1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Omg Macbook Air!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Ty, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Ty

Ty Guest

2. Connor

Connor Guest

Oh my god! I hadn't even heard of this. It looks absolutely beautiful. I'd love one - if I want a laptop this'll definitely be the one I'll buy. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: When does it come out?

3. Ty

Ty Guest

Oooh actually i may not get one.... it doesnt have a cd/dvd drive :frowning2:

4. sdc91

I just saw it.

It looks like a business-oriented laptop.

I like my MacBook a LOT more than that. I NEED an optical drive, and I don't want to pay $1800+ for the cheap one or $3000+ for the other one. Plus it only has 1 USB port.

I think Apple screwed up. Then again, I'm not the target customer.

5. Ty

Ty Guest

Yeah, it has got quite a few faults, but its for a business market sooo.... Im going to be interested in seeing how well this does - I do hope we don't see another G4 cube....

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I can understand no optical drive if they are aiming to make it as light and portable as possible. For most business uses the drive isn't used that often (mainly for loading software). Only one USB port though - that is bad. You can't even use a USB optical drive and a USB mouse at the same time unless you use a USB hub.

It is obviously intended for people who travel regularly and want something light and very portable. If it has wireless, 3G and bluetooth built in, it would do well in that market. It's not a desktop replacement though, and not a multimedia machine.

It doesn't sound like a good choice for you guys.

7. Fiorino

Hmm, it's really nice but I think I can resist the urge to buy one. The no CD/DVD
    drive turns me off, and my MacBook(sans air) is just fine for the time being.
    Nice job Apple anyway :eusa_danc

8. Fiorino

Take that back about the optical drive- you can get a usb one (designed for
    the MacBook air) for 99$.

9. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

yeah i love my regular macbook, although i wish i kinda had waited and oculd have had the choice...you can get an external CD drive which isnt that inconvenient, especially since i dont even use CDs that often

10. Ty

Ty Guest

Hmmm nor do i to be honest.... But do you think that apple will update their regular laptop range? I have mixed feelings on the macbook air.

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/wireless.html look at the remote disk thingy, that looks interesting.

/Ty

11. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sure is thin! If you needed an ultra portable it'd be the way to go! I'm curious how good the LED lit LCD is.

From what I've seen the regular MacBook is very portable as it is. With the price / functionality, this it for the ultra-portable sorts.

I don't think it's worth the premium for what I do. 1 USB slot, no built in optical drive, only 80GB hard drive, no built in Ethernet, 1.6Ghz all for $1800 ($1900 in Canada)! By the time you add Ethernet and optical drive it's $2000. For the price of that you could get a Macbook Pro!

Of course you don't have to buy an external DVD drive, you can install "Remote Disc Setup software" on your Mac or PC. Yuck! The last thing I'd ever want to do would be install more Apple crapware. The Quicktime/iTunes duo are intrusive enough! though I think you could just go about the normal way of sharing the drive using Microsoft networking.

12. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Exactly. If you need the ultra-portability and lightness and can afford it (or your employer is paying) then it would be good. But for the same or less money you could get something bigger with better spec and more useful features that is better suited to your needs.

When buying a laptop (PC or Mac) you need to consider what you need or want it for, what features are essential, and what your budget is, then make your decision based on that. Otherwise you could end up with something that is new and cool, but not actually that useful for you.

13. Ty

Ty Guest

Well, regardless, I don't think I myself will get the Macbook Air. Although I'm a bit cautious of getting a new macbook - I'm positive Apple's just going to jump out with a brand new laptop and i'll be stuck with the old one -.-

What do you guys think?

14. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

With computers there is always a newer and better model released just after you buy one. Does it matter if it's last year's model, if it does the job and works OK?

15. sdc91

The first generation of the current MacBook model had serious issues with thermal paste melting and such. If anything, you should get the one now since it has all the problems fixed (plus it comes with Leopard and iLife '08 now, you can't go wrong; that's the only thing I regret since I bought mine on 7/7/7-- I'm stuck with Tiger and iLife '06).

16. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think there were any other big announcements on the notebook side during MacWorld, and they did do some mild refreshing after the release of Leopard (eg: now using X3100 video cards instead of the older crappier GMA960 in Macbooks).

If they do come out with something else I'm sure it would be incremental more than anything. So I don't think it'd be like being stuck with a new PPC iBook with the release of Intel Macbooks.

Besides if it's all great and shiny, and capable when you buy it, I don't see how suddenly you'd be 'stuck' with it. It still will be capable of everything it was when new. To continue from above, I know people with PPC iBooks that still use their machines no problem. Even though they aren't the latest and greatest from Apple.

17. tinkergeek

tinkergeek Guest

It also doesn't have audio input, an ethernet adapter, or a replaceable battery..

I like ultra-portables, a lot, but having to carry around a bug of accessories stinks more than carry just a regular Macbook. (I use standard ethernet drops a lot..)

Also, the hard disk is one of those fun little 1.8" doodads. While perfectly fine for a music player, OS X hates running on slow disks. If you look at the performance between a Mac Mini with its internal disk and when you boot it from a fast external disk, it's nearly three times as fast doing many simple operations (booting, open programs, Spotlight indexing, swapping if you run low on memory, etc). Of course, the speed problem can be helped by using the solid-state disk, but that adds an extra grand and there should be some concern about the longevity of such drives using Apple's standard file system.

So, I guess if one just does web browsing with Safari... or likes to travel for a few hours in style, man does Apple take the cake in the ultra-portable market now!

18. Alex89

This is type of laptop is known as "Ultra Portable Computer". It's not made to be your main PC or Mac, but something for business people to take to work everyday or on long trips for the purposes of internet and email, word processing and occasional basic media.

I reckon it's perfect for the market it's aimed at, but I personally prefer power over portability.

19. acorn7

It's very hot, and intended for rich people who already have a great main computer. So... not me :wink: Just like Apple's typical OMG new product, it's amazing, you have to compromise a lot, and it's expensive.

And by the way, the $3,000 version is mainly because it has a solid state drive, which is by itself $1,000 which is apparently a good price if you compare it to other vendors... you really gotta like speed to pay that kind of money for an hard drive. I suspect nearly everyone with stick with the 80 gig standard.

20. Urman

Urman Guest

Its going to be really expensive i want one thought