1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phantasy Star

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by bubblyhappy, Oct 13, 2012.

1. bubblyhappy

bubblyhappy Guest

Anyone played Phantasy Star for sms.
    what did you think of it?
    was it a good rpg?

2. Dodonnas

Dodonnas Guest

I have played virtually every Phantasy Star game that exists. I recall the first one fondly, and played it rather intensely (I remember being very angry I couldn't beat a boss I believe was in the governors mansion...though it wasn't required to progress). Finding all the good weapons and armour was fun and what-not and I was more into grindy fun back then.

But as with most old games, while amazing for it's time (pseudo 3D was awesome, and I recall being able to talk to some enemies), it's dated by today's standards and even I find it difficult to pick back up and enjoy as I once did.

In the end though, you have no idea how difficult it is to look menacing in pink.

3. bubblyhappy

bubblyhappy Guest

yea I remember the pseudo 3d dungeons. that was awesome. I did like the theme relating to space and Algol esp. in a console rpg back in those days since the competitor was Dragon Warrior and FF1 which was more fantasy setting.

4. Dodonnas

Dodonnas Guest

Phantasy Star probably started my fascination with more space themed RPGs (omg mass effect). In the later games you gain access to cool cyborgs (as party members) and can travel to the different planets in the Algo system (PS4? Or am I confused?). PS3 was a bit of a weak point, but I recall enjoying the selective breeding of each generation to much.

I still play PS Online 1+2 on the gamecube every once in awhile, it was one of the first online games I played and I learned a lot about people being awful for the sake of being awful.

Oh the time spent grinding on all those games...I'd hate to think how many lifetimes I wasted on Phantasy Star alone let alone all the other RPGs I have played.