1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adventure games?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Bebop, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Bebop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So anyone into adventure games whether it be old style point and click, current indie titles or whatever? Any recommendations?

My personal favourite game is The longest Journey (together with Dreamfall I suppose) in which I'm really impatiently waiting a follow up to. Another favourite "game" would be To the moon which was just slightly heartbreaking and a great story.

^yep, first post about adventure gaming...

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just finished To the Moon yesterday! :grin:
    If you like adventure games it's a requirement that you play Day of the Tentacle. It's a classic.

3. Bebop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've heard of Day of the Tentacle, know anywhere to get it? That's the most annoying thing about wanting to play all these old games - finding them. GOG.com seems to be the best site I've found though it doesn't have Day of the Tentacle :frowning2:.

4. BornAnew

Dreamfall was amazing :grin:

Do you have a DS? If so

Phoenix Wright games (available on ios too I believe), 999, Ghost Trick (absolutely amazing)

Point & Click adventure games are far too rare nowadays.

5. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm. No idea where to get it today. I mean, it's like $30 used but you wouldn't be able to find a machine to play it on.
    You could always go with the modern Sam and Max and Monkey Island stuff?

6. Bebop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ghost Trick was great! I've got the 3rd Phoenix wright game but I'm waiting until I get the first 2 to play them.

Played Tale of Monkey Island and loved the humour, played a bit of the first episode(?) of Sam and Max season 1 or whatever it's called, worth continuing playing?

7. Ridiculous

If you like Tales (which is great) you will absolutely soil yourself if you play the older ones. They are several times better - which is no mean feat considering Tales is excellent to start with. MI2: Lechuck's Revenge will always be my favourite game.

Same goes for the original Sam & Max. I have only played the first season of the newer ones; they got better as they went on but it wasn't as good as Tales of MI.

Also, if you haven't already you should try the King's Quest games. The atmosphere in them is excellent, particularly in 5 and 6. They are brutal in their gameplay though... unlike LucasArts, you can permanently make the game unwinnable, without even realising until you've played for several hours past the mistake you made. Also some of the puzzles are bizarre, but it's still highly enjoyable.

8. Bebop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Played the first King's Quest game and kind of love how you can screw up your game and not find out for ages. More interested in the Quest for Glory games though by Sierra.

9. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

It's sad that the classic point-and-click adventure game appears to be nearly extinct in the modern era, where people prefer flashy FPS titles to substantive games that might make you have to think.

I agree The Longest Journey was fun, although some of its puzzles were a little illogical (IIRC there was one that required you to think of dipping a gum wrapper in a puddle of ooze or something?) Been six years since I've played it last though, perhaps I should give it another go through.

Was not a big fan of the genre switch to "action-adventure" for Dreamfall , and it was kinda short, though I admit it was still fun.

The Syberia games were pretty good. Return to Mysterious Island wasn't bad either, although it had a certain twist to it toward the end that I didn't care for. Haven't played the sequel.

There are still a lot of classics people have recommended to play for years that I haven't got around to either, like Grim Fandango and the Monkey Island series.

10. Mai Hasegawa

"The Longest Journey" is my favourite, too, along with the worse but still good sequel. I enjoyed Still Life and Culpa Innata and absolutely loved Sanitarium. I Have No Mouth and I must Scream is great, too, albeit dark and depressing (which is a plus for me ;>).

Right now I'm playing Blade Runner from 1997 and I really like what I'm seeing.

11. BornAnew

Definitely play the first 2 before the 3rd! The 5th one was just announced revently :grin:

______

I agree on finding Dreamfalls change in genre slightly odd. But the art direction, music & story basically made me see past how much the "action gameplay" in it failed. God they made the world so compelling & pretty!

12. Kieth11

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The Legend of Zelda series is good. My favorite is Ocarina of Time 3D.
    Also, this is kind of an adventure game, Splinter Cell 3D.

13. Bebop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah a couple of the puzzles were a bit weird in The Longest Journey (the key on the train track was by far the worst) but mostly I thought they were pretty good. Dreamfall was just flat out strange in game play department; there were next to no real puzzles and the fighting, which was pretty crap, wan't in it to much either. The story was by far the biggest draw into both of them and if Dreamfall Chapters finally get released hopefully they can mix a great story with some great puzzles and gameplay as well. And then to wait for The Longest Journey 2. -_-

14. BornAnew

Yeah I still want a resolution to that ending in Dreamfall.

The developers seem to be busy with an MMO though.

Why do all my fav developers go & get busy with MMO's *sigh*

15. Hazel

Hugo's House of Horrors and Exile/Avernum were old favorites. I'll add a point-and-click adventure to my list of games to try making with Python.

16. vladko92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Dragon Age Origins :grin: is the game for me which is adventure one and quite good one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Praetor

Well make sure that you've done all the good classic LucasArts adventures like Day of the Tentacle, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Sam & Max Hit The Road, Monkey Island series, The Dig, etc.

ScummVM is a great free program which allows you to run all the old LucasArts adventure games on newer systems. All you need is the files themselves :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

There's actually a fairly active point'n'click indie community out there today with engines like Adventure Game Studio. If you like horror/thriller stuff at all, I recommend 5 Days A Stranger and the others in that same series (it's free!).

If you haven't already done so (and it is very likely you have) play Myst and Riven, they are good old ones as well. Myst actually had the record for highest-selling PC game I think until The Sims beat the record.

18. vladko92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well I searched for Myst but there is just too many stuffs for Myst I would like the full name if there is one, or if it just this one link to their official website or something like that, personally I've played Indiana Jones I was happy about it, but they still could make it better if you get what I mean... personally I am not such a fan of adventure games without any action in them... like for example after few days the Closed Beta for Marvel Heroes starts and I can't wait to play it... just because I love the Action games and Superheroes and Marvel is my favorite University... especially Storm from there, I even though why don't I post one thread about Marvel Heroes :slight_smile: to see what have the people to say and I actually I will do it right after I post this comment but yea... I am not such a big fan of LucasArts... there is sometimes something in their games which pretty much almost every time I dislike so yea I don't know much about LucasArts games I am more into Ubisoft and Companies like Ubisoft :slight_smile:

19. Bebop

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The first game is just called Myst, though there was an updated version of it released later called Myst: masterpiece edition which can be found on steam if you have it or from GOG.com.