1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions For PC Games?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ShadowDragon, Aug 7, 2012.

1. ShadowDragon

Im brand new in the world of pc gaming. I just need some suggestions for some pc games. I really like RPG's, MMO's (Preferably if there action based), Horror, or simulation games. Much appreciated.

2. Shevanel

Amnesia
    Skyrim + Mods
    The STALKER series
    Terraria
    The Binding of Isaac
    Crysis because of graphics :3
    Dead Space series
    Legend of Grimrock
    Metro 2033
    VVVVVV
    Portal series
    Half Life Series
    Limbo
    Arma 2
    The Witcher 2

F2P- Tribes Ascend, Blacklight Retribution, TF2, Realm of the Mad God...

3. house of dead, i know its suuuper old but i still love it.
    oh and doom!

and jazz jackrabbit.
    its super old and not horror but its still good :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

wow im stuck in the 90s D:

4. CTJ

CTJ

I know its not RPG or MMO but i have to recommend Civilization 3-5, these are the best pc games ive ever played. I have literately lost entire days without realising to these games. I can start at 7-8 in the morning and easily go until midnight.

5. BudderMC

Haha, that is a good one to play xD

I could give you a whole list of (free, I'm cheap) MMOs, but most of them aren't great to be honest. If you want an action-MMO, I personally liked Vindictus. On the same boat, Guild Wars 2 comes out end of August and is supposed to be great. Diablo 3's pretty good too.

Shevanel said Terraria, I say Minecraft, they're both similar (from what I see) sandbox/creative-type games. One's 2D and the other is 3D. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Team Fortress 2 is great if you want a shooter.

And finally, League of Legends is an MMO, but more uh.. strategy-based I guess. It's certainly unique/interesting gameplay. Seems to be a love-it or hate-it kinda deal. Worth a try.

6. thylvin

thylvin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it depends mostly about your taste.

For example if you like fantasy/adventure I recommend these:
    Kingdom of Amular, the Reckoning
    A fairytale adventure central around a guy/girl who died and came back to life, free from fate to take revenge on his/her murderer.

Skyrim: with all expansions and user customization
    A fantasy adventure tale of dragons coming back to life with a nice twist

Diablo III: will all expansions and user customizations
    A fantasy adventure game based on the daemon Diablo (I would recommend you play first Diablo 2 before you start with 3 as 3 is quite short

If your taste runs more into sci-fi/Adventure/Horror I can recommend these
    Half Life - All games in the series
    A sci-fi adventure tale about greedy company execs who send you a test sample, after which a gateway was opened to another world. The series continue with more corporate greed and how you brought about it's fall.

DeadSpace all series
    A sci-fi horror story about some very bad alien organism which takes any organic organism and mutate it to viscous monsters who try to destroy the entire human species

Ok I've just list two possible genre's so it really depends on what you like, or the game we would suggest isn't enjoyable for you.

7. LSunday

I dfinitely have to agree with Amnesia from earlier. Its an amazing horror game, wiht FPS-like controls. There's no combat, though, and it's not the longest game ever made, but it's certainly worth your time.

Plus, if you're looking for a free and effective laxative...

8. Night Rain

It's Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning.
    It loads amazingly fast on my crappy laptop, and it looks really awesome. The voice acting is really bad though.

9. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Binding of Isaac is really great and has so much replayability it's insane.

Bastion is astoundingly beautiful and has a narration gimmick that makes it very unique and memorable.

I really really enjoy Recettear, in which you run an item shop in a stereotypical JRPG world, with all sorts of buying, trading, and haggling to go with it. It's way more fun than it sounds and the humor in it is really great as well.

If you want horror, definitely try out Amnesia: The Dark Descent I bought it but haven't had a chance to play it yet, partly because I am terrible with horror games. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yume Nikki is free, and can be pretty enjoyable if you want a pseudo-horror game that can play with your mind a bit.

In terms of MMOs, the only ones I've been able to stick with and come back to time after time are Mabinogi and Vindictus, which are actually related storyline-wise. Vindictus can be enjoyed completely free, since most things to pay for are cosmetic, but when playing Mabinogi, it's practically a necessity to plunk down $30 unless you think you can master the complex combat system immediately and don't mind travelling between towns to be exponentially slower.

10. Hawthorne

WAIT WAIT WAIT, Jazz Jackrabbit I used to play that Oh! what I would give for that again,

back on topic I play League of legends, Minecraft, Fallout 3, Borderlands, Terraria, Metro2033 "Russian boy dies fast" and some others but I cannot remember.

11. enenigmaffx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
  12. GreenRaven

personally i play Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft, tho wow gets expensive if you buy all of them XD (i got diablo free through an annual subscription to wow...yeah i'm addicted to wow <.<)

13. Vesper

If you like or otherwise don't mind life simulation games, The Sims 3 is a lot of fun once you get into it; it's a great way to exercise your creative muscle. You can spend all your time designing and building homes, or creating Sims, or playing them through the generations, or taking on challenges, or making stories with custom-designed characters, or doing a little bit of everything. Be warned, though, as the expansion packs and stuff packs are quite expensive (EPs are $30 to $40 a pop, and Stuff Packs are $20 a pop) but, of course, they're optional. If you should choose to play Sims 3, wish to buy EPs and/or Stuff Packs, and don't mind waiting a bit, you can probably get some of the earlier EPs in bundles for much less than it would cost to buy each of them separately.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is an RPG that has been highly recommended my friend (who happens to be quite an avid gamer, so I trust her opinion). I haven't played it yet, but since you're into RPGs, you might want to check that out.

MapleStory is another MMO, but it's free to download (although some items require real money to purchase, of course). The design of the world and its characters is heavily influenced by anime and very cartoonish, though, so if you mind that, then skip MapleStory.

#13 Vesper, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  14. armsoutfarther

Here are some of my favorites:

Fallout 3: This is one of my top favorites. It's set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland and it's a great game.

Bioshock: Set in 1960. Great story, music, plot... I love it.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent: I seriously almost had a heart attack playing this one. It's fine until you get to a certain part in the game.

Left 4 Dead: Good ol' zombie game. Actually a pretty good game with single and multiplayer mode.

Fallout: New Vegas: Set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland in Nevada.

Portal (and Portal 2): A game where you use portals to get around. The first one has many puzzles in it until you reach a part of the game and the second one is great :slight_smile:

That's all I have right now! Oh, and you can buy them all on Steam, which is great. And they're not that expensive too.

15. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I would also recommend Maplestory, Recettear, and Bastion.

Probably not quite what you're looking for, but Heroes of Might and Magic III is an excellent strategy game. There are more recent games in the series (it was released in 1999); however, they're not quite as good.

Dwarf Fortress is another simulation/city-building game that also has a more RPG-like adventurer mode. Both modes are sandboxes with even less direction than Minecraft, so if you like that kind of freedom, it's definitely worth checking out.

16. matteos88

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can give you a few examples:

- Dragon Age: Origins - surprised nobody really mentioned it, it is one of the best around. But avoid the 2, that one is bad.
    It is a epic-fantasy-RPG, single player, tactical (meaning you start combat paused, you move your party around, unpause and continue from there)
    Good graphics, great gameplay, very nice soundtracks and great story. 9/10

- Mass Effect - This series of 3 is set in our universe in year 2100s. Sci-Fi RPG, 3rd person shooter, tactical like the previous one.
    You will play Commander Shepard in his adventures across the galaxy.
    Pretty decent graphics, combat is not its strong point, musics are amazing. But the story is all around fantastic, you will remember the characters for a LONG time. 9/10
    This one and the previous are developed by Bioware

- Elder Scrolls series - This is another great series of fantasy RPG, first person and third.
    Pretty standard RPG with its quests and storyline, but it's biggest sellout is exploration. You will be immersed in this world like none other. The games are a bit buggy at times, it has a big modding community that fix most of them.
    The most recent one is Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Followed by IV: Oblivion and III: Morrowind. I did not play the first two though.
    If you do not like exploring though, it might get boring pretty quickly. I spent about 200 hours in each. The only issue I have with Skyrim is exactly that, it has a good gameplay but it becomes shallow too quickly. Great game though and worth a try.
    Developed by Zenimax and published by Bethesda, musics by Jeremy Soule (fantastic!) 8/10

- Thief series - This is a different kind of series, RPG but concentrated on stealth. The world is set in a steampunky world where you will be playing the role of a thief.
    It is a bit dated and indeed the graphics are not today's standard.
    Nice gameplay though.7/10

MMO's

- Rift - One of the few I have tried. The standard fantasy-RPG make your hero. You will be playing the role of an Ascended, a person who gets resurrected to save the world. It was mentioned this was a carbon copy of World of Warcraft but with better graphics, I can't say as I never played it, but it is a nice game. Requires subscription though, last time I check it was around £15 / $20 a month. Dev & Published by Trion Worlds. 7/10

- Guild Wars / 2 - The second in the series will be out next week and I can say it is awesome (played the beta). Great graphics, great gameplay, great music (by Jeremy Soul again).
    It is fantasy-RPG very lore-heavy but very much fun. It features some revolutionary changes in the world of MMO's like getting rid of the so called Holy Trinity, Healer, Tank & Damage Dealer roles each player must choose and support each other.
    It is a one-time purchase and you'll be able to play it as long as you want.
    Developed and published by ArenaNet. 8/10*
    *May subject to change. I have also recently purchased the first one just to learn the lore, it is a bit dated but still nice to play.

- EVE Online - Sci-Fi RPG where you buy ships, explore the universe, trade and battle other people. The only issue with this game is it is a brick to learn, but not impossible. You will need time to master it for sure. It has nice gameplay but feels a bit mechanic.
    Also if you are alone it gets boring pretty quickly, so I suggest joining a big corporation (guild) like EVE University. Worth a try though, it has a free trial.
    Surely it's not for everybody.
    It is subscription based but if you play it enough, you can buy your subscription using in-game money (called PLEX)
    Developed and published by CCPgames 7/10

17. Aria

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Are you my long lost twin, Matt? That list is so similar to what I would put, it's scary!

18. matteos88

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I now realize where your nickname comes from. "Why is she so dang hot?!" That is a great character in ME.
    A few other games that I'd like to endorse are:

- The Witcher / 2 - Great storylines but I do not like the gameplay all that much. The second is poorly optimized and it runs at 8 fps on my machine, reaaally bad. Had to play it in very low resolution to make it playable.

- Mount & Blade Warband - fantasy RPG set in a medieval era. VERY hard to play, it is a few years dated. The campaign map features elements similar to Roguelikes (everybody moves when you move) but the combat is pretty neat.

- War of the Roses - This one is still in beta testing by the publishers over at Paradox. It has combat mechanics very similar to Mount & Blade but it is a MMO player versus player type. It consists on the wars between the two houses of York and Lancaster in medieval England. Worth having a look at some videos on Youtube! Not sure when it will be out though.

19. Praetor

You guys have good taste in games, and have suggested some even I didn't know about!
    I still haven't played any of the Thief games, but I love stealth and they are suppose to be fantastic.

Here's a few more to consider:
    - Splinter Cell (first 3, especially Chaos Theory): Stealth action shooter... what got me hooked on the stealth genre. They are a bit old I guess, but still fun.
    - Total War series: Hands down some of the best strategy I've played can be found in these...the game is essentially a combo of both turn-based and real-time. Shogun 2 is the newest with the best visuals, but many people still prefer Rome or Medieval II.
    - Team Fortress 2: If you like the word FREE, then give it a try. It used to be commercial game, but Valve (makers of Half-Life) decided to make it free to play. It's a simple class-based, fast-paced, cartoony team shooter, allowing for customization and floating upon in its own internet subculture.
    - Hitman series: I got these pretty recently and I really liked them! It's one of those games which rewards patience, and can be tricky, but is very satisfying when you succeed. I think the new one is coming out this November.
    - Civilization IV (with Beyond the Sword expansion if possible): Even though Civ V came out, I still prefer this one. I find the gameplay is more detailed, there's more stuff to do, it plays faster and runs on older machines better. I would say one of the best turn-based strategies out there, and HIGHLY addicting.

I could go on and on :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. the suffering is suuuuper good. scared the crap out of me.