1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What computer are you using and what is your opinion on it?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by PowerGuyG4, Oct 2, 2012.

1. PowerGuyG4

PowerGuyG4 Guest

I was just curious because I couldn't think of anything else.

I'm on my Certified Data computer, I love it when GTA IV doesn't take over the operating system.

I wish I was on my PowerMac G4 MDD at the moment however, I haven't used it in forever because I don't have a USB keyboard I can use it with. But it is a very nice machine despite being about 11 years old already.

2. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    An old 450mhz Pentium III / Windows 98 - (sortof a home-built thing)

Might be old, but it does what I need...

3. ForceAndVerve

I just bought my new pc (bought components and built it myself to save money)

i5 2570k
    Generic 8 gig Corsair RAM
    600W corsair PSU
    NZXT Phantom 410 case (in white :grin:)

And using the old graphics card from my old pc which is a GTS 450 -.-

It handles eveything I need it to do very well. I only really play wow so the graphics card suffices. If I were playing more recent/challenging titles I may have had to upgrade.

4. PowerGuyG4

PowerGuyG4 Guest

Haha you're awesome :slight_smile: I have a couple of Windows 98 machines however I don't use them for anything.

My Certified Data is really crammed with files so it's slow at times despite having an overclocked AMD CPU.

I could take one of my Compaq Deskpro's, install Windows 98 on it and use it as a bedroom computer :grin:

---------- Post added 2nd Oct 2012 at 09:10 PM ----------

What's the performance like? Is it fast? My next computer is going to be a Dell All-in-one with similar specs. Do you play GTA IV?

---------- Post added 2nd Oct 2012 at 09:14 PM ----------

Certified Data:
    4GB DDR2 PC-6400 RAM @ 667MHz
    AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 4000+ @ 2.11GHz (Overclocked to 2.80GHz)
    ATI Graphics with 1.5GB Video Memory
    250GB Seagate Hard Drive :frowning2:
    Windows XP Home Edition :slight_smile:

PowerMac G4:
    2GB DDR1 PC-2700 RAM @ 333MHz
    Dual PowerPC G4 CPU's @ 1.25GHz each (Two physical CPU's)
    ATI Graphics with 64MB Video Memory
    120GB Seagate Hard Drive (Not bad)
    Mac OS X 10.4.11

5. Delta

I'm on my nice, new MacBook Pro with a retina display, 16 Gigs of memory, 250 gigs of storage, and a 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7. Oh yeah, baby. Oh yeah. The storage is kinda skimpy, but I don't mind. I can always get an EHD for that. The screen is to die for, naturally, and it's so so so fast. It has an SSD rather than a hard disk, so it's silent, and speedy. I can use it for my CAD work and my other homework, and everything. I haven't had a problem with it in any way, but it's also only a month old. I'll get back to you in three years about that. XD

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Very nice rigs people have!

This is the second computer I have ever assembled, and I think it's definitely pretty good, but by no means "enthusiast" grade:

Intel Core i7 2600K (mother board only feels safe to clock it to 3.5 GHz)
    EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 580 1.5 GB RAM
    16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM 1600 MHz
    1 TB Caviar Black WD Hard Drive (operating system partitions and data)
    Some kind of Crucial SSD, forget what. Only 32 GB. (Games)
    Some random ASUS Z68 Chipset motherboard

I like it, but there are some improvements I could make, like a bigger case. I think that it was a good place to cut the cost of the system. I'd also like to add water cooling. Since I got more into athletics and less into gaming, it's possible I may not ever make those improvements.

7. PowerGuyG4

PowerGuyG4 Guest

If I were to get a MacBook Pro, I'd go for the original because the RAM is soldered to the Logic Board. I like that power but it must've cost a fortune. Sort of like this one HP Workstation Laptop I've had my eye on which can be expanded to about 32-48GB of RAM and have two physical Intel Xeon Mobile CPU's or something like that.

Apple should put Xeons in their MacBook Pros.

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a 2011 macbook pro. I have it more RAM and memory because I do a lot of video editing.

9. PowerGuyG4

PowerGuyG4 Guest

That's a pretty nice computer. My computer is nothing to brag about. Believe it or not, when I purchased it brand new in 2007 or something like that it only had 1GB of RAM...Which is pathetic. It can go up to 8GB of RAM but my operating system is not 64 bit.

And yeah, I overclocked my CPU up to about 3.5GHz but that blew up capacitors inside the computer and it was very unstable so I lowered it to 2.80GHz.

I can build my own computer but I do not have the patience like you or some other people.

Oh, and maybe you could install some case lights, they're really cool. Put them in some kind of case grate or something like that.

10. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've got the same as Kitsune. I also have an Asus G74S which is pretty awesome. Funny thing is though, a good 1/4 of the students at my school have that. So IT is gonna be easy to work with, whatever I'm using.

As for my mac, it's pretty okay. I'm still learning the functions of it, but for the most part, it's okay.

11. PowerGuyG4

PowerGuyG4 Guest

I'd love to have a MacBook Pro for video editing, but I don't have the money. That's actually why I bought my PowerMac G4 for $60...To run iMovie.

My main computer (Certified Data) does video editing well, I just can't render anything in 1080p HD due to bad capacitors in it. I use Sony Vegas Pro 10 which is amazing software, I believe the equivalent software for Mac is Final Cut Pro or something...

---------- Post added 2nd Oct 2012 at 10:43 PM ----------

Yeah, everyone's got a more powerful computer than me :grin:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around Mac OS X. I feel as if it has 'reduced functionality' when compared to Windows which bothers me.

But hey, I still like it :slight_smile:

12. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm gonna suggest you use something: A PC mouse. Like.. either a mouse with USB cord, or a wireless mouse with the USB adapter. It helped me transition from PC to mac.

I will say, however, that the touchpad and the way it works is SO helpful, especially while editing: I can zoom across the timeline at lightning speed :lol:

13. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to run Final Cut Pro 7.. But then I updated my computer and it no longer supports it. The new version of Final Cut Pro is shit... So I'm most likely changing to avid.

14. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. Don't do that. Avid is crap. FCPX is better, at least imo.

Premiere Pro is amazing, though. It really has EVERYTHING you need, and the new CS6 is awesome. There's features that make me want to get the full thing (Namely adjustment layers).. and if there's something you want, there's a way to get it as a plugin (you usually have to buy it, though)

15. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We are not allowed to use FCPX at my school anymore. We are switching to avid or premiere. Apple took a good professional software and made it into another consumer tool. I also hate the fact that you cannot put old projects into it..

Also magnetic timeline= really bad Idea IMO. All it did was constantly mess up my projects. There were some good features on it.. Like the color correction... But the rest is crap.

16. armsoutfarther

I have a Dell Inspiron 15, and I love it. I have about 8 games installed on here from Steam and it doesn't lag at all. It does everything I need so I'm not complaining. Though I want to get into editing soon (maybe get Photoshop CS5 or CS6. I have GIMP but I'd think Photoshop would be better).

17. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But there's ways around the magnetic timeline. It's easily done, too. Once you're past that, it's very workable.

18. ForceAndVerve

I dont I'm afraid, but I'm fairly certain the i5 3570k can handle anything you throw at it if you pair it with a decent GPU.

Sandybridge and ivybridge are very good CPUs with very good overclocking potential, even Ivy bridge with its heat related issues.

My 450 is old old tech. When save up more money, I'll get something a little more, recent, maybe a 660 or something. :slight_smile:

19. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Right now one of them cheap netbooks (Toshiba NB200?), good enough for email/chat/basic websites, and easy to put away/discreet (that was more a concern with roommates). Screen resolution sucks on many websites (only get half a page, constantly scrolling up/down), and can't load too many things at once or it gets really sluggish. Keyboard's got a nice size, trackpad is ok.

20. PowerGuyG4

PowerGuyG4 Guest

Yeah, I already do use a PC mouse with my Mac, besides, I do not even have an Apple mouse. I've also ordered an Apple Classic keyboard for it, the ones that shipped with the original iMac G3's. Just am not sure what color it is. Could be pink or indigo.

I would not be able to fully switch from PC to Mac, I'd lose so many programs and games. And user-serviceability which for me is a must have in any computer I own, so I can upgrade the hardware at will.

---------- Post added 3rd Oct 2012 at 10:07 AM ----------

Apparently iMovie '06 is the best version out there and apparently the rest suck, but that's what I've heard.

At least you can run Final Cut Pro! As far as I'm concerned it doesn't support PowerPC Macs lol.

---------- Post added 3rd Oct 2012 at 10:08 AM ----------

You should try and get an i7, or an i9 when those are released. That's what I'll be getting my Dell or HP all-in-one with. I've also gotta make sure it can support 16GB of RAM or more.