Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > General Chat > Technology, Gaming, Soft-& Hardware

Technology, Gaming, Soft-& Hardware Chat about gaming, technology, computer software and hardware, MP3 players, gadgets etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13th Oct 2012, 04:11 PM   #1
Well Known

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: Some people

Default Intel Ivy Bridge vs Atom?

I am going to get a tablet pc once windows 8 comes out and I am sort of concerned about how much less powerful Atom is than ivy bridge. I know it dramatically increases battery life but I can live with 4 hours as opposed to 10. I couldn't find anything about the performance levels of the two but then again I'm not too well informed so do any of you guys have any more to add. Feel free to add anything; what I should/n't get...anything. Thanks a lot

None. They fear change even if it means making a brighter future.
grizzleybear33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2012, 05:18 PM   #2
This space for lease.

Orientation: I like guys
Out Status: Out to everyone

Default Re: Intel Ivy Bridge vs Atom?

What are you going to be doing with it?

I have an Atom based system and it is great for what I use it for. I use mine as a router, which really and Atom is overkill for.
All the problems of the world could be settled easily if men were only willing to think. The trouble is that men very often resort to all sorts of devices in order not to think, because thinking is such hard work.
--Thomas J. Watson
starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2012, 11:47 PM   #3
PowerGuyG4

Tournaments Won: 43

Default Re: Intel Ivy Bridge vs Atom?

Ivy Bridge is much, much, MUCH more powerful and is way faster and efficient. But it's more power consuming. But you can run apps and programs way faster and better, and they'll be more efficient. And by efficient I do not mean power efficient, I mean time efficient. The Ivy Bridge is good for more graphics intense applications, games, and graphic presentations.

An Intel Atom is just a basic, low-power CPU that drastically saves energy. But it reduces performance in certain applications. It's good for Internet browsing, email and word documents and spread sheets.

Depending on what you need the tablet for, you should make a decision. For gaming and multimedia work, Ivy Bridge is perfect. For Internet and email, Atom is perfect.