1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Tomb Raider even Tomb Raider anymore?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Gazza123, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I will admit.

The old ones had a learning curve and I'm only now enjoying them and love exploring aspect, puzzling solving, getting lost for ages parts of the game. I also found that Tomb Raider 1 - 5 and possible 6 since I still enjoyed it had a sense of reality mixed with the fantastic which I found entertaining.

Now don't get my wrong I enjoyed Legend, Anniversary and Underworld as a self contained story and I loved how bad ass Lara was in Underworld.

But from this new Tomb Raider (Of which they've rebooted the franchise) was it really needed. It doesn't even seem like Lara Croft anymore. Just a girl screaming, running around with bow who happens to be called Lara Croft as well. Now I know they going for the whole survival side of blah blah blah I want Tomb Raider. You know... Raiding Tombs and making impossible jumps, solving puzzles and all that.

With this latest installment it seems that it has been removed in favor a more cinematic "you sorta play the game but don't" moments.

Lara Croft needs her double pistols
    Needs her pony tail
    Needs her bad ass attitude

We know her back story somewhat so why erase it all in favor trying to make Tomb Raider yours ahem Crystal Dynamics ahem.

It just doesn't seem like Tomb Raider anymore. Maybe that's just me but this new Lara Croft, if you can call her that, isn't believable.

You can agree or disagree but the fact that Tomb Raider was sort of mish mash of reality and the fantastical made it great. I don't want all this wimping about, moaning and god knows what else.

I want my Lara Croft back and I will admit that Core, when it was around, did a much better job with Lara and the Tomb Raider franchise than CD could ever do. I want the games to be hard, I wanna be stuck for ages not knowing where to go, not for something highlight that tells me I must do something ahem CD ahem

Rant Over

Dancing Banana time (!)(!)(!!)(!!)(!)(!)(!!)(!)(!)

2. Just Passing

We are not going to know if the new Tomb Raider is going to be any good until it is released and people have played it, however I do admit that the second reboot is a little bit too soon into Crystal Dynamics' continuity. I enjoyed Legend and thought Anniversary was a decent enough remake, but I could not get into Underworld at all and I much prefer Core Design's games, even though they're full of flaws and their control schemes are pretty unlikeable.

That being said, I am in two minds about the new Tomb Raider. I think it looks good and it is a step in the right direction, but at the same time I doubt I can be asked with it. Tomb Raider was good once, but it is a very up and down series in quality and I have found its own "spiritual successor" Uncharted much more consistent and playable. Still, I wish all the best of luck for the new game.

3. Sakurasdream923

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a feeling the new Tomb Raider reeboot game is going to really make Lara very dependent and not the kick ass woman we loved when she first debuted on the PSX and Saturn in 1996. It just doesn't feel the same anymore.

4. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Yeah. I know.. Game companies seem to want to go for this "Realistic based" gaming where you really need to survive the elements and that. Sorry but if it gets to the point where they making games so realistic that you have make sure character takes a poop then I'm outta here.

Except for the Sims but then again that's the whole point of that game

5. Kraath

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I read an article on Jezibel today about it. They had an interesting experiment. Watch the trailer for it with your eyes closed. Doesnt it sound terrifying? Like a scared girl having scary things happen to her?

CD said something about how they want to make Lara vulnerable so the gamer feels like they have to protect her. They want to develop rapport between Lara and the player and give a traditionally 2D character some depth. But making her all silly and screaming and so....NOT Lara? It detracts from the overall experience, IMHO.

6. Addams13

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    if you like the old Tomb Raider then you should go to trle.net I just found out about it and love it. people make their own Tomb Raider games download games. my fav is
    Tomb Raider Mists of Avalon - First Clues

i did not make it i just love it

7. no matter how many tomb raiders there are or will be, nothing will ever compare to the first comp version where you locked the creepy butler in the freezer.