1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NASA's Curiosity rover lands in one hour!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by prism, Aug 5, 2012.

1. prism

Less than an hour until NASA's Curiosity rover lands on Mars. Be sure to watch at 1:31AM (Eastern Standard Time) as Curiosity transmits live (with a 14 minute transmission delay)!

LIVE STREAM FROM NASA

I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in this, but I thought I would share it anyway. I am a huge astronomy and space technology enthusiast. This is a historic moment that will shed light on Mars and investigate the possibility of any existing or past life (probably bacterial).

Enjoy! Tell me if you decide to tune in. :slight_smile:

2. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seems I'm perpetually late to the party... it already landed.

I am beyond excited that it actually went perfectly, though. Especially since the whole sky-crane idea, apart from being outrageously awesome, was one of the most complicated landing procedures ever attempted.

Now... time for SCIENCE!!!

These are pretty interesting times for astronomy enthousiasts. Despite the fact that it'll take 2 years, I'm already getting excited to see the first new data on Ceres and Pluto in 2015.

3. Bobbgooduk

Bobbgooduk Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember vividly watching the first landing on the moon. Everyone was glued to the TV in open-mouthed awe.

It's all become so every-day now with the space-station and all, but I still haven't lost my fascination for it all.

About 10 years ago, I went to an IMAX theatre and watched a 3-D film of them building the International Space Station. Wow - I loved that - seeing the jelly beans floating towards me and the droplets of water floating into someone's mouth.

Mars seems the logical progression and I still have not lost my enthusiasm for space exploration.

With this though, is a touch of regret:

When I look and see what human-kind is capable of doing when we put our collective mind to it, it saddens me when I see that we can't even get along together very well sometimes. Having taught many Sikh children in London, I know how throroughly decent and hard-working most of their families are, how unconfrontational and peace-loving. I was very sad to hear of the attack on the gurdwara in Wisconsin. The sad thing is, that senseless killings like this happen all over the world with frightening frequency, based on misinformation, ignorance, bigotry and intolerance.

And yet we can fly to Mars and explore.

Go Curiosity! Go!(!)

4. Dalmatian

I couldn't take the smile from my face the whole time as I waited for the landing; also, I don't think any movie, book, anything ever made (although I love literature) can build up as much suspense in me as that seven minutes and the readouts all the way through. In the end, I almost cried myself when I saw the NASA people crying, even though I kept thinking "why am I so excited? It's old news on Mars anyway" :slight_smile:

@Bobbgooduk
    I read one of the comments on twitter saying something like "There, we spend so much money on space exploration and on Earth children are dying". And I thought, truly, that's so sad.. there's a whole universe to explore and we keep on killing each other.

5. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love the fact that we can send these scientific rovers and all that, but what happened to the mission to put people on Mars? But since the Obama administration took over the White House, it seemed that NASA's goals were forced to change, why to save money?

You know I once read a book called Titan, and what the author predicted is actually all coming true. The author predicted that NASA's goal will change with a conservative president and that they will have less and less to do with anything that's space exploration side, instead they slowly militarised NASA until it did not exist any more.

6. prism

I wasn't surprised. Obama was dealt a bad hand and he was forced to make cuts. It's a shame that science had to suffer for it, but I still think we're headed in a great direction. It has forced the U.S. to collaborate more with Russian and Chinese space agencies. The U.S. is using Russia's Soyuz spacecraft to shuttle astronauts to and from the International Space Station, and it has recently used commercial spacecraft from SpaceX to deliver cargo. I believe that NASA will be forced to rely more on the private sector and foreign investments to fund future projects (like the Mars Science Laboratory Project). I think companies like SpaceX and Boeing are paving a bright future for American space exploration. Personal profit is a great motivator for technological progress. ;P