1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

more iTunes issues...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by kizza111, Jul 20, 2012.

1. kizza111

I think this is my third apple related tech issue question..? So much for ease of use!

Here's the problem : I was told by an apple representative that if my time capsule broke and i lost my films, i would be able to redownload them from my purchased list. To test the accuracy of this claim i deleted one film from iTunes, surprise surprise, there's no way to download it. I have a time machine back-up of my mac that if I revert to, would give me my film back. The problem with that is that I haven't backed up recently enough, so if i reverted, I would lose the newest film I've bought, thereby creating a new, almost exactly the same problem.

My idea for a solution is to put the newer film onto a USB stick, then revert to my mac's old time machine status, and then plug in the USB and drag the new film into my iTunes library.

Does anyone know if this solution will work, or know any better ways to get around this, or even why I'm not able to re-download my film when they said I would be able to?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

P.S I know apple could give it back to me with my receipt - but they said if they do that i may not be able to get multiple films back in the future if i lost them, so id rather save this apple return exception for a more dire circumstance.

2. kizza111

Anyone..? Please? I'd really like to get this solved asap.

3. SunSparks

I don't think I will be able to help much with this because I don't use Macs and therefore time capsule... but from my experience with itunes, you should absolutely be able ro re download the movie file. I recommend that you view this help page under the part that says "To download previously purchased apps, books, music, movies, or TV shows to your computer" since its much easier for you to understand with pictures rather than me just explaining it to you.

I hope this helps...

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I haven't used Time Machine very extensively, but when I plug in the external hard drive that I'm using for it, I can go right into the back-up and pull out whatever files I want to. Specifically, I plug in my external and double click its icon, then I go through the following path:

Backups.backupdb -> [my coputer's name] -> Latest [or whatever date you want] -> Macintosh HD -> Users -> [my username on my laptop]

From there, I can browse the files on my hard drive at the time of the backup without needing to revert back to one of the backups. If you do the same thing, you should be able to find that movie and pull it off the hard drive and back onto your computer. To get to my movies that I have in iTunes, from the above screen, I follow the following path:

Music -> iTunes -> iTunes Music -> Movies

And there they are.

Hope that helps.

5. kizza111

This would've been brilliant. I just had a look at this and from the looks of it, it would work! (!). However, due to an odd coincidence i now solved it myself anyway... See my next reply to see how (as i will quote the other response).

---------- Post added 21st Jul 2012 at 08:48 PM ----------

The system in the US for re-downloading is a lot different to here in the UK. Your films and tv shows are stored in the cloud, whereas in the UK, only tv shows are. If you have an apple tv this would be a better analogy if you don't understand : you couldn't stream a film directly from the cloud in the uk, it would have to be played via airplay.

However, coincidentally, just as my problem arises, apple releases this download feature in the UK. So now everything I said above doesn't apply and I've simply gone into my purchased list and re-downloaded it!

So yeah, 2 great replies, but it just so happens that apple managed to fix it for me without trying ^_^. Thanks for the help!