaired and its working well :slight_smile:

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have the same problem. I use a cooling pad now and it has helped a lot. Mine never shut down... but it did burn my legs.

5. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks.

I probably will get it fixed, though I was hoping to avoid bringing it to Best Buy because they usually take forever.

6. starfish

Mine has always been like that. Sometimes I flip it over and use it as a make shift hibachi.

7. phliper12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    oh man... mine really burns up... i noticed today especially... wow.. even when it was in standby.

8. BudderMC

Technically, aluminum has a higher (I think?) thermal conductivity than a lot of metals, so that just means it transfers heat more quickly. It'll heat up quickly, then dissipate the heat quickly too once the source (the hot computer) is off.

...sorry, of the of the few cases something I learned in class is actually applicable to a real-world scenario (besides the one our TA posed to us: what metal would you like your chair to be made of if you were sitting in Hell? :eusa_doh:slight_smile:

9. adam88

Yeah, Macbook Pros get hot. I've got an older 2009 model, and even it gets pretty toasty in use. Depends what I'm doing though. Firefox: warm. Firefox+youtube: hot. Team Fortress 2 in Windows 7: scorching!