1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My laptop is hot! :(

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BudderMC, Jul 7, 2012.

1. BudderMC

First off, I've owned this laptop for... almost 2 years now. And it's always been really loud and hot, while gaming (or running other resource-heavy programs, like Autodesk Inventor).

Recently, I've been noticing that it while not getting much hotter than usual, seems to be getting that hot with less intensive programs. This morning, my fan is blazing because I'm running Firefox. I'm almost certain that can't be good.

Anyone got ideas on what I can do to help cool it off? I can't really take it in to get checked up until after the summer since both of my courses have all their assignments online and weekly.

Note: GameBooster apparently tells me the temperature of the CPU, and right now it's hovering between 80-90 deg C. :eek:

2. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay well your computer cools itself off by drawing in air from the outside and running it over heat intensive parts. The problem begins when dust and other such things start to attach to the vents and the fans impeding airflow.

You can hear the fans so that means they're working, great! Which means your problem is more than likely dust. A quick fix would be to buy a can of compressed air and blow it into the vents at the bottom of your laptop. Don't worry about breaking anything in the computer because that's not going to happen unless you start jamming the straw bit on the can in there.

Laptops usually run hotter than desktops, so 70+ isn't uncommon. 80-90 is the danger range and 89-95 is where computers start taking knee-jerk measures to protect themselves like shutting themselves down. So if your computer ever just shuts off for 'no reason' then it probably did so because it got too hot.

Hope I helped ^,^ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

3. BudderMC

^ definitely helped, thanks! I'll have to see if I can find a place within walking distance that sells the cans.

And I guess it's good to know that it's not too unreasonably hot. It's definitely shut itself down a couple times over the past year. Good to know there's a relative fix though. Again, thanks! :grin:

4. turtlestyle

turtlestyle Guest

Maybe get a laptop cooling pad as well? Might help a little.

Although I've never used one myself as I'm primarily a desktop user so can't vouch for their performance,

5. Night Rain

Although I don't recommend it, and it depends on what model of laptops you have, you can take apart (not as bad as it sounds) yours and clean the dust.

My mother have a Dell 1525 and it used to be very hot, until one day I decided to open it, I saw a layer of dust which I initially thought that it was some kind of filter cloth. It fell apart in my hand when I tried to put it back. That was when I realized it was dust. Needless to say, her laptop runs much cooler now.

6. BudderMC

MY GOD, MY LAPTOP IS SO SILENT NOW!

Thank you so much Fugs! (and everyone else)

:grin: :grin:

EDIT: I'd like to note the remarkable difference between running Firefox and it blazing at 89 C, vs. now when I can run Diablo and it's not even hitting 60 C. <_<

#6 BudderMC, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I may need to think the same right now because I notice that sometimes when running a potion on Pottermore even, the fan goes overdrive. Though I don't have anything that tells me the computer temperature. Budder, was it a Macbook App or :S

8. BudderMC

^ it's called GameBooster, basically just shuts down unnecessary processes and stuff to speed up your comp (for gaming, I suppose), but a recent update also lists the temperature of the CPU, harddrive, and one other thing that I can't remember. I have a PC, and I'm not sure if it's for Macs or not, sorry :/

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I didn't find anything like it...

10. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Core Temp

Coretemp is a really good one I like to use. You can even set it to run a program when it reaches a certain temp. (Mine lowers battery settings so the CPU cools down quickly) There are others, that's just one I use.

@echo off
    C:\Windows\System32\powercfg.exe -setactive Low power setting
    echo %date% %time% >>log.txt
    timeout /t 30 /nobreak
    C:\Windows\System32\powercfg.exe -setactive Normal power setting

^ If anyone's interested, it keeps a log whenever it activates so you can keep track of it.

#10 Fugs, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  11. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would recommend to do a computer clean up. Clear your browser history, cookies etc. Just remember, you going to have to remember the passwords for site if you let your browser remember your passwords.

Also go to programmes in the control panel. That list there, see which of the programs you no longer use, and uninstall them. If there are too many software that starts up with your computer, you must check the settings, only allow those you really use often to startup, the rest is wasting system resources and making your system slower and hotter. Make sure you don't have too much data on your laptop drive. Also make sure your case is atleast the same size as the memory installed on your system. If not make it the same size or to the maximum of 3 times the size of installed memory.

12. Thelmarin

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks so much guys for suggesting lot of ways to prevent my laptop from getting heated inside . I am sure that I am gonna apply one of these tactics so that it remains cool and in good condition. But is this problem arise by the user or automatically!

13. Naren

If you really think your laptop is hot, may I remind you that you are a living being and it is not; so take a long break from using it, that might break the attraction.

Har har har

14. amigay

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    spray compressed air in vents?