1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transferring a Number?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Kerze, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I just got a smart phone and I love it, the only problem is the number. I really want to keep my old phone number because, without going into too much detail, I'm a little crazy, and it was all made up of palindromes, which I liked and found reassuring (as I said, crazy). My new number is on contract and my old was on pay as you go, they're on different networks. The new phone also as a micro sim.

Tl:dr - Is there any way I can keep my old number on my new phone/contract?

2. SunSparks

Even if your old number was on a different network, they should be able to transfer the number over. Just contact your current network provider... although you probably should have asked before you got a new number... but just ask them and they should be able to do it. I had it done when I moved from Verizon to AT&T... phone numbers are by local phone serving centers... not by carriers... like my area got so full that we now have two area codes for the same region. I don't think my post is of much help... so sorry :frowning2:

3. Katelynn

You can, indeed, keep your old number, but you need to contact your old provider as soon as you can to request that the number be 'ported' over to your new carrier. I used to work for TMobile & this was a very common request. Typically it takes about 2 to 48 hours for the number to port over, but in my experience, it doesnt even take 2 hours, usually it happens quicker than that. If you wait too long to call tho, you may be out of luck, as after a period of time, your old number will get reassigned, so be sure to contact them as soon as you can. If it's been longer than 30 days tho since its about that long that the # gets held in reserve. :slight_smile:

4. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your help guys, I need to wait for my mum (her name is on the contract because she's paying for it) to get home to do it, apparently, but I'll do it then.

You were both really helpful though, I must have spent an hour googling this and every answer was so much more convoluted and confusing than 'phone them and they'll do it'. I'm so derpy about anything more technologically advance than a games consol.