1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WoW

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by laras, Jul 3, 2012.

1. laras

Used to play a lot, then started crafting... then D3 came out... then got sick of games all together. Lost its novelty too me... but I have noticed when I log in it has for a lot of people. Anyone else stopped playing MMO/RPG's lately?

2. ArcaneVerse

wow went downhill with cata apparently, personally I didnt mind the start and firelands, it could have been better but it wasnt horrible but ds is pathetic. blizz has lost all its senses, nerf after nerf but still cant fix major bugs and glitches, not caring what people actually want from the game. Pandas should be interesting, raiding is actually supposed to be challenging this time round.

Never played starcraft, i honestly dont see the appeal.

D3, sigh. I have mixed feelings about this game. On the one hand it has amazing graphics, nice classes and at first is an amazing game decent story though fragmented its still enjoyable, but on the other hand its short, repetitive, limited in ability's and specs, the logging into the servers is annoying, the RMAH is a stupid idea...etc.

I think everyone was expecting more from it considering they have had 12 years to come up shit. Hopefully they release an awesome expansion real quick.

Honestly im bored of wow atm too, too much of a wait between Dragon soul and pandas and with all these ridiculous nerfs there isnt anything left to do, so no one is really online anymore.

Im waiting to see how pandas goes and if its that bad ill be looking for something new to play, which is a shame as i love the social aspect to wow. I may try Guild Wars 2, it looks interesting and a nice change from wow.

3. laras

D3 has no end game, and though I want good gear I am not willing to spend real money for it. I am also not willing to spend my gold on it. Good gear can drop, but you have to be lucky. Not like the old days in Wow on you knew what you needed to get from what boss and go after it. You may beat your head against the wall trying over and over to get it too drop to have it never drop for you. BUT I hate how the stats on D3 gear are RANDOM. How someone can have such better stats than you but their item level is the same. I play with a lot of real life friends... and they were willing to spend real money to get the "best gear"... and with no end game to challenge them... whats the point? Dont get me started on only 4 ppl being able to join your group. We have a group of about 15 real friends, 5 or 6 always playing (we have lan parties with that many people almost every weekend) and one or two always have to sit out. Sure they can start their own group but still, there is something fun about all completing something together.

4. ArcaneVerse

Yup couldnt agree more. Even though the random loot and stats and the no end game is just how diablo has always been its still really shitty. The whole crafting aspect is fricken useless. I can make 5+ of one item and every time i will only get a maximum of 1 with the stat i need (int) but it will be a shitty number like 12 where as the other 4+ items are high numbered dex or str. makes me rage soo much. so now i only get items from the ah(not real money though) which ruins a big aspect of the game. same deal with drops that you inspect, never anything i can actually use.

Blizz has honestly lost the plot it seems. money hungry douches. Hopefully they sort themselves out with pandas because they are loosing a lot of fans and with their new game coming out in the future (code name titan) they would be smart to keep people happy. Though from the rumors ive read about titan its going to piss off most hardcore and medium core gamers and is going to be full of money making systems like the RMAH.

5. vyvance

Never got into WoW, because I am primarily a pvp player and I hated the pvp in WoW. Excited for Guild Wars 2, but I have stopped playing mmos for the most part.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I had to stop myself from playing MMO or RPGs because I would get waaay too into them and waster tons of time. It really is a ridcs obsession of mine xD

If I was able to find a happy balance with it I would probably still play it though. The game might not be the same as always, but it just has something about it that I like.

7. Kyllani

I tried Rift last summer, but endgame just pissed me off. I still have fun with SWTOR, but I can't remember the last time I did anything involving PVE. Guild Wars 2...oh, don't even get me started on my woes with that game.

But Blizzard...ugh, I wish they'd wake up. Cata has been a horrendous expansion. LFR has turned the population into a bunch of incompetent, whining babies. The only reason I still play is because I took that deal they offered last year for a free copy of D3 and access to Pandas beta in return for paying for a year. I thought for sure I'd still want to play in a year. I didn't know stupid would take over. And D3...it was fun at first...it really satisfied the loot whore in me. But, it kind of lost its sparkle after the first 30 levels. My boyfriend tried to get me to play Starcraft, but I never really got into it.

8. Vernox

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If it weren't for EQ2, I'd probably be playing wow right now. I've been playing EQ2 since the release about 8 years ago.
    /NeedsALife

9. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Oh goodness, World of Warcraft. I gave five-and-a-half years of my life to that game. I started playing in the middle of vanilla WoW, right before the release of patch 1.7, and kept playing all the way through the release of Cataclysm. It's good to see that other people have negative opinions about that expansion pack, because I always worried I might be suffering from rose-tinted glasses.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the hell out of some of the solo quests in Cataclysm in the 80-85 range. Mount Hyjal, Deepholm, and the Twilight Highlands were extremely fun, but Uldum and Vashj'ir both had the problem of the quests not really seeming to flow together, and the ability to leave mid questline killed a lot of the suspense. But overall, I'm glad I kept playing to see those quests.

But at that point, I had given up on raiding and PvP, because I was tired of my success depending on the competence of other people. And Cataclysm's solo endgame? Abysmal. The same old tired design of daily quests for factions. The overworld revamp that had promised to revitalize the 1-60 range robbed the old world of its nuance and character, so I didn't find leveling alts as fun as I used to. Hell, Cataclysm robbed the game as a whole of its character and nuance. End-game wasn't fun because there just wasn't as much to do if you didn't want to do daily quests.

After a while, I just couldn't do it anymore. I realized that my attempts to keep myself interested in the game didn't stem from genuine interest but from the fact that I had been playing for so long and invested so much effort in the game that I didn't want to lose that. But it just wasn't fun anymore.

Some of my best memories of the game are from Burning Crusade's solo end-game. Ogri'la? Netherwing? Those were the days, my friends. I'll give credit where credit is due and say that the Frozen Halls (the uber-challenging 5-man dungeons released in the last patch of Wrath) were also generally pretty fun, albeit a nightmare without a good group. (That last one, though? The Halls of Reflection? That was just a nightmare no matter what. I finished it exactly once.) And though it wasn't as nuanced or satisfying as BC's solo endgame, Wrath had some decent solo endgame, too.

Yeah, that game was a lot of fun. Was. But with every expansion pack, the game lost some of its nuance, all in the name of "streamlining". I think Blizzard listened to the players too much; they just listened to the wrong players, the ones who don't realize what makes a game truly fun and just want their easy phat lewts. Some changes were wise, but on the whole, it just got worse.

I don't really miss the game much these days. What I miss was being part of WoW's online community. While the in-game community left a lot to be desired, the online community, especially in the blogosphere, was a hell of a lot of fun to be a part of. I even wrote a WoW-based blog for a year-and-a-half, and the sense of belonging to that larger community, the community of WoW bloggers, is probably what kept me interested in the game for so long.

I don't begrudge the years I spent on that game. Writing that blog made me a much better writer because of the practice it gave me, and it gave me a sense of purpose during one of the darker years of my life. And I did end up learning a lot of lessons from the game too numerous to list here. It's just a shame Blizzard slowly killed their creation.

I think I'm done rambling for now. :slight_smile:

10. Andane

Well, I've played WoW for about 2 years now, although there were a few times where I'd quit for a few months then start again. Overall, I thought it was a good MMO and I enjoyed it. And I actually didn't think cata was that bad for the most part, but then again, I never played during BC or vanilla. I stopped playing again though since I pre-ordered Guild Wars 2 and I DEFINITELY don't have time for TWO mmo's. Plus, you know, it doesn't have a monthly fee. Although I still like WoW, I just wanted to try something new, and GW2 seemed really interesting. Depending on how much I like it I might switch over completely.

But overall, yeah, I enjoy MMO's (even though sometimes I get carried away and put too much time into them). But I really only got into them because some of my friends played them, and that's the main reason I continue playing them. It's not as fun alone, that's why I'd stop playing WoW if my friends were busy or ran out of subscription time, it just wasn't as fun.

11. laras

Also gave 5 and a half years, I fell out of the social aspect of it though because I started playing with real life friends, so when we were top of our class and done all the end game and everything became too easy... they started playing other games. Bored games, card games and such... so I followed... when i got bored of that tried to play WoW again... not the same... not the same at all.

12. turtlestyle

turtlestyle Guest

I don't think I could enjoy wow if I wasn't playing with irl friends anymore. Although playing with the guy I was (and still am a little) crushing hard on could be a slight reason for that.

13. Ally

Ally Guest

I have been WoW-free for a couple of years now.
    I quit right before Cataclysm.
    Burning Crusade did me in.
    I miss it. But I don't miss it.
    Okay, but gosh do I miss it.
    I'm sure you all get that.

I will never play again because I'm a grown ass woman and I have a real job that I cant call out sick to because I'm raiding (oh, the good old days).

However, I still approach a keyboard like I'm about to start playing.
    Every. Single. Time.

---------- Post added 12th Jul 2012 at 05:53 PM ----------

oh gosh i think i completely blocked out WotLK.
    It was a dark, dark time. :slight_smile: