1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broadband & wireless help! Needed ASAP

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Ty, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Ty

Ty Guest

Okay well at the moment Im around my nan's trying to set up wireless internet for her. She bought a netgear router today.

Shes with tesco broadband and has a USB modem and the internet only connects when you click 'connect' on a special pop up window (i'll show a screenshot if ya want/need one).

The netgear router is also a modem and it uses a ethernet cable to connect. I tried unplugging the tesco modem, adding the phone wire onto that and clicking 'connect' on the program, but it doesn't seem to want to connect to the internet. Is there any way i can change the settings to not connect through the USB modem and to get it though my new one? or if worst comes to worst, can i just simply use the tesco modem and wirelessly send the internet via the computer to the wireless router?

If I have missed anything out please say.. Hopefully i'll get a response soon - im not sure where else to look on the internet for advice, and I know Paul's usually good with the internets :wink:

Thankes!

/Ty

P.S - Im on Winblows XP btw:slight_smile:

#1 Ty, Feb 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2008
  2. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Routers are not modems. The WAN port is ethernet and must connect to an ethernet source, NOT a phone line.

Your only hope is to get an ethernet modem from the internet service provider, which would connect to the computer by ethernet and not USB. Then move the plug to the router, and then for DSL normally you would set up the router to connect to a PPPoE connection, where you would enter the internet logon username and password.

And when you enter the username / password into the router you do not use any special login program on the computer, as the router handles it.

If you're lucky the modem might already have an ethernet and USB port.

3. Ty

Ty Guest

This router has a modem built in. And the current modem only has a usb connection.

4. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What is the exact model number of the router?

5. Ty

Ty Guest

I think it's

Netgear - DGB111G

?

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

It will be a Netgear DG834G probably. Most Netgear ADSL routers work the same way anyway.

Forget about the Tesco software on the PC, that cannot control the router at all. You could probably uninstall it later.

Connect the router to the PC using an Ethernet cable (not USB). Then it just uses the standard networking in Windows and doesn't need any extra software.

On the bottom of the router there should be an IP address (probably '192,168.0.1'), username (which will be 'admin') and password (which will probably be 'password'). Open Firefox or Internet Explorer and type http://192.168.0.1 (or whatever the IP address is) in the address bar. It should ask you for the username and password, which is the ones on the router.

Then click 'Setup Wizard' at the top left (if it doesn't start with that anyway), set the country to UK, let it detect the connection type, then enter the username and password for the connection provided by Tesco.net. That should be all you need to do to get it working. It's worth changing the router password for security, and writing the new one on the bottom of the router.

Netgear routers are good, straightforward to set up (everything defaults to something sensible), and reliable.

7. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OK I came across this page looking for tesco info:
    http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t15807.html
    And a manual for a Netgear DG834G router (can't find the DGB111). The configuration of yours is probably similar.
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834Gv4.asp

First you need to know the login and password for the internet. This should be provided in documentation by the Tesco, and the username is probably visible on the "special pop up window"

Once you have the comptuer connected to the router (by ethernet or wireless) open a web browser and goto http://192.168.0.1
    username :"admin" password :"password"
    goto setup wizard, select your country and goto auto-detect connection.

It probably will find PPPoA, it will want a log in and password.
    The login is probably in the form of [email protected]
    password either your nan will know or it will be in documentation that came with the service.

Hit apply and it should try to connect.

8. Ty

Ty Guest

Well I connected the phone cable into the netgear and the ethernet to the back of the computer and then typed in the ip address, but nothing happened :frowning2: Am i sposed to let the computer know im going through the ethernet port? if so, how do i do that?

9. Ty

Ty Guest

Wow thanks! As soon as i can get the router to talk to my computer, in theory, it looks like it'll work:grin:

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

In Internet Explorer choose Tools, Options. Click the Connection tab and choose "never dial a connection". Click the LAN Settings button and make sure everything is unticked. These settings apply even if you are not using IE (they affect the internet connection for the whole PC).

Now try again.

If it still doesn't work then maybe the ethernet port has been disabled in Windows. Assuming it's Windows XP, go to Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager. If there is a red X on the ethernet port (which is in Network Adaptors), right-click and enable it.

Then go to Control Panel, Network Connections (or whatever it's called), double-click the connection, scroll to TCP/IP and select it, click Properties and make sure Obtain IP Address... and Obtain DNS... are set to ...automatically.

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If you are talking about your Mac rather than her PC, I don't know. You'll need a Mac expert! Having said that, most operating systems default to having the Ethernet port automatically detect the connection so it should just work. I didn't have to do anything fancy with the old Mac I use for website testing with OS-X 10.4, so that defaults as expected.

If you have changed the network configuration of the Mac to suit your home network it may not connect to your gran's router. You may need to set it back to automatically detecting for now then reset it again at home later.

12. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And once you follow Paul's advice, when you connect the cable between the computer and the router, you should see in the system tray on the bottom right an icon that looks like two computers with a scrolling yellow box. After a couple seconds the yellow box should disappear and it will give you a message about being connected. If you get an exclamation point "!" and a message "limited or no connectivity" there's some issues.

As well the router should light up on the corresponding port. So if you plug the computer into LAN port 2 on the router, a "2" should light up on the front of the router in either green or orange.

#12 Kenko, Feb 3, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2008