1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I remove windows 7 and install elementary os??

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BajanBoy13, Jul 15, 2012.

1. BajanBoy13

I have no idea what to do,when I try to dual boot elementary OS it doesn't work so I was thinking that I could probably just remove windows because most of the things I do are on an online server (google play music).

What should I do?

2. vyvance

If your pc is powerful enough to effectively handle it, you could try virtual pc for one of the two os.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know what Elementary OS is, but this sounds like a question better addressed to a computer forum. What do you mean doesn't work? Does the BIOS say no operating system is present? Is Elementary OS not booting? Does Windows 7 not appear in your boot loader list of operating systems?

4. BajanBoy13

Like it doesn't give me an option to dual boot.

5. Jeff

I like windows myself. I would try and make it work for you. I'm using XPpro on three computers. That version of OS gets along with my cameras, scanners, and editing sw the best. So I'm stuck with it for now.

6. vyvance

Have you tried pressing F8 when booting PC?

7. SunSparks

Elementary OS is linux based from the looks of it? I assume you know that you must have a dedicated partition for each OS. You haven't mentioned that you have partitioned your HDD but if you want to know how to, here is a link to the MS Technet site for instructions. Then try installing Elementary OS on the NEW partition.

8. Naren

If it's a desktop, try installing a slave/secondary hard disk and booting from that? Never heard of Elementary though...

9. Adamant715

Adamant715 Guest

Have you installed it correctly? I am currently using eOS myself and following this guide helped a lot.

10. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The biggest mistake most people do when deciding on duel boot system, is that they pick any OS selection software out there, without finding out whether it will work with your current system or not. Most of the duel boot software want to be installed before any OS is installed, so that you can configure, which drive for which OS to make the duel boot as painless as possible.

In case of Win7 well, it depends on which version you have, the Ultimate version won't complain at all, since it was build for that anyway, but like the pro and home and basic and what ever MS though up, will have a slight problem. In this case, rather wipe the date from your OS drives, install the duel boot software first and then install the other OSes you would want on it.

The thing is some Duel boot selector software wants to be installed first before any other OS's, while some will be happy to be installed after the primary OS was installed. Also most of the duel boot selection software, wants to have the different OS's installed on their own drives each, which means, 1 drive for Win, and one drive for the other OS.

You can make your single drive a 2 partitions, which is also OK for most OS selectors.