1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HoH sign-to-speech gloves

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by solarcat, Jul 9, 2012.

1. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hey, look, science!

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is beyond awesome! Awesome that someone would dream up the technology to do it, and then to implement it.

One question, though: My understanding is that the grammar and structure of ASL is radically different, and rather reductionist compared to written or spoken English. I wonder if the translation is literal or attempts to interpret the reductionist language into full sentences? That would be even more awesome if possible :slight_smile:

3. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

Wow this is really cool.

Chip: Yeah ASL is radically different. Some things that are signed can't even be written into English because signs are not words, they're concepts. It might be difficult to get the concepts of some of the more complex signs across with this technology, but it is still really amazing and I'm sure will be able to translate something, at least the basics. Hey this is a start in the right direction.

Good job, tech people. :grin:

4. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's awesome, I've read about new surfaces that can use the electricity in your skin to tell which body parts/fingers you're placing on them and in what shape they're in. Maybe one day we can forgo the gloves and use a technology like that in the form of a pad or something.

5. BudderMC

That's absolutely amazing. Especially considering it'll be affordable for the common person too, if it gets implemented.