1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car Amp Question

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by vyvance, Jul 4, 2012.

1. vyvance

A week or two ago the battery in my '01 Mustang kept dying even after I went and got a new one, so I did some testing and was able to trace the problem back to one of the two amps in my car that was continuing to draw power ever after the car had been turned off. I opened it up to take a look and saw a quarter sized section burnt black on the board, and all the resistors in that section toasted so bad you couldn't even tell what ohms they were rated for anymore. So I figure it will be more trouble than it's worth to fix it, since I don't know what went wrong to fry the resistors for starters, and am just looking at getting a new one.

The problem is that I don't really know anything about amps, so I'm not 100% sure on what I need to get. I can probably find a used replacement for it, but should I just replace them both with new ones since one of the two has given out already? If so, what kinds of things am I looking for in the replacements? Do I just need to find one with the same voltage, or is there more to it than that?

2. MathMan

one of my previous one's burnt out on me. turns out my ground wire in my trunk was solid. I had to scrape the paint at the contact point with a file. also, I have a capacitor to help with the battery problem.

3. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two amps running of a single battery are bound to give you some problems. Put in a second battery and run additional charge wires to that as well. Make sure you install fuses with every wire you connect up to the amp, no matt which wire it is. Sometimes static electricity can jump from your speakers through to your amp. This is one of the reasons car audio systems have two fuses.

Also make sure the audio output on you car radio matches that of the input of the amps. If the car audio output is higher than the amp input, the radio can also be your culprit. To do a proper audio system installation there are far more variables that you must look at than just the speakers, amps and radio. It is advisable to buy the same amp as your speakers and radio (manufacture wise).